Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I remember loading my right saddlebag, on the 14, with a watermelon and a broken up 12 pack of coke. I felt the weight, but it was more of a leaning feeling more so than a pull. It's a heavier bike, but I dont recall any pullout sensation. I'll try it , again. Load the hell out of one side and see what happens.

Jjs, on the bmw, that wing should have helped more at higher speeds? Then again, at slower speeds maybe the pull wasnt as strong?

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
28 Posts
First post here. I'm jjscsix's riding buddy that he mentioned in his posts. When he told me that his bike was pulling to the right, I had only put about 300 miles on mine and hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary (love the bike, btw). We proceeded to trade bikes and when I put them on cruise control at about 60 mph and took my hands off of the bars, I did notice that they both started to very slowly pull to the right, but I could pretty much correct for it with a little body english. Unless this affects tire wear in any way, which is yet to be seen, I really think it's a non issue since I don't usually take my hands off the bars. It's not like you have to consciously and constantly correct for this during normal riding--it's really not noticeable at all IMHO and does not diminish the riding experience. It will be interesting to see how many of these bikes do this, but I'm convinced that it has to do with the slightly uneven side to side weight distribution due to the single honker exhaust.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I agree that it does not bother me. If I never took both hands off the bars I would not notice it. I actually noticed my upper triple tree being crooked which is what got me curious. The dealer straightened it, but it had no effect on the “pull”.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Welcome HouTex.... I did not take it like you guys were complaining. It sounded more like an observation. You guys each have a 1000sx? Its not just one bike, is it?

How far apart are they with regards to the Vin number?

I remember reading about the BMW s1000rr pulling to the right as well. It would take hours to go back and read all of it, but I do remember some saying the sensation went away with an aftermarket slip on. It was probably lighter, but if Cudabob's idea is correct, it was also shorter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome HouTex.... I did not take it like you guys were complaining. It sounded more like an observation. You guys each have a 1000sx? Its not just one bike, is it?

How far apart are they with regards to the Vin number?

I remember reading about the BMW s1000rr pulling to the right as well. It would take hours to go back and read all of it, but I do remember some saying the sensation went away with an aftermarket slip on. It was probably lighter, but if Cudabob's idea is correct, it was also shorter.
Thanks for the welcome wishes. Yep, we each have a 1000SX--got them about 2 weeks apart from the same dealer. Need to compare VIN's--this dealer brought in 5 at the same time, so they should be close. jjscsix and I have been riding together about 15 years and usually each have 3 bikes that we change out frequently.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did a test today that no one asked for but was an opportunity, so I took it. I loaded 13 pounds in the left bag, the right bag was empty. The bike run true and straight. The fastest I could in traffic was 50 mph.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No Not really, in my previous post, my 2020 doesn't pull right, so putting the weight in the left bag should have made it pull left, it did not.
In both of your tests did you set the cruise control and take both hands off the bars for 15-20 seconds to see if there was any very slow drift to the right? You would still think the bike was tracking completely straight unless you did this--I found the drift to be very slight and imperceptible while holding onto the bars.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have to take a little issue with how my friend HouTex described it. And I have ridden both his and mine. When taking my hands off at highway speeds with the cruise set, it starts pulling within a few seconds then gets progressively worse within no more than five seconds after taking your hands off the bars. Every time!

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is one reason I usually avoid these kind of discussions. Opinions vary and that is understandable. How much is very much? It could be very little to me, and actually a lot to others. The best is to have at least two get together and compare, and that is exactly what you guys are doing and still there is a bit of difference. What bothers others may not bother me!

One thing for sure, there are many variables as to way a bike may pull left or right, and it is difficult, I think, to compare in a forum. Different bike setup, different rider styles, different roads and a lot more. Makes it tough to compare apples-to-apples.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Two random guys buy two Ninja 1000 bikes. Bikes from the same dealer. Its likley the Vin numbers are close. Both bikes are 100% stock. I'm not sure how things can ever be more even. Both bikes ship with the wheels attached, from the factory. Jjs mentioned this way before he would have needed to adjust the chain or change the oil.

Even if there were production differences, that pretty much goes away when they trade bikes and have the same reaction with either machine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is one reason I usually avoid these kind of discussions. Opinions vary and that is understandable. How much is very much? It could be very little to me, and actually a lot to others. The best is to have at least two get together and compare, and that is exactly what you guys are doing and still there is a bit of difference. What bothers others may not bother me!

One thing for sure, there are many variables as to way a bike may pull left or right, and it is difficult, I think, to compare in a forum. Different bike setup, different rider styles, different roads and a lot more. Makes it tough to compare apples-to-apples.
This is very true. I'm just happy that it's not bothersome or noticeable while riding normally--jjscsix and I do agree on that. We also agree that both bikes do pull some to the right when you take your hands off the bars--I even rode on the wrong side of the road for a bit to make sure that the normal road drainage crowning was not skewing the results and it was the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I came on here to investigate options for the new proper connector for the 12v socket in the dash (I'd prepared my bullet ended cables too) only to see this thread.

I noticed the pull to the right immediately upon riding home with new bike.
I contacted dealer via email and then raised it on a facebook group. As these groups are all but useless (and I hadn't found this forum then), I checked rear wheel alignments and found them out by 1/7th of one of the segments.
I adjusted and probably went too much the other direction, but the right bias diminished considerably. It is still there for sure, but only just.
I also test rode the dealers demo bike and again a definite pull to the right (perhaps not as noticeable as mine).
I have clocked up 500+ miles in my first week and though I could live with this for the rest of my time with the bike I would rather have it right!.
As I stated in my FB post I checked for camber influence and it was still there (whether more or less I could not tell).

However, I've only tested my bike on 'the other side' a little while to retest the camber influence since changing the alignment and I do believe the bike then ran true(ish).

For what it's worth, I suspect a combination of single sided low down weight of the muffler, possible misalignment of rear end and UK camber all creating a perfect storm of tracking to the right issues.

We can either live with it, change the muffler for a light weight one, off set rear wheel to compensate or a combination of those.

One thing I pretty sure is that such a Tracking issue will ultimately lead to increased tyre wear.

Here's what I wrote last week on the FB Group:

2020 Bike Drifting (not in a good way)

Well it's the morning after the first 100 miles on this gorgeous girl, but all is not perfect.

She has a tendency to drift to the right, a rather noticeable one in fact. Put CC on, let the bars go and you suddenly find yourself trying to lean your body to stop it. Sit up right and off she goes trying to find hedgehogs on the other side of the road.

I've checked the following so far:
Road camber - positive/negative, both the same.
Tyre Pressure - all good.
Rear wheel alignment - spot on
The handle bars appear straight
Wheel balance - whilst possible, the bike ran smooth to 65mph all morning (still running in of course).
Rider - not sure it can be me but I will ask son to follow me later to ensure I am not sitting lopsided. However, I doubt it is as any movement I did had little effect yesterday (which is right of course).

Honestly, I'm not sure it's noticeable when riding with hands on the bars, but again, I will test more thoroughly today.
Obviously I will raise with dealer and get it sorted on the 600 mile service, but just wondered whether anyone else with 2020 had noticed this!
or
If you're going out at all, give it a go, find a nice straight safe road, stick CC on and let go ...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

I agree with you that forums can lead to differences of opinion, or just differences in the how pronounced the problem is. I have been a forum junkie for nearly 20 years. I follow quite a few car and motorcycles forums every day, usually multiple times a day. With time, you get to know the regulars and their degree of credibility, and you throw out the outliers, both low and high. And you throw out the out and out liars (sorry, couldn’t resist the pun).

One thing we can already tell for sure is that the 2020 does pull right. Getting one that does not will be the outlier. One thing we have not included in this discussion is the 2020s quicker steering. I think what we have is a minor difference in weight side to side that is magnified by the fact that the engineers gave up a little straight line stability for more “nimble“ handling. Not a bad thing in my mind because the bike is very nimble, yet still feels very stable even at very high speeds. Don’t ask me how I know ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with you that forums can lead to differences of opinion, or just differences in the how pronounced the problem is. I have been a forum junkie for nearly 20 years. I follow quite a few car and motorcycles forums every day, usually multiple times a day. With time, you get to know the regulars and their degree of credibility, and you throw out the outliers, both low and high. And you throw out the out and out liars (sorry, couldn’t resist the pun).

One thing we can already tell for sure is that the 2020 does pull right. Getting one that does not will be the outlier. One thing we have not included in this discussion is the 2020s quicker steering. I think what we have is a minor difference in weight side to side that is magnified by the fact that the engineers gave up a little straight line stability for more “nimble“ handling. Not a bad thing in my mind because the bike is very nimble, yet still feels very stable even at very high speeds. Don’t ask me how I know ;)
Ditto on those forum sentiments, hope I earn your respect.

I would add that initially I assumed the problem was NOT due to the weight of the muffler as supposedly (according Twist of the Wrist) and my own experience of counter leaning to the left had little or only a short term effect.

What it needs is someone with the right tools (if they exist) to see if the frame and component geometry is out. I tried with the String Alignment but tbh I doubt it's that 'true'.

As I suggested, I might adjust the rear axle a fraction further (opposite to the initial misalignment). I would rather the bike tried to track straight than for me to be constantly adjusting it on a long ride (even if it is subconsciously).

I have raised the point for the Service on Tuesday, but I am not optimistic as to getting addressed.

One thing would be interesting to see if countries where they ride on the wrong side of the road ;-) negates the natural right bias.Or those who say their 2020 bikes are 'true' do their axle marks match perfectly. (I used a protractor to visualise additional accuracy).

Interestingly, I did ask AmateurHour whether he observed the issue and replied negative. AmateurHour

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I wonder if the other model year bikes pull? Ive never ridden it "Hands-off" without a throttle lock, or cruise control, its hard to do that long enough to notice something. Ill find an o ring and check it this weekend. If it does, does the steering damper help hide the sensation? Im thinking it might?

Its easy to remove. Ill try it without the damper in place.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I can only attest that my 2011, 2014 and 2018 Ninjas did/do not pull to one side or the other. I sometimes lift my hands from the bars and stretch while riding. And I always do that after changing tires and do a coast down looking for headshake or wobbles. Pulling to the side would certainly catch my attention.
In fact, I use to worry about saddlebag imbalance and did a few tests loading one side. I only put in my normal stuff and emptied one side so the difference was maybe 10 pounds? The pull was there and easily detectable (hands off the bars) but also easily correctable with a bit of body english. I was a bit surprised that with hands on the bars I didn't even feel the weight difference. The human body apparently has a certain amount of autocorrect built right in.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts