Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

3 year old, 1100 miles, saddlebags

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  CBR & Ninja 
#1 · (Edited)
$10,000; a deal for real: Loving it. Very refined.
Ordered a 6" taller screen. I want to soften the seat a bit.
Is there any way to move the handlebars forward more? Being upright is good for passengers, but I'd rather be leaning forward a bit.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: kenors and MicMac
#2 ·
Very nice. Looks like you got a great deal !!

#3 ·
Move the handlebars? Lol. I know. What kind of an animal designs unadjustable handlebars?

You can adjust them, sort-of, in a half assed manner. Look at how rhe bar clamps to the fork tops. You can remove the small safety screw, adjust, and clamp back down. Leave the safety screw out.

You cant do much or the bar hits the tank, or fairing. It's mostly a nothing, but it is possible.

#4 ·
'What kind of animal designs' a seat for a sport-tourer so that when you scoot back, it tilts your pelvis forward to crunch your junk?

Reactions: rcannon409
#5 · (Edited)
The 6" taller VStream is a dramatic improvement for the highway. High speed stability has been effected negatively by inducing wobbliness.
I've just started to adjust the suspension. I asked the dealer to return the suspension to factory specs (used bike), but the rear is too hard even with the preload fully decreased and I had to add a few turns to stiffen the front.
After adjusting the suspension, I'll see how it does at speed.
Where it felt solid at 120-145, now it starts feeling wobbly at 105 with windshield in middle position. Tilting it back will help.

#7 ·
2 month update. I bought the Ninja instead of renting a car when working out of town and we're now home with 6800 miles.
(After only driving the Ninja and upon arriving home, I thought my car had lost power until I drove my wife's too, which similarly had become slow!)
mods:
1. decat y-pipe (big improvement and not much louder, look forward to reflash this winter)
2. taller VStream windscreen is great on the highway, but anything above 105 becomes unstable.
I'm taking that off now and will be looking into steering dampers.
The sunlight caused multiple deformities until I realized that it wasn't necessarily the light focusing through the windshield that was the culprit, but also the reflection!
3. Michelin Road 5's O.M.G. these made a huge improvement in turn-in & handling!!
4. USB port for phone. Kawi wants $85, but my Chinese $15 unit works well.
5. Rokform phone case & clamp.
6. Ram Mount's stem mount doesn't hold on the Ninja because the hole is not round and more important, gets wider about a quarter inch down. I used it successfully after picking up the Ninja 2 hours away and fortunately it held. Sent it back and got the mount for the clutch or brake clamp. Had to change the Rokform clamp, too.
7. gearing up one in front, down one in rear. Wish I could just change 6th gear. May return the stock rear sprocket now that I'm not taking long trips.
8. Shift inverter for Ninja 300: still trying to get it to fit

btw, flashing these supabright LED highbeams rapidly seems to make slopokefolks think I'm the popo!

Attachments

#8 ·
2. taller VStream windscreen is great on the highway, but anything above 105 becomes unstable.
I'm taking that off now and will be looking into steering dampers.
The sunlight caused multiple deformities until I realized that it wasn't necessarily the light focusing through the windshield that was the culprit, but also the reflection!
3. Michelin Road 5's O.M.G. these made a huge improvement in turn-in & handling!!
I did the same thing to my '14 Ninja with the Vstream tour. VStreams should come with a warning to park facing the sun. Took me a while to figure it out too.

I liked Pilot Roads as well but found Roadsmart 3s feel even better to me!

Nice review, glad you're enjoying the ride.

Reactions: CBR & Ninja
#9 ·
@kenors: thanks for listing Moto Werk in your signature. I just ordered the foot peg lowering brackets!

#10 · (Edited)
I bought the PUIG screen and it came with warning stickers telling you to face the bike into the sun at all times as the REFLECTION can cause the beam to focus. :) I have also heard the clear screens do it too :(

Reactions: CBR & Ninja
#11 ·
Thanks for confirming what another said that it is only the reflection. If I figured this out sooner, I'd only have one melted spot not two.
I recently posted on Yelp for the first time trying to help a new business. I need to use them to compliment and bash Vstream for their wonderful screen and their lack of warning!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.