Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The tires have approximately 2500 miles on them. These are the OEM Tires Bridgestone Battlax I think S20. I started to have my front tire wear (Please See Attached Picture) Also, for good measure I included a picture of my back tire. Since I have owned the bike I have run 36 PSI front and 38 PSI Rear (Verified with 3 Different Gauges) The front tire is the tire of my concern. I am told that I might have to wait until I replace these tires with a good set to determine what is happening. I'm considering Michelin Road 5. Also I am told that Michelin just came out with a new Road 5 GT. Any ideas? I may opt for the Road Smart 3s. Most of my mileage is commuting to work or traveling on the weekend. No track days.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Qualifier: My experience is with 2011 and 2014 Ninja 1000s, commuting/sport touring mainly in the north west corner of the US & over the border in Canada. All reviews are with a /55 profile rear.

Huge Pilot Road fan from all the way back to the Road 1s. I was going for mileage and wet performance and they delivered. Up until Road 4s it was all good. Mileage went up with every revision and rain performance just got better and better. With road 5s I ended up with weird feathering on the front tire. I didn't really feel it but I ended up changing out the tires based on front tire wear. I then went to a Road 5 rear & Road 4 front. There was also forum suggestions that the feathering could be fixed with suspension changes. I never got around to trying that.

At one point, I tried a Road 4 GT thinking maybe better mileage at the back end. That was true but it came at a cost. That tire is definitely made for HEAVY bikes. On the Ninja it feels like it's made of concrete. All the little road nubbles I never use to feel went right to my spine. I did not go with the GT tire again.

Enter Dunlop's super unbelievable cheap (w/ $60 rebate) Roadsmart IIIs. Gave them a try and never looked back. (2014 N1k) This tire made the Ninja handle better. Even "more" neutral feeling and slightly easier turn-in than the PRs. Even better, they feel "softer" and absorb even more of the little road nubbles making for a more relaxing ride. But...about 8k into my first set I noticed the front wasn't wearing even. There were slight indent on either side of the center of the tread. The tire guys said it's a dual compound tire and as it flattens out on the road, the center wears less than the softer side compounds. He suggested running 38# in the front. I just started that when me and the blue Ninja were swept off the road by an unobservant trucker.

I haven't picked up my 2018 Ninja yet but I will be running Roadsmart IIIs on it when I do.

Reactions: Bc2 and HoloQuest

·
Registered
226 Posts
Check out reviews of the Pirelli Angel Gt's if you're willing to consider other brands. Also, consider running a 55 profile rear instead of the factory 50. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as some of the folks on this site when it comes to bikes but even my novice self noticed a significant difference in flickability and turn in when I switched to the 55.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Check out reviews of the Pirelli Angel Gt's if you're willing to consider other brands.
I ran Angel GT's for over 40,000 miles and I loved them. Pirelli has been making tires since 1885!

Unfortunately, in March 2015 Pirelli was purchased by ChemChina a subsidery of the Chinese government.

So I switched to Dunlop Roadsmart 3's and am happy again.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Check out reviews of the Pirelli Angel Gt's if you're willing to consider other brands.
I ran Angel GT's for over 40,000 miles and I loved them. Pirelli has been making tires since 1885!

Unfortunately, in March 2015 Pirelli was purchased by ChemChina a subsidery of the Chinese government.

So I switched to Dunlop Roadsmart 3's and am happy again.
Didn't realize that. Checked online and it seems Dunlop are the only all American motorcycle tires out there (unless I read wrong). It's nearly impossible to avoid supporting that communist regime but I'll do so when possible. Guess it'll be Dunlop for me in the future.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
How far are we supposed to go with anti China thing? If China is a problem, you cant use any original Kawasaki levers, hoses, plastic pieces, or 16097-0008 oil filters. I imagine you have removed those from your bike, right? . They say Kawasaki on them, but are built in China.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm ok with paying more and getting them back built in Japan or US. We just cannot keep funding an enemy.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm ok with paying more and getting them back built in Japan or US. We just cannot keep funding an enemy.
Japan was the 'enemy' in World War-II. I agree with RC on this. Pirelli still employs people all over the world with plants in 12 countries.

·
Registered
588 Posts
With the exception of the Dunlops that came from the factory on my Yamaha, I have never had good luck with OEM tires. The Bridgestones that came on my Ninja 1000 were not very good and the front tire was wearing as fast as the rear which was unusual.

Like Kenors, I am a fan of the Roadsmart 3 when it comes to sport touring tires.

Bc2......definitely switch to the 190/55 rear tire size when you replace the OEM rubber!!

Reactions: Bc2 and rcannon409

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi All,

The tires have approximately 2500 miles on them. These are the OEM Tires Bridgestone Battlax I think S20. I started to have my front tire wear (Please See Attached Picture) Also, for good measure I included a picture of my back tire. Since I have owned the bike I have run 36 PSI front and 38 PSI Rear (Verified with 3 Different Gauges) The front tire is the tire of my concern. I am told that I might have to wait until I replace these tires with a good set to determine what is happening. I'm considering Michelin Road 5. Also I am told that Michelin just came out with a new Road 5 GT. Any ideas? I may opt for the Road Smart 3s. Most of my mileage is commuting to work or traveling on the weekend. No track days.
Rapid, and uneven, front tyre wear is possibly the result of overly soft front suspension. You need to check your compression and rebound. Dial in completely to full lock and then dial out both adjusting screws one full turn. Do the same with the rear shock preload by dialling in (clockwise) to full lock and then dial out maybe 8-10 clicks. That will also significantly help in the handling of your bike.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Bikram, thats a really good point. If a person had uneven tire wear, on the minivan ( not that BC has a minivan) the last thing they would blame is the tire. You would look at alignment, shocks or struts way before the tire, itself.

I think my Pirellis say "Made in Mexico" at least thats a good Country that were not pissed off at. Well, as soon as we finish the wall.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. The sportiest tire you can get on the N1k without going with a full on sport tire. Get the 190/55 rear tire. I will never look back to even the Michelins (they're good too) or the Pirelli Angel GT2.

On the subject on where these tires are made, it's true that Pirelli is owned by ChemChina...one of the largest state owned Conglomerates in the world. State owned means it's government owned and run, and is deeply intertwined with the Communist party of China. Having said that, my Roadsmart 3's are made in Japan (LOL). I do believe their sport tires are made in the USA. Pirelli will often times build their tires in China or Germany, depending on the type and price point.

Whether China is an "enemy" depends on how you define it. China's state run economy is based on predatory practices of stealing intellectual property, currency manipulation, forced technology transfers, and state subsidies. They are a member of the World trade Organization, and insist everyone play by those rules except China. They play by their own rules. China behaves like this because it's in their culture and primarily because the world allows them to. The USA created China and their behavior today. We are to blame for allowing China to get away with this behavior for decades because we had no backbone and cared more for the almighty $$ than doing things right. Also we were scared of Trade War. American Corporate greed sent manufacturing to China. The USA basically is paying for the Chinese military buildup we have been seeing for decades. Whether you agree with it or not, what we have been witnessing in the past 12+ months with the US-China Trade war is what the US should have done back in the 1990's--force China to play by the rules, and not allow US manufacturing to bleed there. There is a silver lining to all this. This Trade War has revealed that so many Pro-China people were wrong all along! The USA is the the tail that wags the Chinese dog! China's Export driven economy depends too heavily on US demand, which they can't replace. All the manufacturing moving out of China to avoid the Tariffs have benefited other countries, primarily, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Mexico, and a few others. Basically it spread the windfall that China has been getting fat on to other nations around the world. Regardless of whether there is a Trade deal between China and the US, China's economy will never recover and these changes we are seeing will define their behavior from here on out. At the very least, China isn't out there actively killing Americans, beheading innocent civilians, etc. They want a trade deal. They NEED a trade deal. The US also wants a trade deal but doesn't depend on it to do well on its own. In the end this will be beneficial for everyone.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Don't you have to start the wall before finishing it RC?......ha
It's being built already. Here in California and Texas. Yup California....LMAO! Hard to believe isn't it?

I think people are pissed off at China because they're not being fair to ANYONE including any of their neighbors. They use bully tactics. That's just China being China. And the only country that can out bully them is...yup, the USA. And that's what we are seeing. But at the end of the day it's all about the money. China doesn't want conflict, it wants money. They can't survive without trade. The USA holds that card and that's just fact. I'm optimistic good things will come of this. Not just for China and the US, but everyone including our neighbors to the North and South, Europe, and the rest of Asia. Believe it or not Mexico has been good to us. We also hold their purse strings! LOL! It's really the US' fault for letting countries take advantage of it, that's all. All we have to do is tell them to stop doing these things that hurt the US. That's not too much to ask. It is possible to have a good, symbiotic relationship with the US...kind of like...wait for it....Canada. LOL! Ok, ok! Kind of like Japan and Australia too. We can all get along if everyone plays fair right? :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rapid, and uneven, front tyre wear is possibly the result of overly soft front suspension. You need to check your compression and rebound. Dial in completely to full lock and then dial out both adjusting screws one full turn. Do the same with the rear shock preload by dialling in (clockwise) to full lock and then dial out maybe 8-10 clicks. That will also significantly help in the handling of your bike.

Please See attached...These pictures are from my owners manual is it me or does it sound like it is the opposite then what was suggested?

Bc2

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Please See attached...These pictures are from my owners manual is it me or does it sound like it is the opposite then what was suggested?

Bc2
I completely stand by what I said, despite what is written in the manual. Have set up suspension on a few Ninja 1000’s for my buddies and all have reported a distinct improvement in handling and confidence over bumpy roads especially in the twisties. There is no sacrifice in comfort either. The stock suspension setting on this bike is too soft, way too soft. Kawasaki seems to want to emphasise in the ‘tourer’ aspect of this ‘sport tourer’ bike. Try the settings I’ve suggested, you got nothing to lose and perhaps something to gain.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
601 Posts
Bikram, I feel the suspension setting on the N1k is firm and sporty for a 185 lbs rider. Not harsh, but definitely in the realm of sport bikes. I'm at that point where I prefer the suspension to move up and down more to absorb bumps especially in the twisties at a spirited pace. In fact, I turned down the damping on mine (1/4 turn from base setting) to let it do just that. I haven't experienced any wobbling or po-go effect at the rear at high speeds. My bike is completely stock.

I had a VFR800 with a complete aftermarket, custom suspension with full adjustments front & rear, spring rates suited to my weight and riding pace. That suspension was great at a much elevated pace, especially under hard braking. But slow the pace down a bit and it felt just a bit too stiff for me, especially on the rear rebound. Going from that to the stock N1k, I prefer the N1k for most riding. I just have to modulate my braking because the front fork damping on the N1k lets the bike dive too quickly, instead of a slow, progressive nose down on my custom suspended VFR under hard braking.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The factory tires on my '14 looked just like that at a similar mileage. I replaced them with Roadsmart 3's and those have now done about 4K miles with no visible profile change and have felt more secure than the stock skins since day one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I completely stand by what I said, despite what is written in the manual. Have set up suspension on a few Ninja 1000’s for my buddies and all have reported a distinct improvement in handling and confidence over bumpy roads especially in the twisties. There is no sacrifice in comfort either. The stock suspension setting on this bike is too soft, way too soft. Kawasaki seems to want to emphasise in the ‘tourer’ aspect of this ‘sport tourer’ bike. Try the settings I’ve suggested, you got nothing to lose and perhaps something to gain.

Will do...Thank you

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The factory tires on my '14 looked just like that at a similar mileage. I replaced them with Roadsmart 3's and those have now done about 4K miles with no visible profile change and have felt more secure than the stock skins since day one.

I have seen a lot of good reviews on the Roadsmart 3s. Thinking about purchasing them with the 190/55 Rear Tire via the internet. I have read that you should not purchase old stock tires (More than 5 years old.) How do you insure this via an internet purchase? It looks like I will attempt for the first time mounting them myself. I purchased the balancer/weights and have Kurveygirl 83 degree stems to mount and tire levers etc...

Bc2

1 - 20 of 54 Posts