Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dealer offered me 5K, 600 less than I paid drive-out on my N400 ABS I bought in November, in trade on a 2020 at MSRP price of 12.3K.

A second dealer came in higher on the bottom line deal for a 2020 priced at 11,199.

I am seriously thinking about going through with the first deal thinking that discounts on the 2020 at the end of they year may not make up the difference in trade value I am getting for the N400 and I would not be expecting over 4K selling it outright. In fact, there are tons of N300 and N400's on the market now dipping into the high 2K range.

I am not interested in an earlier 1000 ABS having no interested in tunes or changing tire sizes or the other benefits to those who own the earlier version.

What do ya'll think about offer?

·
Registered
135 Posts
A local dealer offered me 5K, 600 less than I paid drive-out on my N400 ABS I bought in November, in trade on a 2020 at MSRP price of 12.3K.

A second dealer came in higher on the bottom line deal for a 2020 priced at 11,199.

I am seriously thinking about going through with the first deal thinking that discounts on the 2020 at the end of they year may not make up the difference in trade value I am getting for the N400 and I would not be expecting over 4K selling it outright. In fact, there are tons of N300 and N400's on the market now dipping into the high 2K range.

I am not interested in an earlier 1000 ABS having no interested in tunes or changing tire sizes or the other benefits to those who own the earlier version.

What do ya'll think about offer?
Buy the bike now if you want it now. I don’t judge a deal by whether I could get a better deal later. To me the best deal is the one that gives you the most miles per dollar of enjoyment

·
Registered
884 Posts
Buy the bike now if you want it now. I don’t judge a deal by whether I could get a better deal later. To me the best deal is the one that gives you the most miles per dollar of enjoyment
I would take the trade in. It is probably tough time to sell a bike.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've spent my entire life in high tech electronics and it's even worse there. Everything digital was an outdated POS within 2-3 years and priced accordingly. A "deal" is a value statement for the buyer at the time.

I like the "most miles of smiles per dollar" measure. That's a great value measurement.
mi *:smile:/$

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smiles per miles...good point guys!

I have responded to the original offer with a "we are not quite there yet, I may sit for a few weeks and see how the market responds to CV." The salesman responded quickly via email and said he would talk to financing although I don't expect interest rate to be lowered. I will wait and see how bad he needs to make a sale here soon.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Im not sure how far id be willing to push on this one. Its a fair price on the Ninja, and the trade is better than what you could sell it for on you own. Theres not thousands left to negotiate in this deal. Is a 200-300 dollar difference worth losing a riding weekend over? How many 2020's does he have?

If this dealer says, "Never mind" do you have a good, second option?

When I sold bikes, we were way more willing to negotiate on bikes that we already had. However, if you needed us to order one, that was a different deal. It was even more on my side if there was a trade involved.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't push hard due the circumstances but I do want to see if I can do a little better. My option may be to wait as I had planned, pay off the N400 in full in the next 5-6 months, and negotiate on an end of the year N1000. Heck, insurance is so cheap so I really won't need to sell the N400 unless I want to pay off the N1000 faster.

I rode 165 miles yesterday, the 400 is fun, riding is a total blast and I am up to 6,800 miles since November 3rd :D

No matter what, I am sure like auto sales the dealer will make money on the sale, otherwise they would not remain in business.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I won't push hard due the circumstances but I do want to see if I can do a little better. My option may be to wait as I had planned, pay off the N400 in full in the next 5-6 months, and negotiate on an end of the year N1000. Heck, insurance is so cheap so I really won't need to sell the N400 unless I want to pay off the N1000 faster.

I rode 165 miles yesterday, the 400 is fun, riding is a total blast and I am up to 6,800 miles since November 3rd :D

No matter what, I am sure like auto sales the dealer will make money on the sale, otherwise they would not remain in business.
The going price of the 2020 N1k is liable to drop faster than the depreciation on your N400. If you enjoy riding the 400 right now, I'd keep having fun with it, especially in these uncertain times. Besides, there are core competency handling skills - and some funner ones :wink: - easier to learn on a lighter less powerful bike. Get those down pat before you switch to a big boy bike.

Once you paid it off in 5-6 months, try selling it yourself. There is always a market for bikes like the N400.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The local market is flooded with N300 and N400's for 2.5K-4K so I don't have a lot of hope to sell it for over 4K and may be harder with 10-12K miles.

If that black 19 up in Plano with exhaust, bags, rim tape and mounts had cruise I would be working hard on that deal, sweet bike for sure!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The local market is flooded with N300 and N400's for 2.5K-4K so I don't have a lot of hope to sell it for over 4K and may be harder with 10-12K miles.

If that black 19 up in Plano with exhaust, bags, rim tape and mounts had cruise I would be working hard on that deal, sweet bike for sure!
Just add a Kaoko throttle lock to the previous model. I've got one on my M109R and took a 700 mile round trip last year. Sure, it's not exactly like an electronic cruise control, but you can adjust the tension on the throttle so you can still turn it, but don't have to have a death grip on it or you can tighten it to the point that it will hold the throttle in place. I have cruise control on my FZ-10, and honestly, I was pretty much just as happy with the Kaoko. You just have to make small adjustments to the Kaoko, but it still allows you to rest your hand and/or use less of a grip to maintain speed.

·
Registered
871 Posts

Dealers out here are selling New N400's for under $4000. I didn't expect this to happen so quickly.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcd/d/petaluma-2019-kawasaki-ninja-400-call/7093213492.html

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Unfortunately this corona virus will probably put a few dealers out of business, plus the boat businesses are probably getting ready to take an *** kicking, if you think motorcycles are high, price a new bass boat with a 250 motor on it your looking at between 60,000 to 70,000 fully rigged out, they have lost there minds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Unfortunately this corona virus will probably put a few dealers out of business, plus the boat businesses are probably getting ready to take an *** kicking, if you think motorcycles are high, price a new bass boat with a 250 motor on it your looking at between 60,000 to 70,000 fully rigged out, they have lost there minds.
I was seriously into fast boats for a while. The boat business got killed probably worse than the motorcycle business after 2008. So it appears to me that they knew they would not get volume, so most of them who have survived are going after the wealthy. Fewer boats works when you are selling at much higher prices to people who don't care what the stock market is doing.

Motorcycle manufactures are using the volume of countries like Italy and big Asian countries that have what seems like millions of scooters being used for commuting to stay afloat while they figure out what to do with countries like the U.S. where motorcycles are almost always weekend toys. I know owners of several dealers. They all tell me that four wheelers are what have saved them. Honda dealers were the hardest hit because they did not have four wheelers. I guess they do now, I never go into Honda dealers anymore. The Goldwing is the only bike they make that I consider even remotely a class leader.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Motorcycle manufactures are using the volume of countries like Italy and big Asian countries that have what seems like millions of scooters being used for commuting to stay afloat while they figure out what to do with countries like the U.S. where motorcycles are almost always weekend toys. I know owners of several dealers. They all tell me that four wheelers are what have saved them. Honda dealers were the hardest hit because they did not have four wheelers. I guess they do now, I never go into Honda dealers anymore. The Goldwing is the only bike they make that I consider even remotely a class leader.
Quite a challenge here too, if you look at the number of bikes being sold, they are huge but all in the sub 150cc or 200cc range and mainly commuters.

The bigger bikes are still a lifestyle product buy and the numbers are minimal when compared to the overall volume. In fact, even much lower than other countries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts