Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weather is getting good here in TN so I took my 15 to a local, small shop today for the 600 mile service. A much larger multi-brand dealer/shop wanted to charge over $500 for the service. This guy, who is only a mechanic and not a dealer is charging around $150. He claims to have worked at a Kawasaki dealership for many years before opening his own shop. I guess the large overhead expenses at the big dealership drive up the cost. I already changed the oil and he's going to change out the brake fluid and coolant for me in addition to whatever else the service requires. Can't wait to get out and ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why on earth would you need to change the brake fluid and coolant on the 600 mile service? Adjust the chain, change the oil/filter and go ride!

Oh scratch that...I see it's 15....probabably a good idea, haha!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I'll be the devils advocate here.
150 dollars is cheap. To cheap.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why on earth would you need to change the brake fluid and coolant on the 600 mile service? Adjust the chain, change the oil/filter and go ride!

Oh scratch that...I see it's 15....probabably a good idea, haha!
Yeah, it was a new leftover 15 I bought last year.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be the devils advocate here.
150 dollars is cheap. To cheap.
I was surprised by the quote as well. There was a 3rd shop that quoted me $250. This guy is very local and has been in business for awhile at this location. It's a small shop that never seems to be lacking for business.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
The dealerships often times price stuff as a "major" or "minor" service, and not really prices reflecting the actual work that's going to be done. Due to the age of your bike, 5 yrs, I'm sure they gave you the cost of a "major" service that included oil, filter, brake fluid and coolant......If you are selling service in just those 2 categories, you would have probably paid for a second oil and filter change. Not because its needed, it's just part of the package.

150 to change coolant, and brake fluid? I could do it, for that price, as long as you did not Insist on oem kawasaki coolant. It would be 150 using the Prestone coolant I bought at wal mart. Maybe the oem Honda car coolant, but not the real Kawasaki stuff. That's no issue, the wal mart stuff if is good, too, but that's reality.

Brake fluid is a nothing. The dot 4 stuff is cheap, no matter what. Time for that flush is not very long if you have an air powered bleeder. Never timed myself with the air bleeder, but figure 30 minutes, maybe?

If you brought me an unlimited amount of Ninja 1000 bikes and went along with my bulk coolant rules, and let me use auto zone dot4 fluid, I could do it for 150, cash. If i had to pay taxes on the 150, then no.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just did it on my '18 myself. It's basically a glorified oil change. The rest of the checks are stuff I do regularly anyway.
He said it's basically checking it over to make sure nothing was missed during set up and to make sure everything is still tight in addition to the oil/filtrr change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would have changed the brake fluid too. 5 years, usage or not usage is a long time for brake fluid. I do mine every two.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just did it on my '18 myself. It's basically a glorified oil change. The rest of the checks are stuff I do regularly anyway.
The dealer I bought my '14 Ninja from threw it in for free. Said it was mainly just a double-check on the manufacturer + the oil change. They almost never catch anything but it was worth not having an angry customer a few miles down the road.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
The only thing mine needed was for the rear brake light. That amazing, high quality switch we have was not adjusted correctly.

That is worth checking. You dont even need tools to adjust it. Make sure it comes on just as you touch the rear brake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts