Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Which will you go with?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lol yes you're the guy Ricardo said bought it from the showroom. Because of you now I have to wait for another to get built from the crate lol
Sat on it Friday, test rode and bought it the next morning. Between the two of us we've cut their stock on this bike in half. Are you getting bags on yours?

·
Registered
13 Posts
2017-2019 was the ninja 1000 in it's purest form, all kawasaki had to do for the 2020 model year was give it 25 more hp, throw the H2 dash in it and put a proper supersport swingarm on it.

Introducing the all new 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R

·
Registered
413 Posts
2017-2019 was the ninja 1000 in it's purest form, all kawasaki had to do for the 2020 model year was give it 25 more hp, throw the H2 dash in it and put a proper supersport swingarm on it.

Introducing the all new 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
Pretty much what the Z-H2 is all about.

·
Registered
870 Posts
HP has its appeal, but on a bike like the Ninja 1000, I'd rather have the 2020 updates over 20HP any day of the week. IMO, Kawi did exactly what they should have done in the latest round.

OK, maybe a center stand would've been nice.

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
Volfy, the centerstand is a strange item because Kawasaki didnt have to give you the centerstand. If the bike had two small brackets welded to the frame, they could have sold you the centerstand as an option. Buy it, dont buy it, everyone wins.

The 20 extra horsepower is easy. That's been an option since 2011. Maybe not the full 20 hp, but +15 is no problem..

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yeah, it wouldn't be much work to add the supports for a CS. Pretty much just copy what they already have on Versys 1000. I understand not every rider wants it, and I'm okay with having to buy a kit to add one, as I did on the ZX14R.

Same goes for the extra ponies. I think it's great that guys that want it could get it.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
My 1990 VFR750 came without a centerstand. It was $140 for one and took me one lube of the chain to decide to buy it. If Kawasaki had made it an option in 2020 it would have been the one thing that made me trade up my '18.
Thinking way back, the first bike I ever owned I took the centerstand off to save weight. Now I really want one!

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
Kenors, that was the best part of having the centerstand, for me. You could remove it to save weight, but if you wanted to lift your bike, all you had to do was put it back in place. No big deal since there was no need to deal with springs. Just slide the two bolts in place, and lift he bike. When you were done, set bike down, remove the bolts, and put he stand into storage.

If you wanted to remove the front tire, or forks, just tie the back end down. Way better than any front or rear stand.

Does the Versys 1000 have a centerstand? I dont remember if it does?

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Pretty sure the Versys 1000 comes with a center stand. I seem to remember checking to see if the Ninja had the same frame tabs the Versys did since they were so similar. Alas...no such luck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I believe the later Versys 1000 did come with CS. Not sure about the earlier ones. If you download the SW Motech center stand (supposedly for 2011-14) installation manual from the link above, you'll see that the mounting points differ from the Kawi link, which is apparently for 2019-2020. My guess is that earlier Versys 1000 lack the bottom mounting holes, just like our Ninja 1000. At some point, Kawi added the bottom mounting tabs specifically to add the center stand. The fact they didn't do the same for the N1k is just unconscionable.

It does mean that the SW Motech kit could possibly be modified to work on the N1k. I'm not gonna spend $250 to find out, but if I come across it for much cheaper, I might just get it to tinker around.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I believe the later Versys 1000 did come with CS. Not sure about the earlier ones. If you download the SW Motech center stand (supposedly for 2011-14) installation manual from the link above, you'll see that the mounting points differ from the Kawi link, which is apparently for 2019-2020. My guess is that earlier Versys 1000 lack the bottom mounting holes, just like our Ninja 1000. At some point, Kawi added the bottom mounting tabs specifically to add the center stand. The fact they didn't do the same for the N1k is just unconscionable.

It does mean that the SW Motech kit could possibly be modified to work on the N1k. I'm not gonna spend $250 to find out, but if I come across it for much cheaper, I might just get it to tinker around.
If you (or anyone) does something of this nature PLEASE post a detailed review of the process. I suspect there's a bunch of us out here that would be grateful. I'd spend $250 on a center stand (knowing it worked) long before any exhaust component or flash.

Reactions: MicMac and slayman

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
Those brackets look like I made them in jr High Shop class. Not like there's much choice.

It's probably too tall, but I'll bet it's possible to bolt it on to the frame.

The centerstand was awesome because it was always with you. Many bikes wont stand on a sidestand if they have a flat tire. Unless you have a tree, you often times have to lay the bike on its side if you go for help. Also, the centerstand was the perfect front stand, too. Tie the back end down to the ground. Now you can remove the front wheel, as well as the forks and triple clamps. You cant do that witha front stand.

This might be a bad idea. The ninja does sit lower than the Versys. I could see this reducing cornering clearance. No big deal on the tall Versys. Maybe an issue here since our bikes sit low,

·
Registered
870 Posts
It isn't going to be anywhere close to a straight bolt-on on the N1k, that's for sure. Could end up being too much trouble to re-weld too many pieces. At the very least, the assembly would need to be shortened for N1k's lower frame height. Kinda why I'm not rushing out to buy one to try. All it is... is possibly a shortcut vs. a complete custom job built from scratch.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts