Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought the new SX1000 with the touring package. Love the bike but I can hear what sounds like pinking which happens in virtually any gear. The dealer seems to think it’s something to do with the air box, not sure about that.. Anyone else found this or am I being paranoid.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It sounds like "pinking", or it sounds like pinging?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like "pinking", or it sounds like pinging?
I think the term in pinking but unsure. Sounds like bottom end rattle, I had the same issue years ago on a company car and they said it was the grade of fuel.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If the sound is there regardless of throttle position, then it is unlikely to be pinging. which occurs typically at high engine load conditions. If you're not twisting the throttle hand much and just cruising alone not under acceleration or climbing a steep hill, then the engine load is low. Your engine won't ping under those conditions, unless something is seriously wrong with it. For a brand new bike, I doubt it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the sound is there regardless of throttle position, then it is unlikely to be pinging. which occurs typically at high engine load conditions. If you're not twisting the throttle hand much and just cruising alone not under acceleration or climbing a steep hill, then the engine load is low. Your engine won't ping under those conditions, unless something is seriously wrong with it. For a brand new bike, I doubt it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It generally happens when you accelerate, when the throttle is twisted fairly quickly but not holding it open for long, the sound can be heard best when the bike is in 4th gear at 35 mph with a quick twist of the throttle. As I said before the dealer recons it is the air box, I now have this in writing so if there is something more sinister, then I should be covered by the warranty..

·
Registered
592 Posts
It generally happens when you accelerate, when the throttle is twisted fairly quickly but not holding it open for long, the sound can be heard best when the bike is in 4th gear at 35 mph with a quick twist of the throttle. As I said before the dealer recons it is the air box, I now have this in writing so if there is something more sinister, then I should be covered by the warranty..
That does sound like engine-load induced, but in those conditions unlikely to be high enough for pinging/knock to occur. Especially since over there in the UK, the weather must be getting rather cool this time of the year, so intake temp won't be high. If your current fuel is not the highest octane rating you can get at the pump (UK uses RON, I think), so you can try a tank of the highest grade. If it is pinging or light knock, the higher octane should help suppress it.

It could just be that with that quick twist of the throttle, you make the engine buzz a bit more, which then causes something around the engine to make noise. That would be my best guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That does sound like engine-load induced, but in those conditions unlikely to be high enough for pinging/knock to occur. Especially since over there in the UK, the weather must be getting rather cool this time of the year, so intake temp won't be high. If your current fuel is not the highest octane rating you can get at the pump (UK uses RON, I think), so you can try a tank of the highest grade. If it is pinging or light knock, the higher octane should help suppress it.

It could just be that with that quick twist of the throttle, you make the engine buzz a bit more, which then causes something around the engine to make noise. That would be my best guess

It could just be that with that quick twist of the throttle, you make the engine buzz a bit more, which then causes something around the engine to make noise. That would be my best guess.
Thanks for your help, and I will change the grade of the fuel to see if that makes any difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts