Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

2020 tuning

17K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Oramac 
#1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone has managed to get a tune on the 2020 model ninja yet if so how cheers

#2 ·
Just take it to a tuner, they can put a power commander on it and tune it for you.

Mine 2019 gained 28 HP with tune and full Akrapovic

#6 ·
One thing I don't like on my 2020 is that the bike does not have that instant hit of acceleration when you whack the throttle open hard. Seems to be typical of throttle by wire as my CBR is the same way. The computer tells the butterfly valves to open smoothly regardless of what your hand is telling the throttle. It's obviously a factor of traction/wheelie control also.

#5 ·
Look at the exhaust system on any 2020 bike. The 2020 yamaha r1 has 3 cyateletic converters. Would Yamaha have chosen to do that if they didnt have to? The system, on the ninja might not weigh 35 lbs , anymore, but it's probably 30.

From the reports, Kawasaki did a decent job of tuning the bike, and staying within the emissions rules. But, given the choice, they would have loved to set this bike up without regards for sound and emissions. That's what you get to do with tuning. Things like fuel cut will always be better off if they are not there.

#7 ·
With ride by wire, and a good reflash program, you could have control over how the engine responds, and engine braking.

It's hard to give specifics until a person could get into the ecu and look around. JJs has the 2018 cbr 1000. The american ecu , for that bike, limits the high rpm power. It's not like the bike is slow, but the European ecu makes about 20 more hp because it revs higher and isnt as restricted. I dont believe the 2020 ninja is restricted that badly, but there are areas a person could improve upon.

Reactions: jjscsix
#34 ·
The american ecu , for that bike, limits the high rpm power. It's not like the bike is slow, but the European ecu makes about 20 more hp because it revs higher and isnt as restricted.
Check out this article on Revzilla for the new ZX10R. The paragraph right above the pic with 175 on the speedo lays it out. Kawa basically detunes the bikes because of our dumbass noise regs.

Interestingly, he said that the new MT09, R1 and a few others are going the same route and will be untunable.
As someone aspiring to be in cybersecurity, and knowing more than a few hackers, nothing is un-hackable. Guaranteed there's a way in to the ECU. It just probably will take a lot of time, money, and effort to find. Most likely, to the point that it's not cost effective and nobody is willing to put in the effort. Which, at the end of the day, is the goal of security.

Reactions: fireman1028
#9 ·
Back when all we had were Power Commanders, they were awesome because thats all we had.

Once the reflash business started, it became obvious that the power commanders were great, but they were only able to fix about 20% of what was wrong. Figure 40% if you added their timing module.....maybe less.

The power commanders are all the same except for the connectors to hook it to a specific bike. However, their limited abilities means they will never compare to even a basic reflash. Dyno Jet/ Power Commader started catering to Harleys.

On a 2019, you can buy the Woolich flash cables for 400-500 , or have someone else flash the bike for 350ish. Its a better value and a more complete solution than the power commander ever was. Thats why dynojet doesnt sell a pre built pcv for the later bikes.

#14 ·
Reactions: RobF and Murphyau
#16 ·
Someday someone will have one, so who knows? Maybe today is the day? Still, this is constant battle with our bikes. At one time GB racing did not make covers for our bikes. That didnt stop an american company for advertising these covers that did not exsist. I know of 3 of our members, and myself, who had to return "ni ja 1000" case covers as they were really for a zx10.

That was understandable, but their mistake was on their site for seven years. That was confusing.

#30 · (Edited)
You dont need to remove/move the radiator. The access isnt great, but once you remove the nuts, on the header to cylinder head portion, it will slide right off.

I used a 1/4" drive set with a wobbly. The top nuts are not easy to get to, but it beats removing the radiator.

You'll be surprised at how much room you really have once the plastic is off.

Reactions: JN1000SX
#31 · (Edited)
Taking my ninja 1000sx 2020 to jnc33 dyno tomorrow. Hes gonna have a look at my ecu to look at the numbers to see if he can tune it.
Will let you know how I get on 👍
Update.
Took ninja and he couldn't do it as its a new type ecu and Woolwich haven't done the software yet. So gotta wait.
Not sure how long 🙄

#32 ·
I just spoke with Ivan at Ivan's Performance and he said that we are SOL with the 2020 and up bikes. The ECUs are locked and no one has software that will respond with it. He isn't sure if there will ever be the ability to get into the ECU.

Interestingly, he said that the new MT09, R1 and a few others are going the same route and will be untunable.

#33 ·
I am looking at the full CS Racing exhaust because I like the low profile and looks of it. Not for power or weight because this bike is awesome the way it is. My son has this full system on his Suzuki and it looks and sounds nice. The web site says no tune necessary. This perplexes me so I called them and asked how that is possible. He told me that the ECU will adjust and that no tune will add decel pop with any exhaust. This is not necessarily a problem because I like a little bit of pop, just not a lot of it. He did tell me to look at the power curve of any exhaust (if they have it mapped) because without a flash you will most likely lose a little low end power and your HP gains will all be up top. I am still leaning toward going this route, but it did cause me to pause and think about it.

Note - If on the CS website, choose the Z1000, go to 2020, then look at the picture all the way to the bottom. It has panniers on it and it is the European version of the N1KSX. I asked about this specifically and he said it will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.