Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about all saved up(including birthday present from the wife) for my factory blue Givi bags and want to know where seems to be the best place to purchase from? My dealer Quoted me 1050 installed for the bags. I don't think at the time i asked about me installing myself, so maybe i can get a few $ off. i will need them to key the bags for me. What are you guys paying, and where are you getting them from???

Can you get unpainted bags somewhere?

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you have a 2014, you don't want to get the Givi bags.
You want to get the OEM Kawasaki bags!
They fit a lot closer, tighter to the bike, the mounting brackets are integrated with the grab rails. no ugly mounting brackets.
I think the pricing are about the same...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the OEM Kawi bags were made by Givi? Either way, we're talking about the same bags, I might have just called them by the wrong name. Still, I'm trying to find the best deal!

·
Registered
206 Posts
2013 and down used Givi bags, 2014+ use Kawasaki specific bags.

These are the Givi bags that were used on older models

and these are the new Kawasaki bags used on the 2014 and up:

Much nicer, cleaner lines, don't stick out as far, slightly smaller capacity

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not know that the new bags weren't made by givi. That's my mistake. I do know all about the new bag integration, one of the main reasons I passed on some of the good deals around here on 13 leftovers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did not know that the new bags weren't made by givi. That's my mistake. I do know all about the new bag integration, one of the main reasons I passed on some of the good deals around here on 13 leftovers.
They are made by GIVI, but it's OEM. When people are saying "you don't want the GIVI's" they are referring to what was/is available retail (from GIVI) for 2013 and earlier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes the 2014 kqr bags are made by givi for Kawasaki. They are also on backorder currently with no hard ETA. As I understand it they go from the givi factory in Italy to Kawasaki in Japan, across the ocean by boat to Kawasaki USA and then finally to me in Canada, and as of now the supply issues is all the way at the source in Italy so it's going to be a while :(

I ordered mine with my bike a month ago.. Still waiting..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes the 2014 kqr bags are made by givi for Kawasaki. They are also on backorder currently with no hard ETA. As I understand it they go from the givi factory in Italy to Kawasaki in Japan, across the ocean by boat to Kawasaki USA and then finally to me in Canada, and as of now the supply issues is all the way at the source in Italy so it's going to be a while :(

Im at 6 weeks. All the hardware is in, bags on back order. I called Kawasaki and they said at least 4 more weeks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The bags are keyed from the dealer, tumblers need to be reset to match ignition key. I'm sure a locksmith could do it if you decide to install yourself but its part of the dealer install. My bags where on the bike and discounted by the the dealer to $1000.00 over the price of the bike. I believe they list in the range of $1299.00 I don't think 1050.00 is a bad deal.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Did your hard bags come in yet? My dealer called Kawi and they said end of this month. What are you hearing? Are you installing or having the dealer do it? Mine was part of the deal when I bought it but I really don't want them touching my bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first post, as i just joined, and am waiting for my new bike. I just received a quote for a blue 2014 n1k with bags for 10499 OTD. i feel pretty good about the price, but i do have to travel about 250 miles for it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Got the bike back today with the bags on. Dealership did a fantastic job on the install. These things are integrated nicely. Easy on easy off. Secure. Can't wait for a longer ride over a weekend.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally picked up my bags yesterday, got the complete set for $940 otd. Was gonna have my dealer key them so I could install them. When they told me what it would roughly cost(1.5 hrs,$150) I said never mind. So I thought I might have a lock smith do it until I figured out how easy it was to do! If I had any idea it was that easy to do, I never would've even considered having a dealer do it. Took me about 20 mins total for both locks. Takes 10 seconds to drop the cylinders in the bags. Just thought you guys would like to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up my 14 model with OEM panniers (bags) and noticed the weight restriction sticker inside indicating no more than 5kg to be loaded.
Has anyone had issues with overloading and or damaging the pannier??

·
Registered
103 Posts
I actually broke one of the top hooks, but it was from being stupid while putting it on the bike, not overloading.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Finally picked up my bags yesterday, got the complete set for $940 otd. Was gonna have my dealer key them so I could install them. When they told me what it would roughly cost(1.5 hrs,$150) I said never mind. So I thought I might have a lock smith do it until I figured out how easy it was to do! If I had any idea it was that easy to do, I never would've even considered having a dealer do it. Took me about 20 mins total for both locks. Takes 10 seconds to drop the cylinders in the bags. Just thought you guys would like to know.
Gawd I wish I would have read this first. I paid $1399. to get the bags and locks done. The parts guy ordered a top case and tried to say I wanted that to but I pointed out in front of his boss that everyone knows the top case doesn't work with the bags. Then they tried to have me pay a restocking fee. So after much bitching I paid the $1399. and told them I would not be back. I hate dealers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"When they told me what it would roughly cost(1.5 hrs,$150) I said never mind"
The cost of re-keying is supposed to be included in the price of the bags!
They sell the bags with an empty lock system, they are sold this way so the DEALER can arrange to have them keyed to match your bike. You got ripped off by your dealer.
My dealer keyed mine as soon as they came in...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have my lock cylinder sets sitting here right now. Could you go through the steps in keying these or is there a YouTube video showing how to do it? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts