Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone got some suggestion regarding the panniers and the top case.

I am planning to go for a few long trips over the summer together with my wife and I'm not sure about what to pick.

I've seen the Kawasaki ones are very easy to install and do not require big changes on the bike. The only bit would be to add a top case rack, so the look of it would still be pretty pleasant. However the reviews on those are not great in terms of capacity and everyday use in general. Also, the price is 3 times higher than the Givi ones for basically the same kind of product.

I was looking also at the Givi ones which look very nice too, but the fact that I have to mount those iron bars to support the panniers is a bit of a turn down. Also with less than the cost of the Kawasaki panniers I can get a full Givi set (panniers + top case + mounting kits).

Have you got any other suggestions? Or do you think I should go with either one of those above?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
So congrats on the bike and plans of some big miles. When it comes to the panniers I love the stock kawi style so seamleas when off. Also size wise they are so similar the gain, if any of the givi arent worth it. The kawis are also very RE- sellable. And add value to the bike. Think end game. If two bikes were for sale I would choos the bike with factory accessories. Seamless one key design the factory panniers look great im not a fan of the bags needing extra bar supports. why didnt they just alter a little and make them work I dont know.. For you it may be just function. And thats more than ok. Just myself I am into the bike, its a toy for us all and with toys why cut corners? its for enjoyment. If you like the factory set up go with it bc long term you will be glad you made that choice. Just offering my own opinion others may disagree hope this gave you some insight into a different perspective.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's my understanding, from reading several resources, that the Kawasaki OEM bags were designed and fulfilled by Givi.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Funny you should ask. Take a look at:

Virtually everything here applies to your 2021.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get the Givi ones, with the racks. The V37 cases are a lot bigger than anything you can get from the factory, and it's easy to add a huge top case as well. The on and off function is also great.

I leave my side cases on full time, and add the top case for trips or when I need more storage (grocery run).

The OEM bags are great, and they are made by Givi. But they use the special mounting hardware for these bikes. The advantage of using the normal Givi bags with their bars is that it's easy to transfer them over if you ever get a new bike (you just buy the new rack, and move the bags over). Or if you end up with two bikes like me, it's easy to move them back and forth (with all your riding stuff in them).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get the Givi ones, with the racks. The V37 cases are a lot bigger than anything you can get from the factory, and it's easy to add a huge top case as well. The on and off function is also great.

I leave my side cases on full time, and add the top case for trips or when I need more storage (grocery run).

The OEM bags are great, and they are made by Givi. But they use the special mounting hardware for these bikes. The advantage of using the normal Givi bags with their bars is that it's easy to transfer them over if you ever get a new bike (you just buy the new rack, and move the bags over). Or if you end up with two bikes like me, it's easy to move them back and forth (with all your riding stuff in them).

View attachment 31785
What bar risers are those? I assume you had to extend the brake and clutch cables; what about wiring?

·
Registered
77 Posts
What bar risers are those? I assume you had to extend the brake and clutch cables; what about wiring?
Those are covertibars, I love them.
And yes I needed custom cables, but not sure if the shop had to do wires too. I threw money at them to have them do it.

Always get 2 of each cable though, so you have a backup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts