Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Having the windscreen and more comfortable suspension is the attraction to the Ninja.

The sportier suspension and naked design of the Z1000- I probably will pass on.
yea from all the ride reports I've read the Z1000 really punches you in the chest with wind resistance when you get to pushing it. the Ninja 1000 is smooth as silk all the way through the power band...

·
Registered
210 Posts
being pushed by wind like that on the Z1000 can take a toll on you, seems like the Ninja 1000 is the better long-distance bike here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yea from all the ride reports I've read the Z1000 really punches you in the chest with wind resistance when you get to pushing it. the Ninja 1000 is smooth as silk all the way through the power band...
you could always get a windscreen for it. But if thats the case you might as well just get the Ninja instead.

At least it looks good with a good sized windscreen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
you could always get a windscreen for it. But if thats the case you might as well just get the Ninja instead.

At least it looks good with a good sized windscreen.
A windscreen would help to some point, also some big windscreens look horrible, so you'll have to sacrifice looks in the process.

·
Registered
166 Posts
shouldnt they be pretty similar? they have different power delivery modes.

similar engine. only difference is gearing?

·
Registered
206 Posts
gearing, and suspension.
I'm still not sold on the preload on one fork and damping on the other.
I'm thinking of doing a complete front end swap from a ZX10R to my Ninja1000.
I ride hard, and feel I need the best I can get for suspension.]
I got the N1K for the hard bags, and relaxed riding position. I didn't realize until too late, that it was not a real sportbike.
my fault, but not too late to upgrade and make it competitive with real sportbikes.

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
I dont care much for the z styling.....but thats just me.

Its an easy choice between the two.

Stock suspension, even the ohlins you'll see on limited bikes, is compromised due to nto knowing an ideal weight or condition. If you want the "best", you'll need to fix any of them.

Having traction control and wind protection is a deal maker. Having no wind protection on a 150 mph motorcycle..........really?

·
Registered
32 Posts
gearing, and suspension.
I'm still not sold on the preload on one fork and damping on the other.
I'm thinking of doing a complete front end swap from a ZX10R to my Ninja1000.
I ride hard, and feel I need the best I can get for suspension.]
I got the N1K for the hard bags, and relaxed riding position. I didn't realize until too late, that it was not a real sportbike.
my fault, but not too late to upgrade and make it competitive with real sportbikes.
I was surprised to find there was no compression damping on the rear, but it seems to work well enough. I have no problems with the front end once dialled-in. I ride pretty hard too, although I am lucky that the roads are good where I live.

I have a friend who bought a Suzuki Bandit 1200 , spent a fortune on putting Ohlins suspension, rearsets etc. etc. It was still a road bike, not a sports bike after all that, and in the end he bought a GSXR-1000 track bike anyway, it was total waste of time, it was an expensive way to get firmer suspension.

Good luck, but cornering clearance and power will still be an issue. I would just by a sports bike if that's what you're after.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sport Touring

This machine is a sporty touring vehicle with a super engine. Its not a super sport, but man is it fun to ride........

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
The single leg suspension.separate function is the future. Finally available once fork assemblies, axles, and wheels became stiff enough to do this. Yes, in stock form set-up sucks, but thats because set up sucks, not a bad concept.

It works great. No two dampers are ever equal, 100%. Soon we'll see one spring, or no spring (air). Its cheaper to buy one big spring, than two, and lighter.

If you get good suspension...valved and sprung for your weight, its not especially "firm"..its not soft, either. Its correct, and very comfortable. The Ninja really responds to it. To switch to zx10 forks will rate as a big whatever. You might get stiffer springs ($95.00) and more track focused set-up. This woudl be awesome for a track bike, but will probably be more compromised than what you started with.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts