Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 with 13k miles and with a fairly new 16/41 SuperSprox and an RK chain. On a recent trip, I began noticing a whining sound coming from the motor while in 6th gear between 50-60mph. If pull in the cluth, the whine goes away. If I downshift to 5th gear, the whine goes away.

Is this a normal sound for this motor? If not, is it possible that the whine is caused by the aftermarket front sprocket which does not have a rubber damper? I'm hoping this sound is not indicative of a problem:plain:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would say it is the chain/sprocket combo.

I recently changed to JT rubber front sprocket with EK 3d chain and rear steel supersprox and I have no issue.

When you are decelerating does it vibrate more then usual? What chain lube are you using?

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
Years ago, Yamaha had a bike with an enclosed chain. It was a 920cc , v twin. Not the Virago, as it was more of a standard bike. Wish I had one, now. They sold like ****, and its probably going to be collectible.

Even though the stock exhausts, back then, were noisy, you would not have believed how quiet that bike was as the chain was even more quiet than a shaft drive. Chains make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't understand why the whining noise I'm hearing is only in 6th gear at 50-60mph. If the chain/sprockets are causing the noise, the noise should be heard in 5th gear at 50-60mph. The chain and sprockets are moving at the same speed in both gears, so if they are the culprit, the noise should be the same...(?)

Funny, I remember that exact XV920 you are referring to; probably the only mass produced bike with an enclosed chain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the rpms are higher in 5th at the same mph. But the chain and sprocket is moving at the same speed whether in 5th or 6th. It's possible engine noise due to the higher rpms in 5th are masking the whining sound I'm hearing. When I shift to 6th, the noise becomes quite apparent.

I'm going to try a front sprocket with a rubber damper on it next, to see if that makes a difference.

wouldn't the rpms be higher in fifth given same mph

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you use the OEM with the rubber damper just be aware that the chain will make lots of strange noises until the inner chain plates seat into the rubber. Also the chain slack will loosen up a good bit after it seats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes the rpms are higher in 5th at the same mph. But the chain and sprocket is moving at the same speed whether in 5th or 6th. It's possible engine noise due to the higher rpms in 5th are masking the whining sound I'm hearing. When I shift to 6th, the noise becomes quite apparent.

I'm going to try a front sprocket with a rubber damper on it next, to see if that makes a difference.
At the right RPM in 6th, I can also hear a slight gear whine type of noise from my bike. I have ~10k miles and the stock chain and sprockets. I also had an FZ1 which had even louder gear whine in 6th.

I think it's probably just gear whine from the transmission. These are straight cut gears which can create a whine noise. I'd say it's probably normal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the front sprocket with Part #13144-1320 which has a rubber damper. I'm not noticing any dramatic improvement in the 6th gear whine, so either it's the chain/rear sprocket or the transmission.

I rode my friend's 2014 Ninja 1000, and did notice a similar whine, but not as pronounced as my bike. But I have lowered clipons which may have an affect, not sure..

·
Registered
142 Posts
How tight are you setting the chain?

I would suggest running a max of 1 inch slack on the chain. It likes to be slightly loose IMO.

I run EK 3D chain and Amsoil chain lube. No noise, with chain slack around an inch. .8 - 1.2inch is what the book calls for.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looking for a new chain, I heard today that the stock one is on National Backorder.

Stock chain is EK, sounds like the EK 3d chain might be better?

Mine's original, lasted more miles than a chain has a right to. I ordered stock sprockets for the same reason.

I don't recall a whine noise. In 6th gear I basically only hear wind noise.

I'm curious about sprocket/chain combination success/fails. Good luck with yours.

Maybe get a noisier helmet? ;)

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
Jr, I don't think the stock chain is anything special, or worth waiting for. The chain Proto20 mentioned, EK3D is a great choice. It's not cheap. It's priced about 50.00 more than what you might pay for another brand.

However, it is in that "premium chain" category, and is well worth spending the extra money for.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks rcannon. I ended up buying an EK ZVX3.

I shopped for the 3D, but when I asked, the tech said it might be better for racing, maybe not last as long for touring. No idea how true that is.
Everyone agrees that all chains in the premium category are good ones.

The best advice I heard was the same as yours.
Basically, you can get a better chain than stock, for less money.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
That chain you bought is definately not a step down.....If that's not "top of the line" I don't know what would be.

What sprockets are you using?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Reviving this 6th gear whine thread...

So I just found out that Rotella T4/T6 is no longer API SL/SM/SN rated. I have unknowingly used this oil in my bike for about 8k miles. Perhaps the cause of the 6th gear whine? It sounds like the SL rating, etc.. has more to do with protecting a catalytic converter than anything, meaning less zinc and phosphorous. Sounds like Rotella probably has more ppm zinc and phosphorous, which act as anti-wear agents. I think I'm starting to answer my own question..

Hopefully not sparking an oil thread..

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
If you still have the original sprocket, up front, then all bets are off. Figure that old front sprocket was worn into your old chain, and the two matched up together. Now the new chain is being forced, by a lot of power and torque to match up to something thats worn. It wont take many miles to wear that new chain into the old sprocket. Im not sure what kind of noise that makes. Its not unheard of to snap the new chain when trying to force it on to an old sprocket.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
My '14 Ninja developed a bit of whine in 6th gear somewhere in the 40k-50k mile range. Definitely 6th gear, went away in 5th and not particularly annoying, just noticeable. I do wear earplugs, however.

I'm partial to DID chains and have used ZVMX gold chains of theirs for a long time. Plating keeps the rust away up here in the rainy PNY. I also use OEM front sprockets (16T w/ rubber) and Sunstar or JT rear sprockets.
The only "bad" O/X-ring chains I've had were the horrible EK OEM chain that came on my 2011 Ninja and an RK O-ring chain I put on a '99 VFR800. Neither of these could be nursed to anywhere near 20k miles. Other chains normally give me 25k-30k miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts