Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the Ninja 1000 was getting it's first service done, I got a lend of the demo 2020 Africa Twin. Tricolour, manual suspension with DCT transmission.
I've never wanted to ride these before as they are too top heavy and over tall, and I am 6' 180 CM tall. It was take it or walk to the train home.

As a background, I rode a Suzuki V Strom 1000 for year, so I was well aware of the inherent dangers with this giraffe shaped bikes.
My fears were real, as I could only reach the ground on my tippy toes, and I had to pull out and turn into morning traffic without any idea of how the power would take up.I am not impressed with yanking on the throttle grip, raising the feet and accelerating away like in MOTOGP, but that's what the Twin from Honda wanted.

The DCT was better going up than down the gears as down was rough into first gear.
On the highway at our 100 kph speed limit, the pegs were vibrating enough to be an issue, and the windscreen was hopeless for it's function of being for rider comfort.
It had 2 positions, up was 200% worse than down. While it didn't buffer my helmet, it directed all the air to my head.

There were strong side winds present (25 kph), and the bike snaked around as being unstable at holding a straight lime for me. Not pleasant motoring.
Seat was comfortable, and it didn't drink much fuel.
It was a pleasure to ride in the same conditions back home on my Ninja 1000 SX SE.
The Afika Twin is not for me; luckily I got the V Strom 1000 in 2017, a much better road bike, as the Dealer was trying hard to sell the then new Honda to me at the time.
" Just take it for test ride - You'll love it ". No, said I then and say now, having experienced it.

Rob.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think the Honda is fugly. I do think the Versys 1k and the Tracer 900 gt are decent looking and wouldn't mind getting to ride them to see how I like the upright seating.

I read today that the V Strom engine is bulltproof and a really nice engine. It just looks a little funky to me and the Yamaha and Kawi have better features IMO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts