Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new here. 250 miles so far on 15' N1. Good lord it's torture keeping it under 6K RPM! So I'm noticing on shifting up, when in 2nd to go into 3rd, I have to completely take off pressure from shifter with foot to engage into 3rd. It happens I'd guess 1 in 4 attempts.

My buddy says it's b/c it's new and needs to wear in.

Anyone else experienced this?

Will it all of a sudden fix itself with 'break-in'?

Is this something Kawi will replace under warranty?

I want to get the slipper clutch installed that the 16' model has. Does anyone know what the part/parts are, and cost of part/parts to put slipper assist in my 15'?

Thank you for input! LOVE THE BIKE. Coming from 14' Yama Super Tenere and KLR650. Wanted something faster of course. Test drove a zx14r, and it scared the **** out of me / could only get throttle 30% open before letting off. And I've been riding for over 5 years. So decided on the N1 and it's perfect. Would like to see Yama FZ1 come out with Traction control and ABS, but so far still in Butterfly Love with my N1.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
mine has a slight glitch shifting from second to third also.i plan to switch to full synthetic oil soon and to see if that smooths it out a bit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I went with a synth blend, and it solved the chatter & shifting issue I had (which was VERY VERY minor)

Reactions: Cazes7

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Also look into the clutch issues discussed at length here. May not be the cause but there is definitely a chance.

After drilling the clutch basket on my '14, shifts are flawless.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Really hard to say without seeing / riding the bike / watching you ride the bike....

That said I think there is a good clue in the description. I know this will sound odd, but I think you may have the shifter adjusted too far down. It is completely normal to have to return the shifter to it's neutral (resting) position between shifts. If you don't then the actual little claw that turns the shift drum does not have a chance to reset.

I see poor clutch lever position and play adjustments, as well as poor shifter adjustments cause people a lot of problems.

The slipper clutch is need if you are having problems with the rear tire locking up, or more likely on this bike, hopping and chattering on downshifts while decelling.

I don't believe it would help the current problem you are having. On a newer bike like yours with a good clutch the slipper is about a $400 mod. The clutch pull is MUCH lighter, it works great drag racing (some slippers don't) and it makes agressive braking/corner entry much easier.

There is no real "Break-in" to be honest. It is done for the rider, not the motorcycle. That bike saw redline before it left the factory I promise you. Some metal things will "mate" with each other for sure, but that will happen no matter how you ride it. So long as it is fully warmed up and the oil if flowing then you can ride it how every you want it really won't matter.

Best of luck with your new bike Boss :)

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Yep, having to remove pressure completely in between shifts it totally normal. With this type of transmission, you'll also want to complete the shifts with authority. In other words, hit the shifter hard and fast.

Like themanracing mentioned, there is some minor mating of the parts during break-in, but I doubt you'll notice a big difference in the transmission. On my 650, the transmission went from somewhat notchy, to a bit smoother, and the engine noticeably smoothed out after about 3K miles. Other than that, no difference. All my other bought-new bikes were the same. Small differences, but nothing drastic. Just don't go revving the piss out of it in neutral, and it'll be fine. Just ride it and enjoy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still having the issue after clutch adjustment.

Going from 2nd to 3rd, nothing is happening. I have to completely let off shifter with foot, up again, off and up again to go into 3rd

So I noticed today looking down at my foot, I'm riding with my feet further back on pedal, where my boot isn't 'under' the shifter, it's behind it. So when I'm shifting, the pressure isn't directly up on the shifter, it's pushing from backside angle (putting sideways pressure on shifter/ like sideways towards front and up at same time)

So again, a direct up coming from under works fine. Its when just the front of my boot is pushing forward and trying to go up that this happens. But it's only from 2nd to 3rd.

I'm putting on peg lowering kit. This may help lower my foot so I ride with top of boot in position to more easily come up from directly under.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: peg lowering kit put my foot more under shifter... problem solved.

I will be changing parts in clutch to convert to slipper though to have lighter level pull and no skipping around downshifting around corners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts