Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 15' N1. Have 250 miles on it so far.

Back brakes feel like they work like 20%. Have to push them really hard.
Yes, I understand that on a bike that front braking is primary. But the back brakes don't feel up to par with previous rides. Also, the front brakes feel like a black and white transition to pressure, not alot of feel inbetween. Could this be that since it's new, I need further bedding of brakes?

I ordered galfer steel braided line kit. Hoping this helps give me more feedback /better feel.

Have you guys replaced pads / master cylinders to improve your brakes?

I wish they had a special edition of this bike with brembos like the zx14r.....

Thanks for input!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm. I somehow posted this twice, and can't figure out how to delete. Please just post to this one / ignore the 2nd.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Interesting... first time I've heard of a problem with brakes right out of the box with one of the '14 through '16 models.

On my '12 (I now have a '14) the stock pads were rated low friction... I'm pretty sure Kawi puts these pads on to prevent newbies from low siding. I upgraded to some Galfer pads that had more bite.

Still, I found the brakes to be much better on my '14 than on my '12, but if you came from a ride with Moto GP level brakes you are probably noticing the difference.

Also, somebody who knows more about ABS may be able to help here. Did your last ride have ABS? It would be difficult to skid the rear on the Ninja because of ABS, and that may be what you are feeling.

Reactions: Cazes7

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My last bike was a 14' Yamaha Super Tenere. The brakes spoiled me because they were linked (front lever applied pressure to front and back at same time).

Wish there was a simple upgrade to link brakes!

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
I recently switched to this specific pad. The Vesrah VD434JL. Heres the best price I found. Ignore the bike fitment, its the pad we need.

Vesrah VD 434JL Sintered Brake Pads Rear for Kawasaki ZX600R Ninja ZX 6R 09 12 | eBay

Before performance might rate an "awful" D- quality. Cant fail it since it sort-of works.

This pad brings it up to at least a c+, perhaps a B-. I have feel at 20% applied, and can judge the difference between 20 and 80%.

I did some other things, as the long thread discusses, but avoid a mess and start here. With this pad, and the return spring removed, its avast improvement.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Any sintered pad will be upgrade over stock pads. On my 650, the front brakes always felt a bit weak, with poor feel(like blocks of wood clamping on the rotor). I threw on some EBC HH sintered pads, and once they were bedded in, the difference was night and day! They were far more aggressive, way more initial bite, and had far better feel. All my bikes going forward will get sintered pads. I may not pay for EBC again though, as there's plenty of other brands to chose from, that use the same materials, for less cash.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My last bike was a 14' Yamaha Super Tenere. The brakes spoiled me because they were linked (front lever applied pressure to front and back at same time).

Wish there was a simple upgrade to link brakes!
After three bikes with linked brakes,my opinion is that it should be an option on all bikes. I know some are wary not being able to 'trail' the rear but if it was switchable like ABS is on some bikes ,it could be winner.
One of the best brakes in my view was on a 'brick' KGT, servo and linked
,a perfect combination; until they had to be serviced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts