Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently picked up an 87 1000r in almost immaculate condition. However the gas tank is rotted inside. Anyone in here have any leads on a gas tank for this bike?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
Unfortunately I have no knowledge about gas tank replacement/repairs, but just wanted to say beautiful looking bike. That's a great purchase.
Cheers and happy hunting for the tank solution.

Reactions: rcannon409

Registered
Recently picked up an 87 1000r in almost immaculate condition. However the gas tank is rotted inside. Anyone in here have any leads on a gas tank for this bike? View attachment 32485
No idea on where you may be able to get a gas tank, but I know that I've heard of a lot of people fixing their rusty gas tanks on older bikes; it does of course depend on exactly what is wrong with it, but generally the issue is that rust has formed inside the tank, so the process is removing that rust (a mix of physical and chemical removal), then coating the inside of the tank to protect it and seal any pinholes. Something else to consider is the hardware: the petcock and pickup tubes. These can also corrode and be a source of debris.
I would think that if the outside of the tank looks as good all around as it appears in your picture, you should be able to save the tank.

Registered
Ebay is your friend, but something that old will be a hard find. Even if you get lucky, whatever you might find likely won't be in any better condition than the one you already have. You'd be better off trying to recondition yours. Eastwood Auto Restoration Supplies - Eastwood Auto is a good source for working on older vehicles.

Registered
Many years ago I bought a tank that was rusted inside. I bought a product that you slosh around the inside to coat it. The instructions were to slosh around muriatic acid first. The acid actually dissolved my petcock, so don鈥檛 make that mistake. Take it off and plug it with something else. Suit up, muriatic acid fumes are not something to take lightly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you a for you input, The PO used the acid to etch the inside and little tiny bubbles formed under the paint on the top of the tank. That's actually how i was able to acquire the bike. Yes, it was freebie! The lines and carbs are clean as is the petcock. I'll try a an auto restoration place to see if it can be repaired.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CMS carries parts for a lot of older bikes. They don't have that particular tank in stock at the moment but it's probably more than what you paid for the bike.
CMS carries parts for a lot of older bikes. They don't have that particular tank in stock at the moment but it's probably more than what you paid for the bike.

MSP, on the other hand, may have one.
Would there be a difference in A1 and A2 or is that year ID thing?

Registered
My understanding (and it may be wrong) is A1 designates the first model year and A2 is the second year of production. I believe your model was only produced in 1986 and 1987. If I was going to order a tank for it, I'd email the vendor with the model number and VIN and have them confirm fitment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding (and it may be wrong) is A1 designates the first model year and A2 is the second year of production. I believe your model was only produced in 1986 and 1987. If I was going to order a tank for it, I'd email the vendor with the model number and VIN and have them confirm fitment.
So the Msp website shows they used them in 86 and 87..n Thank you for the reply

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well MSP had a complete tank and it was expensive but worth it to me. Thank you all for your help and input. Can't wait to get this piece of history back on the road. Might have to dig out the old denim jacket though. Haha

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update...MSP didn't update their site so they refunded my money, however I found a couple places that can repair mine. I also think I found a red one in great shape in Denver so will see

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No idea on where you may be able to get a gas tank, but I know that I've heard of a lot of people fixing their rusty gas tanks on older bikes; it does of course depend on exactly what is wrong with it, but generally the issue is that rust has formed inside the tank, so the process is removing that rust (a mix of physical and chemical removal), then coating the inside of the tank to protect it and seal any pinholes. Something else to consider is the hardware: the petcock and pickup tubes. These can also corrode and be a source of debris.
I would think that if the outside of the tank looks as good all around as it appears in your picture, you should be able to save the tank.
The picture is for attention. I haven,t gotten a good pic of mine yet but I will. The pin hole blisters under the paint on top are super small so the guy at Vintage Monkey says he can fix it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts