Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, has anyone out there had any issues with keeping your chain slack adjustment? I mean, I will adjust the slack and after a very short time the chain seems to have lost the tension. I always torque the two tension bolts to what the book says, 48ft/lbs. I have never exceeded that torque tension, wonder if a few more pounds of pressure would do the trick? I think the other system with the pinch bolts is more reliable. Your thoughts...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hello all, has anyone out there had any issues with keeping your chain slack adjustment? I mean, I will adjust the slack and after a very short time the chain seems to have lost the tension. I always torque the two tension bolts to what the book says, 48ft/lbs. I have never exceeded that torque tension, wonder if a few more pounds of pressure would do the trick? I think the other system with the pinch bolts is more reliable. Your thoughts...
Are you saying that the eccentric hub is turning to loosen the chain, or is the chain stretching? I’ve never had one move and I’ve done a combined 66,000 miles on two Ninja 1000s

If the eccentric is moving then you don’t have the bolt tight enough. But if you are torqueing it to spec I doubt if that is the issue. If the chain is stretching without the eccentric moving you are likely over tightening your chain.

·
Registered
569 Posts
What he said -

I found my chain needed adjusting frequently for around 5000kms then settled down as well to hardly touching it in the next 7000kms

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
Run this chain with plenty of slack. 1.5", or more. It won't hurt anything and your chain will last longer.

I had a block slip just after the first chain adjustment. I removed the rear tire so I could put grease on the axle. I wasn't careful enough with the grease. The drive side block had grease on it, and I didn't tighten it enough. I would make sure yours is clean.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thanks to all your replies. My chain is about a year old so it probably has not settled down yet. The vehicle says .8 to 1.2 inches, so I would usually put it at 1.0. I am going to leave like it is about 1.5 and see how long it lasts. Thanks again to all.

I am going to throw this out there, has anyone heard of any aftermarket swing arm out there with maybe a 2' stretch?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Do you’re really mean 2 Feet? I’m thinking (and hoping) it’s a typo and you mean 2 inches.

Im going to have to go look at mine. I thought it says more slack than that. I learned the hard way that 1.5 is best. I almost never have to adjust mine at that much. I just replaced my chain last week at 28,000 miles. And my CBR passed 20,000 today and is still in very good condition.

Well, no surprise, you are correct. That is way too tight in my opinion though. My CBR does not show a range, just 1.25.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
732 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my eccentric hub coming loose or stretching of the chain other than when new I adjusted it once, and agree with others loose is better than tight.

I am curious about why you are interested in an aftermarket swingarm?

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
The only extended arm I have seen is this one. No idea if it's still in production. When Kawasaki introduced the z1000/ninja 1000, back in 2010, they halfway tried to market it as a customizable, sport oriented machine and had people build custom bikes with the platform.

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
Don't worry about the years. The swingarm never changed enough to not fit a newer bike. They just stopped developing new products for the ninja and never fit a swingarm to a newer bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts