Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 15' N1. Have 250 miles on it so far.

Back brakes feel like they work like 20%. Have to push them really hard.
Yes, I understand that on a bike that front braking is primary. But the back brakes don't feel up to par with previous rides. Also, the front brakes feel like a black and white transition to pressure, not alot of feel inbetween. Could this be that since it's new, I need further bedding of brakes?

I ordered galfer steel braided line kit. Hoping this helps give me more feedback /better feel.

Have you guys replaced pads / master cylinders to improve your brakes?

I wish they had a special edition of this bike with brembos like the zx14r.....

Thanks for input!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the Gafner Steel braided lines on my N1.

Not much noticeable difference. Hmm

All lines bleed and flushed properly.

Something to do with ABS?

On the KLR is had, changing the lines was night and day.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Got the Gafner Steel braided lines on my N1.

Not much noticeable difference. Hmm

All lines bleed and flushed properly.

Something to do with ABS?

On the KLR is had, changing the lines was night and day.
Put some Motul RBF 600 or 660 in there, and you will feel a real difference.
I also didn't notice a lot of difference at first when going for steel braided lines (Hel), well I did notice some, but not what I expected.
That changed when I put some proper brake oil in it.

The difference will only be noticeable that you don't get spongy brakes after a while, that's it. (with mine).

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm not sure if steel braided lines make a significant difference on a bike with ABS. I had them on my previous bike, the N650 without ABS and they made a huge difference (HEL lines). I also had EBC EPFA brake pads, sexy. The HEL Lines plus the EPFA pads transformed the N650's braking system for feel as well as stopping power.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
A master cylinder upgrade is a big deal.

I know man racing likes his rcs19. I used a take off master from a Ducati 1198.

Still, try the vesrah pads first. Like Bike rider (Bikram) said, lines might also help, but the set for the abs bike is pretty expensive. Also, you won't feel the lines much at all if you don't use good pads.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you want better feel from the back brakes on this bike, take the return spring off of the brake pedal. It is stupid stiff, kills feel, and makes it had to lock the rear wheel on non-abs bikes.

The M/C is fine, remove return spring, then if you still don't like it...new line, better pads, and the afoermentioned RBF600.

It the return spring that is screwing it up for you Boss. Try it and see.

there is a spring inside the Master cylinder, so taking off the return spring is not dangerous. Plus it is very easy and cheap to fashion your own return spring that is much less stiff.

Without the spring it is much more linear and requires much less effort.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
Wow. I saw front brakes......sorry for being an idiot.

Agree with whats said. I still recommend the vesrah pads. They are the first rear pad I used that offered feel. Everything else was on/off.

That stock return spring is bad, too, like manracing said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts