Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am actually doing a little research. My son will soon be in the market for a new/used/different bike.
He has been riding 3 years, rides about 15k miles/year, maybe more now that we moved to Arizona.
He currently rides a Yamaha FZ-07. Great starter bike, great bike overall but he is ready for something bigger.
He is smooth and fast as hell on the canyons despite the FZ lousy suspension.
Anyway, we both think considering his riding habits (miles) a new 1k would be a great do it all bike. He is toying with the idea of a used Tuono (fantastic bike) but being budget conscience im afraid the long term costs are a bit much for someone his age. Plus I think that bike is overkill for tight roads. He is young, plenty of time for finicky Italian bikes.
I used to own one some years ago and he used to ride on the back.
Anyway, what is the general consensus on the 1k ability for canyon carving? I know its a bit heavy but I get that because it is technically a sport tourer.
Can someone speak to the sport riding side of the bike? I know its worlds better than what he currently has.
Any feedback would be appreciated. He is looking at the 2020 model.
Thanks folks

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
With out luggage the bike is right at 500, then with an after market exhaust 480 is reachable. Still not a light bike but it wears its weight pretty low.
Three mods transform the over all handling of the bike.
One. Get rid of the OEM tires as they are not the same tires baught off the shelf, and change the rear to a 190 55 17. This will reduces the effort needed to lean and hold the bike down.
Two. Ditch the OEM brake pads, they are a conservative compound.
Three. Have the suspension set up correctly.
If buying new all of these can be bargained for.

As for the bikes capability, itll run mid 10s in the 1/4.
I routinely ride with late model Sport Bikes, and have never been left behind and on two occasions when leeding made corners others couldn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With out luggage the bike is right at 500, then with an after market exhaust 480 is reachable. Still not a light bike but it wears its weight pretty low.
Three mods transform the over all handling of the bike.
One. Get ride of the OEM tires as they are not the same tires baught off the shelf, and change the rear to a 190 55 17. This will reduces the effort needed to lean and hold the bike down.
Two. Ditch the OEM brake pads, they are a conservative compound.
Three. Have the suspension set up correctly.
If buying new all of these can be bargained for.
Thanks!
Let me ask, I know they tweeked the geometry slightly for 2020..Is it still necessary to switch to the larger tire, or is that TBD?

I know they post the weight at around 525 and I assumed that is without the bags because the bags are an optional add on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
How old is he, height, weight and inseam?

I am old, only 5'-6" maybe a 1/2" less now, have T-Rex arms and while I miss the 362 lb N400 I love the N1000 even and at 526 lbs. The switch to a 190/55 was quite obvious and I don't push it all that hard in the corners.

The 2020 offers the quick shifter and electronic cruise over the the 17-19, I bought a 17 wanting the advanced electronics "nannys" over the pre-17 and what do you know, that is the first problems I have encountered.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Is it necessary is totally dependent on the rider. I would try it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
At 59 years old and not particularly strong I have no problem hustling the Ninja 1000 down a winding road and no issue keeping up with lighter sport bikes. It takes a little more effort due to the weight but the bike is more than capable of felonious apex hunting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts