Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Which will you go with?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, getting tired of my 500 and ran into a bind haha. With the shortages in the world, I have 2 options.... a used 2018 1000SX with 1100 miles and saddles or a brand new still in the crate 2021 1000SX. Was trying to find out the major differences between the 2, just want some advice.

Prices on both broken down is...
2021 - 12,599 minus 250 for Military Discount
2018 - 9,999 NADA value at 10,325

I will be putting down $2,500

Appreciate your advices and opinions.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
870 Posts
At those prices, go for the new 2021.

I got my NOS 2018 with 0 miles for a lot less than that, just before 2020s got to dealer showrooms. Not sure if there is a shortages right now that affect the motorcycle industry too. Used prices seem kinda high.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There are very significant changes starting in 2000. I’ve had the before and after. The new one handles much better, has cruise control and other nice features

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are very significant changes starting in 2000. I’ve had the before and after. The new one handles much better, has cruise control and other nice features
Quick shifter and Cruise Control. was the IMU another change too?

·
Registered
870 Posts
IMU was added for 2017+.

·
Registered
56 Posts
has cruise control and other nice features
I agree with grabbing the '21. I picked mine up instead of a 2019 and I'm happy I did. The cruise control alone is worth it IMO, but the other stuff is great as well. I will say the quickshifter is really finnicky. It's fantastic if you're going to be on a track and treating the throttle like an on/off switch. On the street, it's mediocre IMO. Other than that, though, the '21 is fantastic. I'm actually going to be leaving today on my first big trip on it. Will be doing about 500 miles rounds trip and really excited for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with grabbing the '21. I picked mine up instead of a 2019 and I'm happy I did. The cruise control alone is worth it IMO, but the other stuff is great as well. I will say the quickshifter is really finnicky. It's fantastic if you're going to be on a track and treating the throttle like an on/off switch. On the street, it's mediocre IMO. Other than that, though, the '21 is fantastic. I'm actually going to be leaving today on my first big trip on it. Will be doing about 500 miles rounds trip and really excited for it.
It's still in it's crate. Will be looking at it around noon today. Not able to ride it as it takes a couple of hours to assemble it. Any one purchase extended warranty?

·
Registered
532 Posts
The 21 is a better stock bike. I would get the 21 unless you want to go all in on turning it into a sportbike for max hp. The 2018 can be flashed, but the 21 can't, and with the price difference you could get a full system, ECU flash, new seat and clip ons on the 18 for the same price as a stock 21.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 21 is a better stock bike. I would get the 21 unless you want to go all in on turning it into a sportbike for max hp. The 2018 can be flashed, but the 21 can't, and with the price difference you could get a full system, ECU flash, new seat and clip ons on the 18 for the same price as a stock 21.
End of the day. We all know eventually tuning will be available in the future.

·
Registered
'21 Ninja 1000SX w/ top case, Yoshi slip-on, LED signals, "Custom LED" taillight
24 Posts
Hey Guys, getting tired of my 500 and ran into a bind haha. With the shortages in the world, I have 2 options.... a used 2018 1000SX with 1100 miles and saddles or a brand new still in the crate 2021 1000SX. Was trying to find out the major differences between the 2, just want some advice.

Prices on both broken down is...
2021 - 12,599 minus 250 for Military Discount
2018 - 9,999 NADA value at 10,325

I will be putting down $2,500

Appreciate your advices and opinions.

Thanks,
Brian
I have a slightly used '21 for sale in NW Indiana if that helps?

·
Registered
870 Posts
It's still in it's crate. Will be looking at it around noon today. Not able to ride it as it takes a couple of hours to assemble it. Any one purchase extended warranty?
Kawi has Demo events quite often throughout the year. Demo tours, test rides, racing, and more | Local Kawasaki Events They seem to favor Texas for some reason. You missed several Demo rides held at DFW area dealerships in the last couple of months. I test rode the 2020 N1k twice.

As for extended warranty, the Kawi Protection Plus is a pretty good deal. You can extend up to 4yrs on the N1k and are eligible to buy the policy up until the original factory warranty expires, regardless of whether you are the original owner or not. I bought it for my '18 N1k before the 1yr was up. I did it for my C14 yrs ago and just the replacement rear wheel TPMS sensor alone paid for a good part of it. It is 100% transferable and, in the C14's case, was also a good selling point, as it still had some 3yrs left when I sold it.

You can buy it from any Kawi dealer. I bought mine online and Kawi sent the paperwork directly to me by mail.

·
Registered
532 Posts
End of the day. We all know eventually tuning will be available in the future.
Possibly...nobody has been able to crack the new ZX10R and R1. They've been using race ECUs and powermander. Ivan didn't come out with a flash for the 2017-19 N1K until last summer. So it's going to be a while. I rode the new gen and don't think it needs a flash, very smooth throttle response and engine braking is less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope. I picked mine up about 10 days ago and traded in an F6B. Think it's still in their showroom.
Lol yes you're the guy Ricardo said bought it from the showroom. Because of you now I have to wait for another to get built from the crate lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts