Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how far has anyone leaned this bad boy in the turns? I started out at 35, adjusted the suspension and made it stiffer, 38 today

So when I got home my wife heled me lean it over in the garage, I was a two feet from the floor and it read 47, so guessing low 40's should be the max

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate the max lean angle is. At first I though it was pretty true up to about 38-40 degrees. But not too long ago I dipped it on two corners and it read like 44 degrees, but there is still a chicken strip on the rear left side, which should almost be gone, but is about 3/8" the same as the right side. I think it may be a good aid if the riders is using it in combination with learning the bike, suspension, tires, pressure, etc. Some I suppose are going to use it as a badge of skill which may not work out well for them.. It's not a race bike with race tires. It should do some extreme leans if condition are right with the S22's. Perhaps some other owners have better information about it.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Lean angle and unused tire portions are not always related to each other. Corner banking will play a roll.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lean angle and unused tire portions are not always related to each other. Corner banking will play a roll.
Got that but there should be more where on the left than the right if the max lean angle indicates more lean left than right for the same sloped/camber corners that I traveled out and back. Although that is not going to be perfect judgement, it's just an observation that makes me wonder about the accuracy. I would think they got it right and be more accurate than I can judge, just wondering!

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
If I was curious enough I'd find a hoist and measure same point on both sides as I leaned the bike over, something fixed and in a controlled manner. If it was off I'd let Kawi know.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Bike lean angle depends on how crappy your body position is around turns too.

But I was wondering if the system built into the bike used a G based trig calculation from GPS data. Some phone apps used that. If it's giving you a lean angle while you just lean it over in your garage I guess not then.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If Kawi really wanted to give owners a true indicator or their cornering prowess, they should have offered lateral acceleration instead of lean angle. It is a parameter readily available from the 6-axis IMU.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
We don't need no stinkin' electronics. Just look at your "chicken strips".
  • 1 inch wide = Newbie
  • 3/4 inch wide = Average
  • 1/2 inch wide = Good but more effort needed
  • 1/4 wide = Patience "Grasshopper", it will happen
  • 0 inch wide = Nirvana, you have made it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
  • 1 inch wide = Newbie
Dangerous rider with no chicken strips.

Can't always use chicken strips as an indication of rider skill or speed.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
147 Posts
The sensors are measuring the angle from vertical, so the camber of the road will definitely come into play. I'm currently at 51 right and 47 left with no chicken strips, and most of the roads I ride are fairly flat in the curves. I have severely scraped the bottom of the OEM muffler heat shield on the right side (since changed out to the Akarpovic). What the guy in the picture that Zaph posted is doing is called counter balancing where you keep your body position vertical and move the bike side to side under you (although not performed especially well and wrong for this application on The Dragon)--it's a good technique for negotiating severe low speed hairpin turns on steep mountain passes (especially uphill right handers)--I was taught to do this by an instructor on one of the tours I did through the Alps.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
  • 1 inch wide = Newbie
Or if you only ride on the street:
  • 1" = Pretty cautious
  • 3/4" = Safe rider
  • 1/2" = Likes to play near the edge
  • 1/4" = Has excuse for every accident (sand, oil, animal, paint, etc.)
  • 0" = Heard at funeral "He was an awesome rider. No chicken strips at all."

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
75 years ago, I'm sure the bike forums talked about what a waste having a speedometer was. After all, if you couldn't tell how fast you were going, what business did you have on a motorcycle? Maybe the same could be said for a tachometer?

As bikes became smooth, and very fast, some sort of visual Indicator is notice to have. On a big, smooth bike 130 feels like 75.

With that said, will this lean angle be something we learn to appreciate, or will it stay in the foolish category, like it is now? It's a huge thing, on facebook. The new people with the 2020 ninjas drop them in the driveway, but cant wait to put big numbers on this lean Indicator.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
147 Posts
I would be suspect of that 85 degree lean angle! 😀 Personally, I just think it's a fun feature.

·
Registered
541 Posts
75 years ago, I'm sure the bike forums talked about what a waste having a speedometer was. After all, if you couldn't tell how fast you were going, what business did you have on a motorcycle? Maybe the same could be said for a tachometer?

As bikes became smooth, and very fast, some sort of visual Indicator is notice to have. On a big, smooth bike 130 feels like 75.

With that said, will this lean angle be something we learn to appreciate, or will it stay in the foolish category, like it is now? It's a huge thing, on facebook. The new people with the 2020 ninjas drop them in the driveway, but cant wait to put big numbers on this lean Indicator.
In 2005 Corvette started putting lateral G meters on them if you got a heads up display. I predicted lots of folks would wind up in ditches and there would need to be a "G Meter" section of the forum. Didn't happen. There were very few discussions of it.

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
They have always done that with motorcycles. Add features. Some of them go away quickly, like anti dive forks, and some, like traction control and abs look like they are here to stay.

I wonder if this lean angle is part one of something that might be added, later? Bottled water....seriously, if that made it, theres hope for any product and gadgets isnt there?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
If you have a Andriod based phone, then go to the Google Play store and download the Yamaha MyRide app. It tracks speed, lean angle, acceleration, elevation and so much more, and it works perfectly for a Kawasaki N1K.

I understand that there is also an iOS version.

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
383 Posts
If you have a Andriod based phone, then go to the Google Play store and download the Yamaha MyRide app. It tracks speed, lean angle, acceleration, elevation and so much more, and it works perfectly for a Kawasaki N1K.
You have to mount the phone for this to work?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
Your phone can be either mounted to the handlebars, or used in a tank bag or tail bag or your shirt pocket.

However, if you lean off your bike when cornering and you store your phone in your shirt pocket, you’re going to have deeper lean angles that the bike.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts