Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)
I purchased a new CRG clutch lever. It is the folding roll-a-click. It is a better fit for my hand which is what I was looking for. However, now I can't start the bike by simply pulling in the clutch like I could before. Is that just a matter of tightening it down enough? I have tightened it up several times, but it has not made a difference.
2)
I put on the Murphs' risers. I have the same issue everyone else has with it changing the clutch lever angle. I don't mind so much really, but I don't know why (and don't care ATM). What does bug me is that the black coating is coming off. It looks like crap. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, did you do anything about it?
3)
This one is a little vague in that I am not sure what is going on. I have the Puig windscreen. I love the look, though in function it is not much better than stock (IMO). When I hit about 115 mph, (on closed track, etc.) I get a vibration in the steering that I don't like. It is subtle, but still leaves me with a bit of an unsettled feeling in the stomach. I have no reason for it, but I "feel" like it might be the windscreen. Has anyone else noticed this, or should I maybe focus elsewhere like the tire or forks?

Thanks for any thoughts, help, or advice.

·
Registered
316 Posts
#2 - that stinks.. been considering getting a set but i'd be less than thrilled if the paint was coming off of them...

#3 - Likely a tire or balance issue if you are feeling it through the bars.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
#3 - I have the Puig and I've had the bike up to 130 on a closed track. Didn't notice a vibration.

Dang, I'd be tempted to send those bar risers back. You could always have them professionally powder coated although what a PITA

·
Registered
156 Posts
Javarob--the anodized coating on my Murph's risers is perfect so I have to believe your situation is an exception. Also, my Puig windscreen is fine at any speed and does not contribute to steering vibration.

·
Registered
125 Posts
#2 - No issue here.. Contact Murphs and see if you can get a replacement..

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
My puig windscreen does vibarate even at idle i can put my hand on it and it will stop it is tight, it makes noise when i just wipe it off but really no concern here. I believe id call them on the risers or as stated in the previous post if you can find a powder coater it should be dirt cheap. The clutch lever must not be adjusted right if its not starting with it pulled in, you do have the side stand up when you are trying to start itwith the clutch pulled in?

·
Registered
127 Posts
haven't noticed any problems with my puig screen.

·
Registered
367 Posts
1)
I purchased a new CRG clutch lever. It is the folding roll-a-click. It is a better fit for my hand which is what I was looking for. However, now I can't start the bike by simply pulling in the clutch like I could before. Is that just a matter of tightening it down enough? I have tightened it up several times, but it has not made a difference.
If it is adjustable, then just forget about the adjustability.
I have an adjustable lever as well for the clutch, and I can only pull the clutch fully, when it is in the highest setting (aka like OEM).
Nothing you can do about it. The cable has a longer distance to travel, and on all settings except the highest, your lever is bumping your grips before it is 100% clutch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the suggestions! I have sent a pic of the risers to the original email for the kit. We will see what happens. I will tighten up the suspension, been meaning to do that anyway. Hopefully that will make a difference.

It looks like I am just kind of screwed on the lever. I would not have spent the $110 if I had known that. It is not the end of the world, but I don't like it.

I got the wife a Ninja 250. After watching me for years, she got the bug at 50! Made it thru MSF. She was doing really great, but then dropped it on an ugly little corner in town (going slow, just a bruise for her). Massive damage to her pride though. Thirty dudes jumped out of their car to help, she was so freaking embarrassed. She really, really does not want to be the "stupid girl" on a bike. I felt bad for her.

So now I am getting familiar with ABS repair. I was too cheap to buy the $200 dollar sliders, now I have spent more than that on materials to fix it. Live and learn...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I bought some Amazon/EBay levers, and have not experienced the issue you have. They eere ~40 for the set.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought some Amazon/EBay levers, and have not experienced the issue you have. They eere ~40 for the set.
Yea, that sounds about right. 1/3 the price and it works better... I put those in my cart a dozen times, but was scared of the stuff I read about the front brake dragging and then locking up. I could have gotten something that matched the color better too. I really liked the adjustable length ones I found on ebay. I may just get them and try it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yea, that sounds about right. 1/3 the price and it works better... I put those in my cart a dozen times, but was scared of the stuff I read about the front brake dragging and then locking up. I could have gotten something that matched the color better too. I really liked the adjustable length ones I found on ebay. I may just get them and try it.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorstar-Motorcycle-Accessories-Two-Color-Adjustable/dp/B00O0I4RE8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1463068139&sr=8-12&keywords=mOTORSTAR+mOTORCYCLE+aCCESSORIES+A+PAIR+OF+TWO-COLOR+LONG+STANDARD+LENGTH+STYLE

That is the set I went with.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
The answer to number 1 - The stock clutch lever has a neutral safety switch. With it disconnected, or not functioning correctly, the bike's ECU thinks that the clutch is not pulled in, thus won't let you start when in a gear. Does your aftermarket lever not use this? I'm betting not, as most don't. This is one of those nanny features I can't stand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The answer to number 1 - The stock clutch lever has a neutral safety switch. With it disconnected, or not functioning correctly, the bike's ECU thinks that the clutch is not pulled in, thus won't let you start when in a gear. Does your aftermarket lever not use this? I'm betting not, as most don't. This is one of those nanny features I can't stand.
I don't know of a way to check this, but it makes sense. I spent more than you would on some ebay lever just so I would not have any issues. If you can tell me how I check for this I certainly will.

So I sent a picture of the risers to Gary. He dropped a new pair in the mail the next day. That is all you can ask for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have ASV levers and had to modify (shorten) the clutch switch plunger.
I didn't notice any type of plunger, but I wasn't looking for one either. I will try to find it and see if it looks like it will make a difference. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Take a look at the left side controls. There should be a harness that goes to those controls, for the lights, horn, etc. Underneath that there should be a two-pin connection. That's for the neutral safety switch. We have two. One for the kickstand, and one at the lever. I'm not sure what years have this, maybe they all do? I know my '14 has it. Anyways, when you pull in the clutch on a stock unit, it completes the circuit, telling the ECU that the clutch is pulled in and it's OK to allow it to go into gear. Just jumper the bugger, and it will forever be a completed circuit, eliminating the problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Take a look at the left side controls. There should be a harness that goes to those controls, for the lights, horn, etc. Underneath that there should be a two-pin connection. That's for the neutral safety switch. We have two. One for the kickstand, and one at the lever. I'm not sure what years have this, maybe they all do? I know my '14 has it. Anyways, when you pull in the clutch on a stock unit, it completes the circuit, telling the ECU that the clutch is pulled in and it's OK to allow it to go into gear. Just jumper the bugger, and it will forever be a completed circuit, eliminating the problem.
So yea, that is the issue with the clutch. I set the adjustment to 6, which puts the lever furthest away from the bar. When you pull in the clutch with it on that setting, it opens enough to let the plunger (or whatever that is) fully extend and so the bike will start. So I either need to shorten that thing, or get some finger extenders to be able to reach the clutch lever.

I put on the new risers today and dropped the others in the mail. They look so much better. I loosened the clamp for the clutch lever and scooted it tight to the controls, which gave me enough room to set the clutch at the proper angle.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts