Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Just picked up my 2016 and have experienced a few weird instances of my clutch acting weird.

I know there have been 2014+ problems of clutch rattle, but let me try and explain what happens.

About 4-5 times on the ride home (2 hour ride)
While upshifting,
upon releasing the clutch after the upshift
All revs dropped, like the clutch was still disengaged. When this happened I immediately pulled in the clutch to prevent something ugly, and while clutch is pulled in, I heard rattling coming from the clutch, as if you could actually hear it spinning.

I'm wondering if it could be as simple as the shift pedal being WAY too high from the factory. Maybe I wasn't giving it a strong upshift... but then again, not sure why I would hear all of the rattling with the clutch pulled in, like the gears were sticking or something.

Anyway.. All downshifts were rock solid, and the bike is flawless beyond the weird instance.

My bro has a 2015 z1000 and I'll see if he can recreate since he's used to the setup after he rides mine.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I am one of the guys, and perhaps the "first' to actually install this new 2016 clutch in my 2012 bike, so I know it pretty well. Here is the clutch. Its shown in a yamaha, but we use the identical clutch. His 2015 wont use this clutch, his is old style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agTJDXsYIr0

So, you complete the shift, then let the lever out, and lose power? If you were on with the throttle, and the clutch was slipping, Id expect rpm to rise, not fall.

Tell me how to duplicate the same thing on my bike. Tell me which gear to shift to, and at what rpm, and we;ll see how mine does under the same circumstance.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sounds like you were somewhere in limbo in between gears. I had this happen on a very rare occasion on my other bike. Hard to replicate but if the upshift is weak enough, I had it happen were it felt like it wasn't engaging and then all of a sudden it grabbed the higher gear and went. Seems like it would be hard to do on a new gear box but maybe not impossible? If the shift lever is too high, I guess it could happen but I would also assume you would've hit neutral on a few occasions trying to upshift from 1st to 2nd.

The rattling may be normal. I can still hear mine when I pull in the clutch even though it is lubricated properly now. I can hear the clutch on my Daytona as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a weird problem to recreate, as it was random each time. Happened from 5-6, 3-4, pretty random each time. Rpm was under 6000 rpm each time per break in.

It definitely could have been in between gears due to shifter being too high. It "sounded" like the gearbox didn't know what gear it was in.

I'm going to lower the shifter and see if I have any more occurrences!

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I like lucianos answer. When you adjust that shift lever height, it only takes a 10mm wrench. Do keep in mind, one nut on that rod is backwards threaded. You'll notice a tiny line carved in it.

The shift lever has play in it, and will move quite a ways before doing anything. If its out of position, count on it being the issue.

The new clutch is a vast improvement,. Due to its design, it WILL close and lock up if power is applied, end of story. Its that good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lowered the shifter by a good margin, and haven't had the problem since!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I lowered the shifter by a good margin, and haven't had the problem since!
Great to hear! It's a very subjective thing; on every bike I've test ridden, the lever is actually too low and I could barely get my toe under it. Of course, I always wear race boots which have a beefier toe box than regular shoes/boots.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to say I just had exactly what was described on my new 2016. I just lowered the shift lever and all is well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts