Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome. I purchased a new to me 2014 Ninja 1000 ABS this past week. The bike was as new with only 860 miles. It has the factory bags and a Puig windscreen. I paid $7K at Hopper’s Motorsports in McKinney Texas. I traded in my 2014 Honda VFR800 Deluxe for what was essentially an even trade. You can check that bike out at Hopper’s website. I bought the VFR new back in December for $8200 OTD and put about 4900 miles on it. It was (and is) a great bike. Very refined and quality through and through in typical Honda fashion. My only problem with it was that it just didn’t fit me. I’m 5’7” with short arms and even with a set of 1” risers I was still bending over too far, resulting in shoulder cramps. Also, the legroom was very cramped even though my legs are about as short as my arms. I basically look like a small troll with T-Rex arms and a big gut. I am however very handsome. Anyway, the viffer just didn’t fit me. So, I took a chance that the Ninja would be a better fit and it is on every count much better. The reach to the bars is just about right and it has much more legroom. The ride home (350 miles) was much easier than the trip down on the viffer. The only issue was that my rear end was very sore upon arrival. I think the VFR’s seat is a little better but to be fair to the Ninja, I had already done 350 miles on the Honda that morning. The things I really like about the Ninja (besides the fit) are the power (it puts the VFR to shame), the electronics package and the adjustable windscreen. There are a couple of things I do miss on the VFR with self-canceling turn signals at the top of the list. For several years I was a Harley guy (still love em) and I really got used to that feature. Also, I miss (though not as much) the heated grips. I really didn’t use them that much even during the winter months. I usually just hopped on, rode off and forgot I had them until I got where was going. Also, the headlight on the VFR was very good and the gas mileage was better with the V-Tech system. Overall though, I am very happy with the Ninja and have zero regrets on the trade. I’m going over to the Barber Motorsports Vintage Festival in October and I can’t wait to take the Ninja! My plans for future improvements include some Murph’s risers (though maybe not now that I’ve got the bike?) and some type of improvement to the seat. I’d love to get a Sargent but I think it may make the bike too tall for me. It’s close but manageable now and I don’t want to mess with the suspension. Any input on ways to lower the seat would be greatly appreciated. Hope this helps for anyone considering these 2 bikes.
Blessings!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like this thread because these two bikes were the decision i was struggling with

Reactions: adm2204

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I love the looks of the vfr. It's a timeless design and still reminds me of the 83 vfr. Back then, I could not even afford to look at one, much less buy one.

I had a chance to own a very nice, used 86vfr. I could have bought it for 1800.00. It was in perfect shape, too.

It's to bad Honda did not make the engine 1000cc, and drop the vtec. Had they don't both, that's what I'd own, today. Well, as long as ivan had a flash for it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's to bad Honda did not make the engine 1000cc,
This is one of the reasons I decided to go with the N1K....
Honda said that it used to be a 1200? 1300? and maybe a 1000?
I forget what he told me, but he said when they were bigger engines, they didn't sell as many, so they dropped it back to the 800....smh

The dealer had a VFR1300 I believe...used....in decent shape...low miles....but it was an automatic....and it was HEAVY as all hell....

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
That auto bike is heavy, and it's way more concours 14 like than our ninjas.

I hate the idea of an auto transmission. I hate that bike, however...if you ever ride one, the bike is briliant. It's like a 150hp scooter. You have to test ride it if you ever get the chance.

I wanted something in the ninja class, and it's not, but a great bike, no matter the comparison, but I'd love to have that auto pos in my garage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had an African Twin recently and the auto box was fantastic, around the city I'd use the auto and on the open roads switch to manual. But like the VFR it was a big heavy bike. If Honda ever do a decent 1k with the auto option I'd put my money down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just traded my 2002 VF800Fi for a 2016 N1K and, like you, love the Ninja. The riding position is something to get used to, but it is substantially more comfortable and powerful than the Viffer. The first thing I did was to get rid of the stock cans for some Delkevics (preventing me from using the side boxes). They're cool. I'm throwing Oxford Hot Grips on it on the weekend, and a tail tidy (the shovel that comes standard is an eyesore). I also got a Givi tank bag with the petrol cap ring. That is excellent compared to the bra and bag I had on the VFR.
I've already noticed that it's a demon on petrol compared to the V4, but the power is so worth it. What swayed me in the end was the power and engine differences between the VFR and N1K in the same year models... for the same weight! There's an Aussie (like me) on youtube that's got mirrors on the bar ends. They'd probably look better, but would likely prevent me lane-splitting as easily as I do now.
Good post, @ninjarev. It's good to see other people making a similar decision.

Reactions: mil098

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks dskf! Yes the N1K is definitely more thirsty than the viffer! I got right at 50 mpg going down to trade it in and so far about 36 average on the Ninja. But as you said, it's worth it to have that motor!
Also, thanks for the link spectreman.
Blessings

·
Registered
586 Posts
Going from the VFR to the Ninja 1000 seems to be a natural progressing for those of us who love middleweight sport touring bikes.

I had a 2003 VFR 800 and held on to it for almost 50,000 miles, waiting for Honda, or someone else to come up with a similar machine but with a bit more comfort and power without going too big or heavy. Bought my first Ninja 1000 in 2011, totaled her on a wet road, ( completely my fault ) and now have a 2013 which fits my needs perfectly.

Reactions: robertv19

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just traded my 2014 Yamaha FZ09 for a 2017 Ninja 1000, and I still have my 2012 Honda VFR 1200f, its the manual bike. I love the Ninja, its so much better than the FZ09, which I had redone suspension and a flash on. I am doing the suspension next week on the Ninja, after riding with Race Tech suspension on the FZ09, I have to do it on the Ninja, it's horrible to me stock. The Ninja will also get the ECU flash done, since I am the first one to ask for a flash on a 2017 Ninja 1000, I will get it done free. I still love my VFR 1200, it's is faster than the Ninja 1000 but it does have a Power commander and iridium plugs. I like the VFR better on the long road trips, in the wind I love the 600 lbs, it just glides right through. The VFR is best in long swoopy canyons, the long wheel base is not good in tighter canyons. That was why I had gotten a second bike with a shorter wheel base for canyon and track. Now I feel like I have it right with the VFR and the Ninja, I have it all covered.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just traded my 2014 Yamaha FZ09 for a 2017 Ninja 1000, and I still have my 2012 Honda VFR 1200f, its the manual bike. I love the Ninja, its so much better than the FZ09, which I had redone suspension and a flash on. I am doing the suspension next week on the Ninja, after riding with Race Tech suspension on the FZ09, I have to do it on the Ninja, it's horrible to me stock. The Ninja will also get the ECU flash done, since I am the first one to ask for a flash on a 2017 Ninja 1000, I will get it done free. I still love my VFR 1200, it's is faster than the Ninja 1000 but it does have a Power commander and iridium plugs. I like the VFR better on the long road trips, in the wind I love the 600 lbs, it just glides right through. The VFR is best in long swoopy canyons, the long wheel base is not good in tighter canyons. That was why I had gotten a second bike with a shorter wheel base for canyon and track. Now I feel like I have it right with the VFR and the Ninja, I have it all covered.
I feel like we should start a pool for how long the "other" bikes last once a N1K is in the garage. I have "a more comfortable bike" and I am starting to think if I have time to ride I would rather be on the ninja regardless of circumstances, I could ride my N1K all day for many days it is so nice. So much so I am contemplating getting bags on mine and just selling the touring bike. It would be interesting to get your thoughts in a month or so on the overlap between the VFR/N1K.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Cafox, welcome. Good suspension is a blessing and a curse at the same time, isn't IT? Awesome to use, but you become unwilling to do without at the same time.

Scuga, agree with you......my bigger, more comfortable bike stayed just because it was not worth much. That finally paid off, last week, when Ivan introduced a flash for it....but, before that, it was just a money thing. +5000 if I were to sell it, -15,000 if I ever chose to replace it...so, it stayed around.

Still, if forced to keep just one, it would take about 3 seconds to decide. The ninja will do a reasonable job of imitating the bigger bike as well as being more fun around town.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel like we should start a pool for how long the "other" bikes last once a N1K is in the garage. I have "a more comfortable bike" and I am starting to think if I have time to ride I would rather be on the ninja regardless of circumstances, I could ride my N1K all day for many days it is so nice. So much so I am contemplating getting bags on mine and just selling the touring bike. It would be interesting to get your thoughts in a month or so on the overlap between the VFR/N1K.
I would cry if I had to sell one of my bikes, I love them both for different reasons. I got the Ninja for tighter canyons and to go the track. The VFR is definitely the smoothest out of the two. I still have not had the chance to ride the Ninja in high winds. I have ridden the VFR many times in the wind and it doesn't bother me. The FZ09 which I sold to get the Ninja, was a 400lbs bike and I hated being on it in high winds. I know the Ninja is Just over 500lbs, I hope it doesn't bother me to ride it when it gets windy. For long trips I would still rather be on VFR, at high speeds it floats through the air like a luxury car. I ride a lot so having these two bikes in my garage is what I need so I can ride year around. There have been times where one bike was in the shop for a week or to getting custom work done or getting something fixed, so I just ride the other bike. I have a lot of friends that envy me having two bikes when they have a bike that is in the shop.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I just traded my 2002 VF800Fi for a 2016 N1K and, like you, love the Ninja. The riding position is something to get used to, but it is substantially more comfortable and powerful than the Viffer. The first thing I did was to get rid of the stock cans for some Delkevics (preventing me from using the side boxes). <snipped>
Hey DSKF
I've been contemplating a set of Delkovic slip-ons for my 2017.
On their website, they have photos of the N1K with their slip-ons AND the Kawi OEM bags.
Are they misleading us or was there something particular about your setup that prevents the bags from fitting with your pipe?
Cheers,
Rob

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Going from the VFR to the Ninja 1000 seems to be a natural progressing for those of us who love middleweight sport touring bikes.

I had a 2003 VFR 800 and held on to it for almost 50,000 miles, waiting for Honda, or someone else to come up with a similar machine but with a bit more comfort and power without going too big or heavy. Bought my first Ninja 1000 in 2011, totaled her on a wet road, ( completely my fault ) and now have a 2013 which fits my needs perfectly.
I also had a 2003 VFR - silver with Staintune pipes. Bike sounded awesome, but as you say - lacked that little bit extra power. It was right after I picked up a ZX-9R that I tasted a bit of that Ninja power and I was, well - hooked.
The Viffer just sat in the garage, so I sold it and it's been Kawis ever since.:smile_big:

I have to admit, the only other bike that has grabbed my attention over the last few years is the Yamaha FJ-09 (now Tracer). I've ridden one and that triple engine is so torquey and fun. Just not sure how long I would be entertained by it...

Rob

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The Ninja will also get the ECU flash done, since I am the first one to ask for a flash on a 2017 Ninja 1000, I will get it done free.
Curious about the above comment as I also have a 2017 and have read various things about Ivan doing/not doing a flash for the 2017+ N1K. Would love to get any definitive info on this.

Are you referring to Ivan or someone else?

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Curious about the above comment as I also have a 2017 and have read various things about Ivan doing/not doing a flash for the 2017+ N1K. Would love to get any definitive info on this.

Are you referring to Ivan or someone else?

Cheers,

Rob
No I am not referring him, at the time I talked to him, he wasn't doing 2017 bikes. I am still waiting for someone to give there bike to be the first one to have there ECU opened.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wow I never saw this thread. my 2 cents is free :)

I went to buy an 87 VFR700 in Cobalt blue in '87. The deal didnt work so I ended up with a 600 Hurricane. The old 86 Red/white/blue VFR750 is still my all time favorite looking bike.. I am still fond of them but they nothing like the VFR interceptors from the late 80's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts