Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
Ok, I see that, now. That does suck. When you put the nut in, doesnt it center itself, like mine does? Mine is not a gpr, bit same idea.

As far as a complaint, i u derstand, but doesnt that option go away when a product was not listed as fitting the bike, in the first place? From their instructions they said they couldnt guarantee fit? If they said it fit a 2020, then yes, I'd be angry. If I ordered it, hoping for the best, that's on me. If a 3rd party told me it fit, thats on me, too. Few people know what the bike really is. That being said, I think they screwed the pooch in listing a new piece for the newer bike. It's never changed to require a new bracket.

If the hole is too large, this means you received the z 1000 mount kit. The z 1000 uses a larger center "decorative" nut. I know they list a different mount kit for the 19-20 bike, but I would order the older kit. I think someone confused this new bike with a zx10, or a z1000.

You could buy a decorative nut from the z 1000. Go for a 2010-2013 . I know the thread pattern will fit our stem. Sadly, Kawasaki did extra machine work on the z1000 nut. It has drilled , decorative holes. From memory, its probably 5mm larger diameter.

I "sadly" because those holes mean its priced like it's a medical device. It's like 75.00, or such. It pisses me off, because I had one that was useless, to me. I would have sent it to you, no charge, if I knew where the m-f er was. It would solve this problem.

Then again, I got mine when I bought used hardware, from ebay. I searched "z 1000 bolts" and bought all the hardware, from a nice 2013 z1000, for 35.00.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Gas

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
125 Posts
That's exactly my point, after $500.00+ you should have a product that fits within specs. Honestly if I would have know then what I know now, I would have waited or found another brand. I've had steering stabilizers installed before and they fit perfect. I'll even confess to having chinese knock offs that fit better, but like with my Akra I just made it work.

This in not a hard fix for GPR, they just have to mill 1 piece different (assuming the tank thing works). Will they is a matter of how many they will anticipate to sell to justify going back to the drawing board.
After further thought, I think the diameter of the baseplate hole being larger than the stem nut is a moot point. Even if the hole was sized exactly to perfectly fit the stem nut... its a round hole on a round peg; Torquing that stem nut is still going to cause rotational movement. Their instructions specifically state: "Center and adjust as needed"... but with too much play, I can see how it might move directionally, rather than just rotationally. It's the fact that the stops are a smidge too long, therefore not gripping the clamp as you stated/showed.

As for the frame mount - could there be minor hairline variances between gas tanks between bikes - even on the same year model? Sure. Could the tank positioning (what RC said) also played a part, absolutely. Could there even be variances in THEIR units? I believe so... It's my understanding they make these per order.

GPR sent me a second email a short while ago, asking if I wanted to just cancel my order outright and go ahead and refund me now.... to which I replied No, I'll give it a chance first.

If the hole is too large, this means you received the z 1000 mount kit. The z 1000 uses a larger center "decorative" nut. I know they list a different mount kit for the 19-20 bike, but I would order the older kit. I think someone confused this new bike with a zx10, or a z1000.

You could buy a decorative nut from the z 1000. Go for a 2010-2013 . I know the thread pattern will fit our stem. Sadly, Kawasaki did extra machine work on the z1000 nut. It has drilled , decorative holes. From memory, its probably 5mm larger diameter.
This is interesting RC... something I'll definitely look into.

I know another member installed this on his (what looks to be) a 2020 model, and he didn't reference any issues. Dunno... hard to tell.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
125 Posts
I do have 2 questions Rayman -

On their General Instructions for Sportbikes, the second step says:

"Second - Center the base plate onto the top-clamp. DO NOT USE THE STEERING STEM WASHER. Use your OEM stem nut, or if one was supplied by GPR use it..."

First question - the washer they are talking about - are they referring to Part 92200A shown here? And if so, did you reinstall the washer or leave it out? I'm curious as to why it would be left off.

Hand Arm Leg Gesture Font

Second question - did they supply a stem nut, or did you reuse the OEM stem nut? (Part 92154A shown above)

·
Premium Member
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
35 Posts
I do have 2 questions Rayman -

On their General Instructions for Sportbikes, the second step says:

"Second - Center the base plate onto the top-clamp. DO NOT USE THE STEERING STEM WASHER. Use your OEM stem nut, or if one was supplied by GPR use it..."

First question - the washer they are talking about - are they referring to Part 92200A shown here? And if so, did you reinstall the washer or leave it out? I'm curious as to why it would be left off.

View attachment 32294

Second question - did they supply a stem nut, or did you reuse the OEM stem nut? (Part 92154A shown above)
Negative I did not use the washer and negative they did not supply a stem nut (what you see in the package is what I got) but it wouldn't matter as the bolt still wanders in the cavity's mount and the washer will NOT work as a bushing (I tried).

And I believe the reason for not using the washer is so you have more threads in the lower fork holder.

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
If it will help, I've been meaning to remove my bracket...like it's some big operation...I dont mean it like that. I wanted to remove it just to clean under the bracket, re-torque , and ride for 10 more years.

I'll take some pictures, if you want? I would also be in a good place to take measurements, if that will help?

It's odd that the new kit showed up for the 18-19 bike. I dont think that's legit. See if they want you to be the test dummy. Have them send you the old, 2017 mounting bracket. When that fits, you'll be the guy who sent them back to fix their fit charts. I'm sure the other people had the same issue. They never mentioned it and assumed it was correct.

Kawasaki shows the same upper triple clamp listed for the 2011-2020 bikes.44039-0105-18r. The "18r" is a paint code. That didnt appear until 2014. Before that, the 18r was missing. But, when you see 44039-0105, that's the same part.

Our frame is the same as the naked z 1000. The tank is different, but its mounting points are the same.

Part of the confusion happens when this bike is discussed because the "Ninja 1000" was only an american/canadian bike. In many other places, it was a z1000sx. If you ask them if they ever tested the fit of the new 2018-19 kit, the answer will be "no". That Info was customer reported.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
I know that I am late to the party, but would it be possible to get a measurement of the diameter of the raised section on the underside of the mounting plate (red line in image below) ??

My guess is that this section is the same outside diameter and same thickness as the stock washer ( p/n 92200A referenced above), but I'd like to know for sure.

Many thanks.

Camera accessory Font Rim Composite material Auto part

·
Registered
541 Posts
Good luck. I’m sure it can be made to work. I’m a car and motorcycle junkie and have been following many forums for 20 years. When I read threads like this I have no interest in their products.

The older I get the more I just want to remove stress from my life. But I still understand why people want to make things work. I’ve been there.

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
Of a person had to weld, bend, or fabricate, I can see that being an issue. This situation calls for ordering the correct mounting bracket, or changing a nut. I would think this would be workable for anyone?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Of a person had to weld, bend, or fabricate, I can see that being an issue. This situation calls for ordering the correct mounting bracket, or changing a nut. I would think this would be workable for anyone?
RC, I’m not sure what you are saying I guess. Are you saying that there is a correct mounting bracket that they sell for the bike? I’m not seeing that. I think you are saying it will work if the buyer figures out on his own what bracket or nut would work.

I get your point, and you are really good at that sort of thing. I’m pretty good at it too. But I don’t want to spend $500 and then unknowingly have to go figure it out. And a lot of people are not good at that.

As far as the supplier thinking there is a difference between the 20 and 21, I would bet a fair amount of money that there is no difference.

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
Jjs, I hope our guy will find out the story about the mounting kit listed for the 18-19 bike. I think that's where the error is. The top triple clamp, tank, fr and handlebar never changed on this bike, so the alternate kit doesnt make sense. I would have liked to see just why the older kit wouldnt work.

Gpr should have test fit this bike, and I'm sure they will, but to be fair to them, none of the kits were listed as fitting a 2020, so ordering a damper was agreeing to be the test fit person. If they had listed it as being a correct fit, the complaint would be justified.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
125 Posts
Jjs, I hope our guy will find out the story about the mounting kit listed for the 18-19 bike. I think that's where the error is. The top triple clamp, tank, fr and handlebar never changed on this bike, so the alternate kit doesnt make sense. I would have liked to see just why the older kit wouldnt work.

Gpr should have test fit this bike, and I'm sure they will, but to be fair to them, none of the kits were listed as fitting a 2020, so ordering a damper was agreeing to be the test fit person. If they had listed it as being a correct fit, the complaint would be justified.
Not sure if this was a typo, or confusion along the way….But they list the kit for every bike thru (and including) 2020. It’s the 2021 model they don’t list… which is what I have and what appears that Rayman has as well.

If it’s true that nothing changed on the bike between 2019/2020/2021… then the GPR stabilizer NEVER fit the 2019/2020 model…and therefore would never fit the 2021 either.

I would be more willing to believe that GPR has some quality control issues…but if not, then anyone who has”successfully” installed this puppy on a 2019/2020/2021 bike did not see or raise concern over the fitment issues that were raised and demonstrated in this thread.

And that’s exactly what we really need: someone who has successfully installed this on a 2019/2020/2021, to remove it and take pics showing how the unit fits.

Product Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
I must have found an old link were it showed the newest fit as being an 18-19.

That bracket looks too nice to be a mistake. Somewhere along the way, gpr screwed up their fit chart, or used customer supplied info.

I know thrmeltr and Sam Gene both have gpr dampers. I believe tyrmeltr bike is a 2018. Sam's might be a 2017?

Isn't this gpr damper a newer version? Sometimes these companies release new versions of their products and treat them like they are a new fitment. This allows them to sell the old stock. I wonder if that's what happened here?

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
I havent been able to confirm this, myself, but it Kawasaki may have changed the triple [email protected] 2018-2019 ish. Same part number, but a changed piece. That doesnt happen, very often. If ever.

Not in any way that would matter. The old clamp would fit the new bike. However, one area that would screw you up is if they changed the angle of the key, and how that mechanism is held the clamp. If they used more material, or raised the assembly, it might be an issue. The damper bracket needs enough room to fit around the hole.

I'll take a picture of my clamp, and we can see if the 2020 looks different. If they changed the clamp, the 2020 should have this "new'part.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Update, after 522 miles of riding I removed the GPR. I've had dampers before but never a center stem mounted type so I thought to myself I just need to get use to it, maybe it needs some brake in time. Didn't, couldn't get use to it, it's just to intrusive (for me) even at the lowest setting of 1. I found myself struggling just to keep the bike going in a straight line (like over correcting).

Now for those that will say "you must of installed it wrong" I done all my work on my bikes this is not my first rodeo, but I did removed it (just in case) and re-installed it after going through anything I've might have missed.

Still the stiffness prevailed and I'm assuming it's just the design and type. I've ordered a Dimotiv-Damper Mounting Kit with and Ohlins damper (see when it gets here) which is the style I've used in the past and has worked well for "me".

That being said I'm putting my GPR up for sale. If you're familiar with the GPR brand and want to give it a try it's $400.00 shipped to the lower 48's. Please read this post in it's entirety so you understand what you'll be buying as I'm new here and don't want nobody to say "well I wish I knew that" if they purchase it and are not happy.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
You don't have to wait Blade as this has been done already. Here is the link with pictures. My set up is the same but with a black Ohlins.

2020 steering damper??

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
Scott's has adjustments to avoid this issue. It's too bad they wont bother making a bracket. I had to order mine from Taiwan.

You are right , and I know what you are talking about. If the damping isnt done correctly, the bike feels like rhe steering head bearings are too tight.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
What about swapping out the damper oil for a lighter weight oil ?? Say 5W or even 2.5W shock/fork oil

21 - 40 of 40 Posts