Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to know if adding a lighter exhaust fixes the issue. I'm under the impression that switching from dual exhaust to the single large exhaust is what is causing the issue. I'm looking at purchasing a new 2020 1000sx soon and this would not bother me if it's the exhaust that is causing it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would like to know if adding a lighter exhaust fixes the issue. I'm under the impression that switching from dual exhaust to the single large exhaust is what is causing the issue. I'm looking at purchasing a new 2020 1000sx soon and this would not bother me if it's the exhaust that is causing it.
jjscsix said this in the very first post on this thread.
As promised in the other thread, I took the can off and rode the bike about eight miles today on a road that the traffic moves about 60-65mph and there are stretches of road a couple miles long with no traffics lights.

Even though I have driven that road probably 1000 times, I don't very often any more and had forgotten how much crown it has. But I immediately knew the problem was greatly diminished. I found a few stretches where the crown was minimal, and I also rode both directions. At some points I did not feel any pull at all. And even when I did I could keep it straight with just a little body English. I could not do that at all with the pipe on.

It would be interesting to know how much the stock single muffler weighs. It is quite large. Having said that, it's not any more larger from this perspective than some of the literbikes currently available.

Here's a 2018 in comparison. The duals look small in comparison. And notice how they sit much closer to the center of mass on the bike. Plus they are tucked in tight against that swing arm.

Just look at the immense size of this 2020 GSXR1000 pipe! But the difference could be that on the liter super sports, the mufflers are lighter that the boat anchors on the N1k's. Until someone weighs that can we won't know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
jjscsix said this in the very first post on this thread.
As promised in the other thread, I took the can off and rode the bike about eight miles today on a road that the traffic moves about 60-65mph and there are stretches of road a couple miles long with no traffics lights.

Even though I have driven that road probably 1000 times, I don't very often any more and had forgotten how much crown it has. But I immediately knew the problem was greatly diminished. I found a few stretches where the crown was minimal, and I also rode both directions. At some points I did not feel any pull at all. And even when I did I could keep it straight with just a little body English. I could not do that at all with the pipe on.

It would be interesting to know how much the stock single muffler weighs. It is quite large. Having said that, it's not any more larger from this perspective than some of the literbikes currently available.

Just look at the immense size of this 2020 GSXR1000 pipe! But the difference could be that on the liter super sports, the mufflers are lighter that the boat anchors on the N1k's. Until someone weighs that can we won't know.
That answers my question then. I'm going to put one of these on mine about a week into owning it. Akrapovič

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update - I adjusted my rear axle so the Brake side was a 'notch' forward than the Chain side (opposite to when I picked her up). Thus the rear wheel should be pointing to the left by a small margin.
This would result in a counter steer going to the left. The result was a bike that on the short test ride, ran far truer. I didn't get much opportunity, but certainly more than acceptable.

I am going to spend the weekend doing some accurate wheel alignment checks for my own peace of mind and let you know what I find. I will be using the String method.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Ocl, great point on the exhaust, but look at something like the newest gsxr 1000. The can is a monster sized one, but its titanium. It looks much heavier than it really is. Most of the liter bikes have them set higher as there are no bag fit issues, too. If its wind resistance, like Cudabob said, that might be the difference?

·
Registered
333 Posts
You know....if it ain't broke don't fix it. Why go with a single gi-normous exhaust? Surely there was a reason for the twin exhaust...perhaps it was to make things more compact yet still accomplish the necessary noise emissions.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
202 Posts
You know....if it ain't broke don't fix it. Why go with a single gi-normous exhaust? Surely there was a reason for the twin exhaust...perhaps it was to make things more compact yet still accomplish the necessary noise emissions.
Combination of things . . . Euro 5 noise requirements, "new look" aesthetics & market appeal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
This is disappointing. I am so sold on to upgrading to the 2020. I guess I will wait for t
This is disappointing. I am so sold on to upgrading to the 2020. I guess I will wait for the 2021 model.
It's a great bike and if I never took my hands off the bars I would never know it does it. I have zero regrets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well see thats just it....Nobody knows yet and the fact that it is a single side exhaust doesn't mean its automatically the cause because there are a lot of other bikes that dont pull.
I have a BMW K1600 and that whole line of bikes pull to the left. Nobody really knows why and its been since about 2011.
:(

They probably went to a single side exhaust to shed the few pounds they added with all the electronics.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's a great bike and if I never took my hands off the bars I would never know it does it. I have zero regrets.
Well.. it just doesn't make sense that the bike was allowed to be released by the designers with a pull to the right. If the exhaust causes the pull and no others factors are present to cause this action then I would deduce that this is a defect. The factory would then have to pay for the fix. Anyone agree?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well.. it just doesn't make sense that the bike was allowed to be released by the designers with a pull to the right. If the exhaust causes the pull and no others factors are present to cause this action then I would deduce that this is a defect. The factory would then have to pay for the fix. Anyone agree?
They will not consider it a defect. A judge would look at you and say "tell me again why you think it's a problem when it only does it when you take both hands off".

Per evomind above, I had two 1600 BMWs and for over six years lived with the pull. Nobody got BMW to do anything and almost all of them did it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wonder if the front axle is not completely true on these early 2020's? This could possibly cause the front wheel alignment to be off center enough to make the bike pull to the left slowly. Maybe check that front axle trueness. Or replace it with a 2018-19 axle and see what happens.

BTW when you install the front wheel, there is a proper procedure and order in the tightening of the pinch bolts, loading the front axle/wheel before tightening, etc. So maybe first, remove front wheel and axle. Check for true. If all checks out, reinstall front wheel carefully according to the Service Manual. If it still pulls left, check rear axle. But only check each end one at a time.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Ocl, the axle idea. When they are bent, it's almost impossible to remove them.

You are thinking what? One end is threaded, but if the other end wasnt true, the fork wouldn't clamp it.

There was a dirt bike product that intentionally did this, in a way. The axle was undersized, but mounted into eccentrics. By rotating these eccentrics, you could change fork offset. By the way, thank you.....this will drive me nuts until I remember who made this. I had it for my 97 yz250. I remember. It was this. REKLUSE: AJUSTABLE OFFSET E-AXLE | Motocross Action Magazine

It was very possible to screw this up, but when you did, the handlebar wasnt squared up. The bike did handle strange. Maybe that does make sense, if it were off by just a small amount?

·
Registered
17 Posts
After a 600 mile 2 day trip, I can report that the pull to the right on my 2020 is so minimal it really isn't an issue. It might be solely due to road crown.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000sx
3 Posts
Hi All, created an account to be able to reply on this issue.

I got a brand new 2020 Ninja 1000 SX a couple of weeks ago, and noticed it pulling to the right as soon as I started playing with the cruise control. I didn't notice it on the demo bike I rode (which had about 400kms on it), but then i didn't try the cruise control on my test ride - so it could have been happening there as well.

As of today, I think I have put around 180KM on my bike. It had 1km on it when i bought it. The shop fit engine covers and frame sliders, but other than that it is completely stock. I do not have panniers or tailbags or anything of that sort. I do have Mustard Bikes tail tidy that just arrived, but I haven't fit that to the bike yet.

One of the first things I did after I rode the bike home was to adjust the brake and clutch levers down slightly, to fit the reach of my fingers better. And I hadn't been comfortable on the bike on the ride home or the first few days to actually use the cruise control.

So my initial assumption was i had rotated the levers too far, and the cables were binding / pulling slightly somewhere - so I backed out those adjustments. I felt like it made a non-trivial difference, but it was still pulling to the right when using cruise control and taking my hands off, and I didn't really have a "base" measurement to compare to.

I checked all the suspension settings (visually, using the marking), to make sure one fork wasn't set differently - they both seemed aligned to the markings.
I will be adjust them properly (as in adjusting all the way in/out and then coming back in/out to the default positions per the manual. This is mainly to confirm that the markings on both front forks are correct and indicate default settings)

I will definitely be asking the service guys when I take it in for its first service about this and see if they have had any other customers raise it.

Unfortunately due to being in Australia, and due to Covid, no one can give me any firm dates on when we might actually get aftermarket exhausts (and I think it is only Arrow and Akra that even have slip ons, maybe a few more if you get a full system - haven't looked at those yet, since I am not sure of the status of ECU tunes for a full system on the 2020s, but will ask around)
I wonder if just an aftermarket will be enough, if it is due to the weight / giant flat wing shape of the stock exhaust, or if a full system and losing all the weight under the bike will be needed. Hmmm.

One thing I will do is check all the cabling at the front and try and eliminate that completely, and try and find a nice, non cambered and straight stretch of road to do some tests on.

I am coming from a 2019 Ninja 400, with the stock solid metal rearsets, and a much skinnier tank with TechSpec tank grips on it. I've had that for nearly a year, and feel much more "locked in" when sitting on it.
It has been a bit awkward getting used to the the spongy, sprung rubberized rearsets, and much more expansive seat and tank - I still haven't got the muscle memory to make sure I am sitting exactly centered on the bike at times.

One of my friends suggested if i felt it drifting to stand up on the pegs slightly to make sure i was actually sitting balanced and centered, and just about every single time i tried this, I was unconsciously weighting up one peg more than the other, but due to the rubbery feel of the pegs giving zero feedback i couldn't tell when seated. He also recommended removing the weight under the pegs as well.

Now, I don't expect that to be the cause of the pulling to the right issue, but I definitely feel it could contribute. Especially if I am unconsiously trying to counteract the pulling, and haven't learnt how to lock in dead centre and balanced without thinking about it.
I am going to look at either changing the rubber pad or replacing the rearsets completely. And get some tank grip as well so I can line up just by feeling with my knees and thighs and not sliding around.

Will post in this thread with any updates.

As others have mentioned, everything else is fantastic on the bike, and the pulling is very slight and only noticeable when testing the cruise control hands free - which I wouldn't normally be doing, but much like a loose tooth, knowing something is slightly off on a brand new bike is seriously annoying!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Further update......

I have made a robust and accurate wheel alignment jig (might patent it, it's that good :) )

With my sons help (better eyes and easier to adjust the jig), I can confirm that my wheels are about as true and aligned as possible without some fancy laser setup.

But here's the problem, my axle markings are out of sync and as I suspected, the Brake side has to be set forward by about the thickness of 2 markings.

Here are images of the 2 sides as they are now and an image with both side by side:
The bike rides 'True' as you'd hope (but further test rides later)

This suggests to me that, one or some of the following:
Geometry is out
The markings are out
The tyres is out
Other?
What this may also mean is that when the wheels are correctly aligned the Exhaust Weight has minimal impact (as Twist of the Wrist states)

Now imagine that the bike I collected 2 weeks ago was the complete opposite of this, where the difference was completely reversed.

As stated the resulting wheels would not be tracking true and given the current markings (with perfectly aligned wheels), then the original setup would have resulted in considerable misalignment and the 'muffler/end can' would have amplified the issue further.

As I said to the dealer in an email, no amount of leaning to the left would stop the veering off to the right, merely slow it down, with the bike as set up for collection.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts