21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Or if you only ride on the street:
  • 1" = Pretty cautious
  • 3/4" = Safe rider
  • 1/2" = Likes to play near the edge
  • 1/4" = Has excuse for every accident (sand, oil, animal, paint, etc.)
  • 0" = Heard at funeral "He was an awesome rider. No chicken strips at all."
Quite right. Besides, twisty roads are few and far between around these parts. It's just about unavoidable to wear down the center strip on that back tire.

That's one thing I do miss about living in SoCal.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you have a Andriod based phone, then go to the Google Play store and download the Yamaha MyRide app. It tracks speed, lean angle, acceleration, elevation and so much more, and it works perfectly for a Kawasaki N1K.
I downloaded the MyRide app (Andriod). Placed it my tank bag flat. It pretty much stayed put. It was an easy local ride.

The Google Maps route seems accurate. I'm trying to discover if there is a way to download the map to my desktop, but haven't as yet figured that one out. Here are the parameters for this short ride...

Distance 75.4 km
Ride time 58 minutes total 1 hour 13 minutes
Speed average 77 km/h, top 125 km/h
Acceleration -3.27 m/s² +4.1 m/s²
Lean Angle Left 31° Right 28°

The N1K maximum lean angle indicator reads Left 34° Right 31°, 3 degrees greater than the app on both sides. This is consistent with a very short 7 mile ride I made before this one.
I didn't have the acceleration selected on the bike, so I have no comparison (yet).
The other parameters appear to be accurate.

Perhaps someone else can make a comparison on the lean angles. The apps is pretty cool, I like it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Oops! After saving my ride and setting the defaults from metric to imperil, all the parameters equal the same except the lean angle!

I now have left 24° right 26°

Also before I saved it there was no minimum/maximum altitude, but after saving it is minimum 5612 feet/maximum 6745 feet, which is accurate. Now I'm puzzled why the lean angle changed, I need more testing and that means more riding!!!

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
147 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
Houtex, how long did it take you and JJS to max out the indicator? Something tells me you guys had that maxed out before the bike was due for its 600 mike check up.

·
Registered
Ninja 1000SX 2020 and 3xZ900 :)
40 Posts
Did it also get the underside of your exhaust heat shield? Mine was destroyed at 51 degrees, but no fairing damage.
I scratched the exhaust sometime earlier, before doing the suspension setup where we have set the rear suspension really hard. During the last ride I definitely felt only plastic scratching the asphalt, no metal contacts. I weight only 80kg. I also heavily load the front with trailbraking and I suspect that these two factors now keep my stock pipe a bit above the surface.
The left side fairing is equally scratched, too.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
It's not related. It's a worthless thing to track with regards to riding a motorcycle. Its relevance is just about zero. However, these two guys have been riding for many years and I believe both of them would see this indicator as a challenge and would not be happy until they found its limits.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Houtex, how long did it take you and JJS to max out the indicator? Something tells me you guys had that maxed out before the bike was due for its 600 mike check up.
I usually check out my cornering limits pretty quickly after getting comfortable on a new bike.

·
Registered
459 Posts
53 degrees so far.
Don't attempt to reproduce, it will scratch your fairing :)
Marco Was this fairing damage (circled in red) due the lean or some other reason? Just curious. Also can you post a photo of your exhaust damage so it can be compared to damage that @HouTex1000SX got on his 2020? Thank You.

·
Registered
Ninja 1000SX 2020 and 3xZ900 :)
40 Posts
Marco Was this fairing damage (circled in red) due the lean or some other reason?
No, this hole is another story.
The bike was dropped from a paddock stand. There's a bolt that holds one of the engine case covers right under this place. A little piece of plastic was literally pushed out when the falling bike pushed the fairing against that bolt's head. Bike suffered no other damages from that fall.

The exhaust is scratched in two places, one further outside and one further inside. I recall scratching it long time ago. The recent fairing contact was 100% 'plastic only contact', the sound and the feeling were very special.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Marco Was this fairing damage (circled in red) due the lean or some other reason? Just curious. Also can you post a photo of your exhaust damage so it can be compared to damage that @HouTex1000SX got on his 2020? Thank You.
My exhaust heat shield damage was a lot worse than Marco's at only 51 degrees (off bike now since I got the Akrapovic). I'm sure that differences in road camber come into play. And yes, just noticed that I also got similar fairing damage.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
thanks for sharing.
just in case you like to later modify your original replies, they are sent unmodified by email alerts.

View attachment 29738
Isnt that something? Would there be something wrong with editing a response ? A person posts something and it came across the wrong way? Maybe it had a misspelled word...maybe it sounded bad, mean, or antagonistic?

·
Registered
33 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts