Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one shipping to me and I will confirm fitment for the 2020 model. This company makes a really nice stabilizer with a smart design.

If anyone had side by side of 19 to a 20 to compare handlebar /fork tree I don't think they changed anything there. So this should would.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the stabilizer and it is really nice!

·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts
The only complaint you ever hear about gpr is leaking. The dampers are not a complicated piece of machinery. Even if I had to re seal the thing, on occasion, it would still be worth having.

·
Premium Member
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
33 Posts
Got my GPR today. It's been over a month since I ordered it. I will be installing it this weekend and post pictures and thoughts when completed.

Font Gas Machine Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
113 Posts
Nice!

…but those shipping times 😒
I ordered mine on 9/3 and they responded same day with “1-2 weeks”.

It’d better not be more than a month

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Here it is installed. It will fit but has some engineering flaws (I will elaborate later). I contacted GPR which are excellent with responding, but was told they never had an issue with this kit on 2020 N1K's. So I will ask, has anybody installed this kit on a 2021 or has had any issues with fitment? My understanding is that the 2020 and 2021 are identical (assuming we are talking about US models) except for the color. Am I correct or just misinformed and ignorant?

Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts
The steering damper brackets often times end up close to the fuel tank. That's not their fault. Out tanks have several positions they can end up in with regards to the mounting brackets. If you loosen all the brackets, you can move the entire tank back to where it clears and wont touch the pai pnted surface.

My custom bracket for the Scortts damper did this.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
The steering damper brackets often times end up close to the fuel tank. That's not their fault. Out tanks have several positions they can end up in with regards to the mounting brackets. If you loosen all the brackets, you can move the entire tank back to where it clears and wont touch the pai pnted surface.

My custom bracket for the Scortts damper did this.
That was my main issue. I got it to work, but didn't think to loosen the tanks hardware (DA) instead I sanded it just enough to clear the tank so it wouldn't rub on the paint. You can clearly see in the picture that if tighten it would cause some damage. I put a thin napkin between the bracket and tank and as soon as I started tighten the bolts the napkin would seize to slide.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Rim

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
113 Posts
Here it is installed. It will fit but has some engineering flaws (I will elaborate later). I contacted GPR which are excellent with responding, but was told they never had an issue with this kit on 2020 N1K's. So I will ask, has anybody installed this kit on a 2021 or has had any issues with fitment? My understanding is that the 2020 and 2021 are identical (assuming we are talking about US models) except for the color. Am I correct or just misinformed and ignorant?
Awaiting elaboration

What flaws? What fitment issues?

I have a 2021 model, and before I ordered my GPR V5, (which I’m still waiting on), I had emailed them, because their website only listed 2019-2020. I wanted to be sure it fit the 2021.

Below is the response I got. I ordered it after the owner to me “it should fit”. If it doesn’t, I’m sending it back. For $500+, I shouldn’t have to “make it fit”. I shouldn’t have to loosen every bolt on the bike to make it fit. IMO, that’s stupid and poor workmanship on their part if that’s what they expect bike owners to do.

My .02

Font Screenshot Number Document Circle

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
113 Posts
You posted right before I did. Again, for having to sand their $500 product, I’d demand some sort of discount. But that’s me

As for parts… I ordered and installed foot lowering blocks from MotoWerk, and I did file down one edge that was making contact. But that was only a $50 block of aluminum. Not a $500 “safety device”

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
113 Posts
Sorry if I’m coming across crass… I certainly don’t mean to. But that really chaps my a$$

To me that’s no different than buying a tow hitch for your brand new truck to pull your fancy RV Trailer… and the hitch is marketed as “it fits your truck”… and you have to grind away at, and hammer away at, their part, or adjust your bumper, or adjust your RV just to get installed. That doesn’t fly with me.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Again the kit has other manufacturing issues in "my" opinion. I made it work but again in "my" opinion when you spend $500.00+ you should get a Product that fits right.

As You can see in these pictures the upper bracket has a wider diameter then the bolt, which prevents it from sitting true.

The bracket itself has some stops that again doesn't grab the upper the way it should (to keep it straight).

Now I did provide pictures to Paul Dorrian at GPR and he told me he would inform engineering and they would remove it as a 2021 fitment.

Blade, Paul Dorrian (GPR Rep) did ask if I new of any members that were waiting on a order and to contact them.

Input on if I'm over reacting or do guys agree. I did keep it on there, but will be keeping my eyes on it to make sure it doesn't come lose (I did use Loctite and torqued to specs).

Some may even suggest I remove it due to a safety concern.

When you don't trust a new mod or upgrade you start doubting the improvements of the mod. I will inform you guys on how she holds.

Bicycle part Camera accessory Rim Circle Font

White Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
53 Posts
Again the kit has other manufacturing issues in "my" opinion. I made it work but again in "my" opinion when you spend $500.00+ you should get a Product that fits right.

As You can see in these pictures the upper bracket has a wider diameter then the bolt, which prevents it from sitting true.

The bracket itself has some stops that again doesn't grab the upper the way it should (to keep it straight).

Now I did provide pictures to Paul Dorrian at GPR and he told me he would inform engineering and they would remove it as a 2021 fitment.

Blade, Paul Dorrian (GPR Rep) did ask if I new of any members that were waiting on a order and to contact them.

Input on if I'm over reacting or do guys agree. I did keep it on there, but will be keeping my eyes on it to make sure it doesn't come lose (I did use Loctite and torqued to specs).

Some may even suggest I remove it due to a safety concern.

When you don't trust a new mod or upgrade you start doubting the improvements of the mod. I will inform you guys on how she holds.

View attachment 32286

View attachment 32288
I had the opposite experience with my 636. The bracket was too small for the steering head bolt. I had to machine it out in order for it to fit. And this was after informing GPR with photos that the original didn’t fit. They sent another bracket. Same issue. I also got the same story of not having heard of fitment issues with the 2013+ ZX-6R. This was all back in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I had the opposite experience with my 636. The bracket was too small for the steering head bolt. I had to machine it out in order for it to fit. And this was after informing GPR with photos that the original didn’t fit. They sent another bracket. Same issue. I also got the same story of not having heard of fitment issues with the 2013+ ZX-6R. This was all back in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have prefer that scenario. At least it would sit true. This one was a little tricky to tighten the bolt and keeping in straight. As I torqued it it wanted to move towards the right.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
113 Posts
Well, I shot GPR an email last night… and below (pic) this is the response I got.

So two weeks ago (see first email from him I posted above), he basically tells me “2020 and 2021 is the same part (KW clamp) and that was the only thing that changed in 2019… and it should fit”

Now he’s backtracking, stating he doesn’t know

I’m quickly losing faith in all the GPR hype.

Font Screenshot Number

·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts
Lift the seat up, and loosen the rear, rubber mounted bracket as well as the front mounts. You'll be surprised at how much play there is between the bracket and frame mounts. I'm not saying you can end up storing sandwiches there, but you can get 2 or 3mm, easily.

Right now, mine has enough room for 4 thicknesses of paint protection film. It's never scratched the paint. You can see making the aluminum mount, thinner , wasn't a good option as it would be too weak.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
113 Posts
Lift the seat up, and loosen the rear, rubber mounted bracket as well as the front mounts. You'll be surprised at how much play there is between the bracket and frame mounts. I'm not saying you can end up storing sandwiches there, but you can get 2 or 3mm, easily.

Right now, mine has enough room for 4 thicknesses of paint protection film. It's never scratched the paint. You can see making the aluminum mount, thinner , wasn't a good option as it would be too weak.
I get that...I do. but the bigger problem (I think) is the significantly larger diameter in their upper bracket than the stem bolt (as Rayman's pic shows). This allows for increased play and less specific positioning. And as Rayman said, when torqueing 80 foot pounds on the stem nut, something with that much play is going to move - no way around that... I don't think.

Not to mention, those 90-degree stops that should be grabbing better on the clamp to prevent any rotation while tightening the stem nut.

It just seems to me that something this expensive that is supposed to provide some increased level of safety, should fit better from the start.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I get that...I do. but the bigger problem (I think) is the significantly larger diameter in their upper bracket than the stem bolt (as Rayman's pic shows). This allows for increased play and less specific positioning. And as Rayman said, when torqueing 80 foot pounds on the stem nut, something with that much play is going to move - no way around that... I don't think.

Not to mention, those 90-degree stops that should be grabbing better on the clamp to prevent any rotation while tightening the stem nut.

It just seems to me that something this expensive that is supposed to provide some increased level of safety, should fit better from the start.
That's exactly my point, after $500.00+ you should have a product that fits within specs. Honestly if I would have know then what I know now, I would have waited or found another brand. I've had steering stabilizers installed before and they fit perfect. I'll even confess to having chinese knock offs that fit better, but like with my Akra I just made it work.

This in not a hard fix for GPR, they just have to mill 1 piece different (assuming the tank thing works). Will they is a matter of how many they will anticipate to sell to justify going back to the drawing board.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts