Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja1000sx
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year i purshased a brand new ninja1000sx. After a couple of ride the rear brake was making a squealing noise. Then later on the summer the front did the same. I tried to figure if I was due to humidity, temperature, of how hard I press them. It's mostly ramdom. Now I just make my first ride after a long winter stored in my garage.
DAMN IT SQUEAL MORE THAN A SCHOOLBUS BRAKE!

The bike is only 4800km always in the garage.

Did anyone here have the same problem?

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
340 Posts
Try putting some brake grease on the back side of the brake pads where the caliper piston contacts the pad. Should stop the squealing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Last year i purshased a brand new ninja1000sx. After a couple of ride the rear brake was making a squealing noise. Then later on the summer the front did the same. I tried to figure if I was due to humidity, temperature, of how hard I press them. It's mostly ramdom. Now I just make my first ride after a long winter stored in my garage.
DAMN IT SQUEAL MORE THAN A SCHOOLBUS BRAKE!

The bike is only 4800km always in the garage.

Did anyone here have the same problem?
How long does the squealing last once you begin riding? And is it only for a brief period of time after sitting overnight (or longer)? And are you in a very humid environment? All of these things can lead to very minor rust buildup on the brake calipers, which in turn leads to squealing when the brakes are applied. Assuming this is what's happening (which is a huge assumption since I haven't seen the bike or know anything about your area), it's normal and nothing to worry about.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I never really liked putting anything on the brake pads, although it done all the time.

The pads and calipers need to be kept clean. Adding brake grease makes things more messy than it would be, without grease.

Like Oramac said, this really isn't an issue. The stock brake pads are very hard and last a long time, but they can make some noise. Often times you can fix this, by accelerating and hitting the brakes harder than you normally do. Almost like a self cleaning.

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
2021 Ninja1000sx
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday was my first ride after the winter. I live nearby Montréal in Canada. The bike is always stored in a warm garage. The squealing problems started at the end of last summer. I didn't took care of looking after the trouble since we were at the end of the season and I was about to store it anyway.

It started again yesterday. In the first hit and damn it was very loud. Like I said the problem first occurred randomly, then it was more often, now it's awful. Both front and rear are doing it. I think that the brake pad material is done with more metal in it and that's why it's making this terrible noise.

I know that contact point are supposed to be lightly lubricated and brake services are supposed to be done often on car here because of our winter. But I don't ride my bike in the snow !

Like rccanon and omarac. It's really now a safety issue and I know it. I tried yo brake harder and it's still making it.

The bike is new and supposed to ride like a new one. I just wanted to know if other had the same trouble.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Pads are easy to change. If you don't like noise, you want to stay away from EBC. They are not very expensive.

How many miles do you have? Do you pressure wash the bike?

·
Registered
2021 Ninja1000sx
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, I know they are easy to change. I have really good mechanic skills. That's not a trouble to do it.

It's not a little noise... it's a really annoying one. The bike is only 4800km or 3000 miles.
That's why it's frustrating.

Yes, I pressure wash the bike, but from far. I'm not a washing maniac that's 1in far from the bike. I didn't put stuff on it like armor-all of wax. Nothing except rinsing it, using car made soap ( not dishwasher washing detergent ). Then rinsing it again and dry it.

I called the dealership to know if there's some TSB, Techtip or other stuff. They didn't called me back yet. If they can't help me, then I will work on it. First making a brake service. Then if it still make that annoying sound I will change the pads for something else....

·
Registered
922 Posts
I’ve never had brakes squeak in a motorcycle. I strongly suspect it’s because the bike sat. Machinery does not like to be ignored. As to the brakes pad design, if that was the problem we would all have it.

As to grease on the back of the pads, I do that. I agree that it can have its own issues. The best way to do it is use very little grease so that you can hardly see it. I may be wrong about this, but I think the real advantage to greasing them is just to let the pads move around a little when the brakes are new and just getting seated.

Reactions: Joe Corona

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I don't let soap get on to my brake rotors, or calipers. If they get cleaned, it's water only and they get fired after any sort of washing. I'll ride the bike around the neighborhood and hit the brakes enough times to get them hot.

Our pads are semi metallic. I always wondered if leftover water could rust the metallic particles, in the pads? I had a dirt bike pad that would squeak, like crazy, if I didn't dry the rotor after washing. If you pulled the pads, after a wash and no dry, they looked like they had come from a junkyard.

A leaf blower or air compressor did a good job.

You did say "brakes" as in front and rea

IF you don't mind taking the pads out, I would do that. Clean them off with 180 grit sand paper. Use the sandpaper on the rotors surface as well . 180, 220 grit like. The rotor surface is hard. The sandpaper barely cleans them. Grease the back, if you want, and try again. Clean the inside of the caliper with a family members toothbrush. A child sized brush is best. When the toothbrush turns up missing, just act like you have no idea what's going on. My granddaughter finally caught on to this when she recognized the slightly blackened brush, in my toolbox.

I don't know if you have worked on motorcycle calipers, before, but they are about a thousand times easier, and faster to service than any car caliper I've ran across.

Reactions: kenors

·
Registered
2021 Ninja1000sx
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm working on it today, dealership told me that brakes are worn out part that's not covered under warranty. This told, I will do the job myself. I just asked you guys if any had the same trouble. You guys are very helping people !!

Thanks a lot for your good advices!

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Did you see the pads, yourself?

I ask because the brand new pads, in the package , only have about 4mm worth of brake pad material on them. The backing plate makes up the other 5mm, or so, on thickness. If you are down to 3mm of pad, that's fine. They might be worn, but they are far from worn out.

If you look at a used brake pad, they always look worn out. You have to measure them to be sure.

I throw mine away at 2mm to protect the rotor. Pads are cheap in comparison and the rotor will last a long time if you do this.

You guys know how I love to disagree with JJs....I mean, I live for that specific purpose. He's a good friend, but I don't know if we could ever be in the same room, together. It just wouldn't be a good idea.We would argue over the light switch, or a floor drain. Neither of us would mean too. It would just happen.

However, in this very specific case, on this very specific day, time and place, I think there might be something to this light pad grease idea.

I service my calipers on rainy days. It's sort of like riding, for me. This happens way more often than necessary. But, the c14 uses 4 pads, per side. The caliper is always a filthy mess when I open it up.

I'm wondering if this brake pad grease might help protect the back side of the pad? I know the brake grease is strange stuff. Maybe a light coating on the pads back , and the slider pin would be a good thing, long term? I'll try it and report back.

Pay attention to the pin that holds the pads in. Over time, they can get grooves in them. This can lead to pads dragging, or odd wear patterns. The best idea here is to polish them when they are new. If you don't do that, be sure and do this when you change pads. Really polish them. I use one of those polishing wheels, on a bench grinder, but there are other options.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Since discussing brake pads, I've noticed I've thrown away a lot of brake pads with plenty of material on them because 1 of the 4 front pads is worn to the limit. On my bikes that have gone high mileage and needed the pads changed several times it always seems to be the same position pad. I sometimes go a bit below 2mm on that pad because of this but if I'm changing tires and notice "the" pad is at 2mm they get changed.

Probably good advice about washing the bike and brake pad care. I'm relatively certain that my "bouncy" braking is due to washing and letting it set or getting some soap on the rotors. I'm finally about to scotchpad the rotors and put in new Vesrah pads. I'll be more careful in the future and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Kenors, I've noticed the odd, uneven wear as well. I don't think we can fix this 100%. I have one pad, on my gsxr Brembos that wears twice as fast as the others. I don't think this idea is smart, but I rotate my pads every so often to try and balance this. It takes a few miles to let the pads re-seat, but otherwise, no big deal.

If anyone hasn't messed with calipers, these pistons close because of line pressure. The pistons barely move.

When you release pressure, the piston seals are what return the piston to it's resting position. Unless all 4 were identical, some move easier than others.

This caliper aligning video is good. Of course, this assumes the front tire isn't in a bind. I don't especially care for this guy, but these two videos are excellent. Caliper alignment and front wheel alignment, I guess?

The front, right side is the easiest one to screw up and cause binding.

A person can do both of these steps without removing anything. All you need is a 6mm hex wrench to loosen the right front axle clamp and a 14mm wrench to loosen the calipers. On my bike, it helped...ish, but was far from a fix.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Did you see the pads, yourself?

I ask because the brand new pads, in the package , only have about 4mm worth of brake pad material on them. The backing plate makes up the other 5mm, or so, on thickness. If you are down to 3mm of pad, that's fine. They might be worn, but they are far from worn out.

If you look at a used brake pad, they always look worn out. You have to measure them to be sure.

I throw mine away at 2mm to protect the rotor. Pads are cheap in comparison and the rotor will last a long time if you do this.

You guys know how I love to disagree with JJs....I mean, I live for that specific purpose. He's a good friend, but I don't know if we could ever be in the same room, together. It just wouldn't be a good idea.We would argue over the light switch, or a floor drain. Neither of us would mean too. It would just happen.

However, in this very specific case, on this very specific day, time and place, I think there might be something to this light pad grease idea.

I service my calipers on rainy days. It's sort of like riding, for me. This happens way more often than necessary. But, the c14 uses 4 pads, per side. The caliper is always a filthy mess when I open it up.

I'm wondering if this brake pad grease might help protect the back side of the pad? I know the brake grease is strange stuff. Maybe a light coating on the pads back , and the slider pin would be a good thing, long term? I'll try it and report back.

Pay attention to the pin that holds the pads in. Over time, they can get grooves in them. This can lead to pads dragging, or odd wear patterns. The best idea here is to polish them when they are new. If you don't do that, be sure and do this when you change pads. Really polish them. I use one of those polishing wheels, on a bench grinder, but there are other options.
I love it! I was actually about to agree with you on something.

As RC said, after washing the bike I blow as much water off the bike as I can with a leaf blower. Then I dry what I can see with a towel. Then I ride the bike right away. If not the rotor will almost always have a slightly rusty area right at the spot where the brake pad is when the bike is stopped and not moved until your next ride.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja1000sx
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wood Material property Composite material Gas Bumper
Fluid Font Electric blue Liquid Food

Problem solved!

I brought my bike to the shop where I work. Cleaned the rotors with soap. Then removed the pads. Cleaned then with brake cleaner. Sanded then lightly. Greased every contact point and sliding pin, and the back of the pad very lightly with brake lube. Now it's quiet!
They didn't grease anything from the factory.

I posted this thread to know if it's usual that the brakes need a service this soon.

Again, Thanks to everybody that give their hints about it!

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I fully support any shop where the toolbox costs more than the motorcycle. Based on seeing the corner of the box, I'm guessing the box and contents are 30k and I'll bet I'm being conservative. People often times don't consider that when pricing out a service charge .

I used to recommend DP brand brake pads. They work really well. Almost as good as Vesrah. However, they make a noise that sounds like the old days when we had AM radios. Remember when you were on the edge of the broadcast range? They make this noise, constantly, and it drives me nuts. Loud enough to mess with your brain

Jjs, I'm not sure how I feel about your agreeing with me. It doesn't feel right....lol

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
451 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts