Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, I have searched to no avail

Kawasaki has changed the ubiquitous 3.9mm bullet connectors for the 12V Socket on the new 2020 to a 'possibly proprietary' 2 pin connector.

Like many, I think £90 is way too much for a generic 12V Socket (excludes fitting too), so with the help of a couple of awesome Youtube videos and James on a FB Group, bought a USB style socket, 3.9mm bullets and made 2 sets of cables (long and short just in case) (some of my best wiring work too).

Removed the side panel last night and spent 20 minutes looking for 2 exposed bullet connectors .... only to find a 2 pin connector. Once I was able to get a good look at the connector, I removed the protective cover (see images) and could see the wire colours matched those of previous years. My heart sank somewhat.

Then I thought the connector was the same as the Yamaha Tracer spare lighting one (something I had in my stock) and though similar, it doesn't match sadly.

Now I am averse to cutting and splicing cables on any bike never mind a brand new shiny one.

Don't suppose anyone here might know what connector it might be?

My bike goes in for its 600mile service on Tuesday where they will also be fitting the Touring pack and so will wait till then to do the job, but.....

... I'm probably going to knock up a makeshift connector using plenty of heatshrink etc....

As stated the attached files are of the protective cover, so the actual connector required wont be too dissimilar. (I might try and use this as a makeshift one, but not optimistic)

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the exact same question. I have a stock of bullet connectors and shrink tube and plan to just cut the factory connectors off and convert to bullet connectors, but like you I would prefer to find a factory connector.

I did a search last week but did not come up with anything. I also thought about trying to convert the “cap”, but it requires finding pins to insert into it. That would be hit or miss trying to find them.

If you come up with something please let us know. I’m waiting for my factory heated grips to show up (back ordered now) so that I can do all my electrical projects at once.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, my immediate solution is taking 2 flat connectors and using some hardening putty, creating my own connector.. I will then heatshrink to protect it and spray with ACF50. If the appropriate connector is found, I can replace (if required).
I will post images if possible

·
Registered
756 Posts
I spliced on a standard SAE connector on my 2018. Quite weatherproof. You can buy pigtails and splice them in quite easily. They come in a variety of lengths and are available at most autoparts and hardware stores. Pretty easy to make a quality splice wire to wire, especially if you have some heatshrink tubing and the connectors are weatherproof. They handle the currents needed and are virtually "bulletproof", no pun intended.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I would feel better with a real plug vs something I had to make. Even if it did require cutting the stock harness. If you do a good job of attaching the universal plug, what does it matter? Or bullet connectors like you have on every ninja 1000, prior to 2020.

If acf 50 is the plan, and not the fix, that's a real problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would feel better with a real plug vs something I had to make. Even if it did require cutting the stock harness. If you do a good job of attaching the universal plug, what does it matter? Or bullet connectors like you have on every ninja 1000, prior to 2020.

If acf 50 is the plan, and not the fix, that's a real problem.
Luckily for me, I trust my DIY skills more than I trust any bike that has had it's electrics tapped into. My connector will be at least as secure and safe as the previous models 2 bullet connectors..

However, I agree I would be happier with a proper connector and the moment one is identified, I will replace.

As for ACF50, the whole of that area is somewhat exposed to the elements so applying this whilst the fairing is off would be standard for me anyway.

Thanks for your positive contribution, it really helped.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
My contriibtion was showing you the only place who might have your plug. The rest was hoping to correct poor thinking.

You are capable of making an electrical plug and covering it in acf 50...i get it....But joining two wires together, or installing a bullet connector is out of your league? That's a task best left to the gods of wiring. Spending 10k-12k on a motorcycle is no problem, but having to spend the cost of two meals, for an accessory you really want, is over the line?

I thank you for your contribution. You have shown why buying used motorcycles is such a scary proposition since it's impossible to know just where the previous owner drew the line between frugal and thinking error.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a set of recaps when it's time to replace your tires. I hear they want upwards of 200, each, for these.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My contriibtion was showing you the only place who might have your plug. The rest was hoping to correct poor thinking.

You are capable of making an electrical plug and covering it in acf 50...i get it....But joining two wires together, or installing a bullet connector is out of your league? That's a task best left to the gods of wiring. Spending 10k-12k on a motorcycle is no problem, but having to spend the cost of two meals, for an accessory you really want, is over the line?

I thank you for your contribution. You have shown why buying used motorcycles is such a scary proposition since it's impossible to know just where the previous owner drew the line between frugal and thinking error.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a set of recaps when it's time to replace your tires. I hear they want upwards of 200, each, for these.
With regard to your contribution, thank you, but it is impossible based on the information provide to guarantee purchase of the correct item first time. As stated, I already have a plug that from a casual glance looks the same and on the original ebay link looks identical as well as stating 'most Japanese 2 pin plugs', yet it doesn't fit.

Again you miss the point, so I will try and explain using simple words.

Yes I am quite capable of producing a plug that will work and be as safe as any standard bullet connectors and I would venture better than most of the splicing options.

Certainly the easiest option is to snip off the OEM connector and replace with bullets or a male/female connector set in my possession and it's probably even easier to use wire splicers. But I do not like either option as there is no 'reset' ability.

Should someone identify the right plug or should I sell the bike, then I can swap out my own connector and the bike will be as original. The same cannot be said for splicing cables or worse cutting off the OEM connector!

Again thanks for taking the time to share your sweeping assumptions based on your own abilities...

·
Registered
478 Posts
OK, my immediate solution is taking 2 flat connectors and using some hardening putty, creating my own connector.. I will then heatshrink to protect it and spray with ACF50. If the appropriate connector is found, I can replace (if required).
I will post images if possible
That sounds fine to me, as long as you secure the wiring so it doesn't pull out of the socket easily, an you shield the contacts from the elements. Sounds like that is what the ACF50/heatshrink is meant to be.

If it were me, I probably would've spliced into the wiring just behind the OEM connector and installed my own connector. Either that, or if I don't think I'll ever use the OEM connector in my tenure with the bike, I'd just cut off the connector with a 2-3" pigtail on it, then store it away, in case I need to reconnect it back on when I sell the bike. I almost always solder and cover with adhesive-lined heatshrink, which makes the joint stronger than the original wire.

BTW, equally important, if not much more so, is to replace the OEM fuse with one that is more appropriate for the accessory you have installed. Not sure about the 2020, but on my 2018, the front accessories circuit has a 7.5A fuse on it. When I installed my USB outlet, which is rated for 24w total IIRC, I replaced the fuse with a 3A one, again IIRC. It's been a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds fine to me, as long as you secure the wiring so it doesn't pull out of the socket easily, an you shield the contacts from the elements. Sounds like that is what the ACF50/heatshrink is meant to be.

If it were me, I probably would've spliced into the wiring just behind the OEM connector and installed my own connector. Either that, or if I don't think I'll ever use the OEM connector in my tenure with the bike, I'd just cut off the connector with a 2-3" pigtail on it, then store it away, in case I need to reconnect it back on when I sell the bike. I almost always solder and cover with adhesive-lined heatshrink, which makes the joint stronger than the original wire.

BTW, equally important, if not much more so, is to replace the OEM fuse with one that is more appropriate for the accessory you have installed. Not sure about the 2020, but on my 2018, the front accessories circuit has a 7.5A fuse on it. When I installed my USB outlet, which is rated for 24w total IIRC, I replaced the fuse with a 3A one, again IIRC. It's been a while.
Now that's what I came here for. But I still cannot bring myself to splice cables on a brand new bike ;-).

Thank you and good advice, I had thought about using the wire (and internal fuse) that came with the USB plug but yours is a better solution.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Understand wanting to keep the bike 100% "reversible". What you have done sounds fine. I mentioned it just for options.

An added inline fuse is good, as long as it is routed in such as way, so as to be easily reachable for fuse replacement, if necessary. That's the main reason I just stayed with the OEM fuse, which is located in the same OEM fuse cluster.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
If you needed Volfy to pat you on the back, for a brilliant idea, you are screwed seven ways from Sunday.

Why would you run an extra fuse on a connector thats already fused? Seriously, the correct oem part is 86.00 on amazon if you are afraid of adding bullet connectors.

No reset available? Dont do work with that mindset. Do good work and you wont need to do it again.. Who would ever decide to move from bullet connectors back to an 86.00 plug with a dedicated connector?

Maybe the double fuse idea is good? That way, when your awesome plug burns up, maybe it wont fry this magical connector you are treating like Jesus installed it. When that burns up, you will be replacing a high dollar wiring harness to get back to where you are now

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you needed Volfy to pat you on the back, for a brilliant idea, you are screwed seven ways from Sunday.

Why would you run an extra fuse on a connector thats already fused? Seriously, the correct oem part is 86.00 on amazon if you are afraid of adding bullet connectors.

No reset available? Dont do work with that mindset. Do good work and you wont need to do it again.. Who would ever decide to move from bullet connectors back to an 86.00 plug with a dedicated connector?
FFS, is this just because I didn't show appreciation for a generic list of connectors you provided that is of little use to me here in the UK, no wonder you lot ended up with the village idiot in charge.
If you don't like my posts or my approach just move on, go ride your bike or something, but please do the rest of us a favour and at least promote ideas.
I would like to agree with your approach but then we'd both be wrong.

·
Registered
478 Posts
@RB12BOB There are a few that have been here for so long that they don't appreciate anybody that don't pay homage to their self-perceived neghborhood kingpin status. Getting mixed up with them are just a royal waste of time. Best just ignore.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Its not that, at all. As a forum, we enjoy new people, but not the dim-witted, or those looking for positive affirmation for bad ideas. That link I gave you. Thise people do the electrical plugs as a profession. Are you self centered enough that you believe you are the first to have the issue, or maybe, just maybe, they have ran across this before? Or, they might see a way to make money if they can solve this problem?

Did you really need perfect strangers to tell you this plug idea was good, or bad? You would be smart to look at that thought before you look at me. It runs much deeper than the plug. Volfy has shown, time and time again, that he couldn't find his *** with both hands....but he did agree with you. That makes it right?

Facebook is an awesome place for dangerous/cheepskate/bad ideas. The bike specific forums here are for people who wont lie to you, or mislead you into doing foolish things. You should be thankful such places exist. Not butthurt when your bad ideas are pointed out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Roland, do you know if one of the connectors on the site you posted is what we need? I've looked at that site a few times and don't see anyway to tell.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Jim, I dont know, but the times I've dealt with them, they KNEW motorcycle connectors. This one might be too new, but if it's available, these guys will find it.

If that doesnt work, I have a line on some 3rd graders who are awesome with papier-mache. These kids are talented. For a few McDonalds happy meals (with fries, no apples) they can make the plug, and probably the entire dashboard.

I dont believe their parents will let them use ACF 50, yet, so we would have to furnish that ourselves. This has win-win written all over it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Morning all, I have searched to no avail

Kawasaki has changed the ubiquitous 3.9mm bullet connectors for the 12V Socket on the new 2020 to a 'possibly proprietary' 2 pin connector.

Like many, I think £90 is way too much for a generic 12V Socket (excludes fitting too), so with the help of a couple of awesome Youtube videos and James on a FB Group, bought a USB style socket, 3.9mm bullets and made 2 sets of cables (long and short just in case) (some of my best wiring work too).

Removed the side panel last night and spent 20 minutes looking for 2 exposed bullet connectors .... only to find a 2 pin connector. Once I was able to get a good look at the connector, I removed the protective cover (see images) and could see the wire colours matched those of previous years. My heart sank somewhat.

Then I thought the connector was the same as the Yamaha Tracer spare lighting one (something I had in my stock) and though similar, it doesn't match sadly.

Now I am averse to cutting and splicing cables on any bike never mind a brand new shiny one.

Don't suppose anyone here might know what connector it might be?

My bike goes in for its 600mile service on Tuesday where they will also be fitting the Touring pack and so will wait till then to do the job, but.....

... I'm probably going to knock up a makeshift connector using plenty of heatshrink etc....

As stated the attached files are of the protective cover, so the actual connector required wont be too dissimilar. (I might try and use this as a makeshift one, but not optimistic)
Has any one found where the switched live connector is behind the fairing

·
Registered
188 Posts
Has any one found where the switched live connector is behind the fairing
I don’t believe there is one. I know where the two connectors are behind the fairing, one for the heated grips and one for the USB outlet. I cannot say this for sure, but I think they are both switched.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts