Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
OP said exactly what I was going to say - that was fast.

Reactions: sprockethead

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just read a review in Motorcyclist where they compared the Suzuki with the N1K and FJ-09. Apparently the throttle response on the Suzuki is much worse than the N1K. Yikes, that must be a disaster.

·
Registered
40 Posts
But the reviews also stated the Suzuki has more top end than the Ninja? How much does that contribute to driving fun in every ones opinion?

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Ivans refash, on our 2011-2013 bikes made them even with the suzuki, at top end.

We had to add the full exhaust to get there, but lets just say my ninja has about the same top end as the suzuki.

Its fun, and I wont say it is'nt. Times I've been able to use it, without fear of getting a ticket? zero. Even in first gear.

For me, Id rather have more low to mid than a big top.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The suzi is beating the n1k in the rags. Basically that is a gsxr1000 engine that has a little bit more mid-range.

On paper the suzi is lighter, has more HP, and a better suspension.

We need to modify our bikes to get the base HP and weight of the Suzi. Which means that if you put similar modifications on the suzi.. it loses more weight and gains more HP.

IMO a buyer would have a difficult decision between the two bikes and it would come down to personal preference. If I were buying from scratch I tend to like the higher rpm bikes and more performance oriented (but not painful) setup and would go blue, a lot of forum members favor low end torque, QKR, and Kawi quality and would end up team green.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Interesting note on the suspension. That's actually one of the things they disliked about the Suzuki together with the throttle response.

The fact that they point out the throttle response on the Suzuki must mean it is pretty bad because I don't see it mentioned in reviews on the N1K and I'd say that's pretty pronounced as well; so glad for Ivan's flash!

For me personally smooth throttle response will take precedence over top end power any day. A lot more enjoyable to ride + smooth=fast. Nothing more annoying than a jerky power surge in the middle of turn!

All that said, the N1K is definitely not a rev happy bike but I'll get the Aprilia Tuono for that :D. What a motor that is!! Absolutely amazing!

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Go see a suzuki, in person.

All it is, and maybe this is not bad, but all it is is a gsxr 1000, with cheap components, and high bars. Even the lower section of the fairing is very similar.

So, why not save some money? A nice 2006 gsxr and a high bar set, Full power and 5000 cheaper.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was Suzuki's target audience last year. Sold my gsxr7 in June expecting the gsxs in june/july.

They didn't even have the bike during their demo rides tour.

Early august I bailed on them and went with the ninja, a bike Id been eyeing ever since it came out in 2011. And I am very happy I did. When my local dealer finally got a gsxs I checked it out and wasn't overly impressed. Will hopefully ride one next month on the demo tours though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was Suzuki's target audience last year. Sold my gsxr7 in June expecting the gsxs in june/july.

They didn't even have the bike during their demo rides tour.

Early august I bailed on them and went with the ninja, a bike Id been eyeing ever since it came out in 2011. And I am very happy I did. When my local dealer finally got a gsxs I checked it out and wasn't overly impressed. Will hopefully ride one next month on the demo tours though.
Same here - I bounced around on a FZ1 vs GSX1000 vs Ninja 1000.. I found the uki to be "Ugly" imo.. Also the lack of accessories pretty much made me shut the door..

Once I saw the OEM Bag kit for the ninja, it was game over.. Besides it being the best looking of the bunch..

·
Registered
709 Posts

Once I saw the OEM Bag kit for the ninja, it was game over.. Besides it being the best looking of the bunch..
So True. That sealed the deal for me. As I sat on the N1K in the dealership, the salesman told me about the factory hard side bags. While trying to keep my cool, in my head I said "Done!"

It's so much better when the manufacturer works out the solution for the bags,...and our N1K's are the prime example.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
A full on gsxr 1000 is an older design, but its a very cool motorcycle. Quality. Lots of aluminum.

That gsxs just tried too hard to be cheap. Anywhere that the design plans said, "titanium, aluminum, cast aluminum" the gsxs ended up with "stamped steel".

Suspension also took a massive hit. Seriously, they saves about 3000 in building it, but you cant really get it back to that high level.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Our bikes have two riding modes and ABS. Yes the Suzi is a great bike but with fewer features. I have the Ivan reflash and I would be willing to bet it could more than hold its own with a stock S1000. Plus I like having a full fairing bike vs. a naked.

For me, I think I made the right choice.

·
Registered
672 Posts
To me, the GSX S1000 is a confused idea. Its not a sport-tourer (no panniers option and the tiny pillion seat) and its clearly not a track bike (upright riding position). So what is it supposed to do? I had a clear choice three months ago when I was hunting for a litre-class in line 4 bike, a choice between the Suzi and the N1K. I put my money on the N1K for the above mentioned reasons. In addition, the Suzi's design puts me off (that is subjective, of course) and I don't appreciate a Renthal bar of the Suzi as opposed to clip-on bars on the N1K. Sure, the Suzi may have a better top end but that is of use only on the track and that is not where I ride. Sure it may be slightly more nimble on the twisties but I am entirely satisfied by the way my N1K tackles the bends. There will always be a bike which does one or two things better than your bike. But as a package, the N1K at the moment is trumps. I love the low and mid-range torque, I love the looks, I love the riding position and I'm happy with the ride quality (after some preload adjustment via the very handy adjuster).

It was a very easy decision for me.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I liked the Suzuki until I saw one.

The f bike is nothing more than cheapened gsxr with high bars. Even the fairing lowers appear identical.

Thats fine, but a used gsxr would be 5k, and a bar kit 500.00. Then Id keep the ti valves and upgraded suspension.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts