Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
My contriibtion was showing you the only place who might have your plug. The rest was hoping to correct poor thinking.

You are capable of making an electrical plug and covering it in acf 50...i get it....But joining two wires together, or installing a bullet connector is out of your league? That's a task best left to the gods of wiring. Spending 10k-12k on a motorcycle is no problem, but having to spend the cost of two meals, for an accessory you really want, is over the line?

I thank you for your contribution. You have shown why buying used motorcycles is such a scary proposition since it's impossible to know just where the previous owner drew the line between frugal and thinking error.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a set of recaps when it's time to replace your tires. I hear they want upwards of 200, each, for these.

One of the challenges of used vehicles and equipment is identifying and eliminating DSPO's junk.

·
Registered
756 Posts
One of the challenges of used vehicles and equipment is identifying and eliminating DSPO's junk.
One man's junk is another man's well thought out and executed functional addition to the vehicle. The only difference might be documentation. Every bike I've owned has been modded with a minimum of heated grips, better horn and better lighting. Electrical mods get documented and usually pictured so 5 years from now I'LL know what I did and any subsequent owner will know as well. Since electronics is my field and I have the right equipment, I know the mods will be good long term. It also means I would have no problem whacking off the 2020's oddball connector and replacing it with something else more standard and available. Especially since there are 9 years of Ninjas out there with plain old bullet connectors. Here's how I documented my '18s add-ons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That is absolutely wonderful and I assume your DIY work is equally perfect, but few here are qualified to even understand the above never mind replicate.

So when you come to sell or part ex your modified bike, you are able to demonstrate to prospective buyer the quality of work and instil a level of confidence few can match (including many professional bike technicians no doubt).

And when I come to sell or move mine on, I can fully return the bike to stock and OEM parts fitted.

Others be like:

·
Registered
756 Posts
That is absolutely wonderful and I assume your DIY work is equally perfect, but few here are qualified to even understand the above never mind replicate.

So when you come to sell or part ex your modified bike, you are able to demonstrate to prospective buyer the quality of work and instil a level of confidence few can match (including many professional bike technicians no doubt).
Yeah, like it or not, someone buying my bike gets a tour of my mods. I farkle for myself, not to help sell the bike or increase it's value.
I try to be neat, use the right colored wires, have the proper tools (crimping tool, soldering iron, stripper, heat gun) and connectors (crimp-on or solder, Posi-Tap) and heatshrink tubing is my friend. I live and ride in the wet and keep my bikes an average of 6-8 years. That also means silicone grease on some of the bike's exposed connectors as well. An ounce of prevention...

Reactions: RB12BOB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, like it or not, someone buying my bike gets a tour of my mods. I farkle for myself, not to help sell the bike or increase it's value.
I try to be neat, use the right colored wires, have the proper tools (crimping tool, soldering iron, stripper, heat gun) and connectors (crimp-on or solder, Posi-Tap) and heatshrink tubing is my friend. I live and ride in the wet and keep my bikes an average of 6-8 years. That also means silicone grease on some of the bike's exposed connectors as well. An ounce of prevention...
Sounds perfect.

The irony is that I am a capable DIY'er with reasonable electronics skills and always do the same as you for all my wiring (proper tools and wiring), but unlike you, I haven't kept a bike for longer than a year, hence my reluctance to 'tap' into wires or 'chop off' OEM connectors.

For example the last bikes (Tracer 900GT and Street Triple) I swapped the stock bulb indicators ('flashers' in the states I think) for LED's and fitted DRL's and in both cases it took hours to produce neat and professional looking work, yet just 10 minutes to remove all evidence and return the bikes completely to Original.

The Triumph work was even better because I built 2 easily swappable tail tidies (a summer and winter one).

The only difference with the above 2 examples was that I could buy generic connectors that allowed me to build my own swappable harnesses without intersecting the standard wiring.

In 6 months time, I suspect I will know whether the Ninja is a keeper and if it is and a suitable connector has been identified, I will replace or if I have any doubts on my own DIY connector I may just replace the OEM connector with an off the shelf one.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
You guys know how this will go. Sure, it starts with changing two bullet connectors, but you guys wont stop there.

Next it will be adding a plug, for your vest . From there, it's a normal progression where you'll be making bombs for the Taliban. Homeland and the BATF will be at your door. With that in mind, I can understand why someone might be reluctant to change the plug. Prison vs the 86.00 oem plug makes it sound cheap, at twice the price.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One man's junk is another man's well thought out and executed functional addition to the vehicle.
Here is one that could easily fit the DSPO category or pass as hack-fab janky-a$$ excellence depending on who owns the bike.

In this case I bought the wrecked KLR650 from a good buddy and after it sat since Mother's Day weekend 2018, had it running in a day and legal in a week. I wanted turns signals since hand signals were not getting other drivers attention unless I was waving my Glock.

Three turn signals are zip tied to the bike but one turn signal was gone, the connector jacked and the pins tiny, about the size of an LS ECM male connector but a snug fit when used as a female connector on the existing plug...note the non-electricians use of heat shrink and proper wire colors :D

21 - 28 of 28 Posts