Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Took a 2014 Ninja 1000 out for a test ride last weekend and was very impressed. At least to me it seems like it's a centerstand away from being just about ideal for my needs. For the riders that own and have lived with the bike, what's your overall satisfaction level with it? Any regrets or lingering issues?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2013 (non-ABS), which I have just under 1k miles on it. However when I was getting my 1st oil change after the break-in miles, the dealership gave me a 2014 to run some errands while my bike was being taken care of. I rode it for about 75 miles (lots of errands, lol), city and highway. And I can give my opinion of the 2011-13 vs. 2014.

Pros
-ABS standard
-Traction Control and power-modes standard (depending on your riding and skill level, these could be put into question as whether or not they are necessary)
-Better shaped seat, not so much more padding or better padding, just a slightly better design
-Better mirrors
-Stronger brakes
-Better looking mufflers (no real difference in sound though)

Cons
-Lazy and heavier steering at low speeds
-Heavier and less forgiving clutch lever, no where near as buttery smooth from a stop as my 2013
-on/off throttle response a bit more jarring
-brake lever feel, seems very dull until almost all the way compressed, then a bit of overkill on stopping power

I truly love my 2013 Ninja 1k, after riding the 2014 for about 75 miles, I'm happier that I went with the 2013, but that's just me. I had a 2012 ZX10R and that bike needed the TC and selectable power modes. I ride pretty hard at times and do trackdays, so it definitely help save my butt a time or two.

Later,

Jay

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've only had my '14 for a couple months but my biggest, and only real, complaint is the seat. It simply is awful to me. I have had to spend 4 bills getting it fixed. It's in the mail now. I'll report on it when I can.

Reactions: Greenmachine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to those that have responded!

I haven't been able to ride a 2013, but on the 2014 I rode I didn't notice the slow handling issue or any problems with the on/off throttle response. Maybe I was just lucky, but compared to my SV650 the power was smooth and linear and the Ninja also seemed better balanced. Since I'm planning on getting the color matched saddlebags I think the 2014 might be a better option.

Since there's only been 2 posts I'm thinking everyone is either too busy riding their Ninja's or they're very happy and there's not really a lot of bad news to report.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I'm in the same boat.
I'm coming from a ZX14 and will be test riding a 2013 ABS model and have the opportunity to test ride a 2014.
Once I do I will post up a ride report.
I'm worried that I'll miss the riding position of the 14.
Before the 14 I rode a VFR, so I'm curious to see if the riding position on the N1K is similar to the Honda. More upright than that and I may not like it.

Cheers,

Rob
Cambridge, ON

·
Registered
444 Posts
Purchased a '14 as my Florida bike & have about 2.5K on it. I look at it the same way as a painter looks at a blank canvas. Great starting spot & only held back by your imagination of the final vision.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm in the same boat.
I'm coming from a ZX14 and will be test riding a 2013 ABS model and have the opportunity to test ride a 2014.
Once I do I will post up a ride report.
I'm worried that I'll miss the riding position of the 14.
Before the 14 I rode a VFR, so I'm curious to see if the riding position on the N1K is similar to the Honda. More upright than that and I may not like it.

Cheers,

Rob
Cambridge, ON
Even with the GenMar or Helibars on my 2000 VFR, the N1K is much more upright than the VFR.

Come to think of it ... the N1K's upper body ergo's are closer to my FJR than the VFR, and the lower body ergo's are more like the VFR.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also have Genmars on my 1999 VFR. The N1K is a bit more upright (for the torso), while the pegs seem slightly higher.
The Motorcycle Egronomics site is fun to play with, and seems to be fairly accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've only had my '14 a few weeks.

The front end does have a heavier feel. So much so when I jumped back on a Ninja 650 for a quick ride I almost over-steered at first.

The clutch lever does take a bit of muscle, but it engages pretty quickly for me.

I have not had any problems with the brakes. Their pretty smooth, and so is the throttle/acceleration for me.

The seat can be a bit tough on longer rides, and I have a tendency to slide forward.

Overall, I love the bike.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Rob,

You should try this website, it lets you compare the ergos of just about every motorcycle and you can set it up to your personal dimensions.

Motorcycle Ergonomics
Thanks Ivabign.
Wow, the N1K is way upright.
17 degrees vs. 28 on the Viffer and a whopping 41 degrees on the ZX14!
I sat on a 2014 N1K at the bike show in January, but it don't recall it being so upright.
I was reading somewhere about a replacement clip-on that would allow for lowering the bars somewhat. It might have been on riderforums...

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks that have responded!

I haven't been able to ride a 2013, but on the 2014 I rode I didn't notice the slow handling issue or any problems with the on/off throttle response. Maybe I was just lucky, but compared to my SV650 the power was smooth and linear and the Ninja also seemed better balanced. Since I'm planning on getting the color matched saddlebags I think the 2014 might be a better option.

Since there's only been 2 posts I'm thinking everyone is either too busy riding their Ninja's or they're very happy and there's not really a lot of bad news to report.
Neither bike has a handling problem. I just find the 11-13 has quicker/smoother slow speed handling by comparison.

Also you can get color matching bags for all years of the Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jay, what did Kawasaki change in the 2014 model that would have caused the slow speed handling difference? Geometry, tires, etc;? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
To my knowledge they didn't change much as far as geometry, suspension and tires. I'm under the impression that that all carried over for the 2014. So I don't know why, but there was a definite difference in feel in the steering at speeds less than 25 mph. It Could be as simple as the front end being over tightened making turning the front tire harder and thus slower.

Most of the changes were elsewhere; brake calipers, ecu/tc/abs, rear subframe, etc. To my knowledge the engine, transmission, suspension, tires were not changed. The rack and wheelbase may have changed slightly, but I don't know for sure.

No matter what year you get I'm sure you will love it. One of the 1st and best things I did was changed the tires. One I hate the Bridgestone BT016'S with a passion and two I personally prefer a taller rear tire of it can be fitted. 190/55-17 is far better than a 190/50-17 IMHO. Handling, comfort, and tire choice all are increased when you swap to the 55 series tire. Raising the front forks aka lowering the triple tree also helps the turn in and feel.

I'll do some looking around to see if there are any noteworthy changes that would have caused the difference in slow speed turning.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
To my knowledge they didn't change much as far as geometry, suspension and tires. I'm under the impression that that all carried over for the 2014. So I don't know why, but there was a definite difference in feel in the steering at speeds less than 25 mph. It Could be as simple as the front end being over tightened making turning the front tire harder and thus slower.

Most of the changes were elsewhere; brake calipers, ecu/tc/abs, rear subframe, etc. To my knowledge the engine, transmission, suspension, tires were not changed. The rack and wheelbase may have changed slightly, but I don't know for sure.

No matter what year you get I'm sure you will love it. One of the 1st and best things I did was changed the tires. One I hate the Bridgestone BT016'S with a passion and two I personally prefer a taller rear tire of it can be fitted. 190/55-17 is far better than a 190/50-17 IMHO. Handling, comfort, and tire choice all are increased when you swap to the 55 series tire. Raising the front forks aka lowering the triple tree also helps the turn in and feel.

I'll do some looking around to see if there are any noteworthy changes that would have caused the difference in slow speed turning.
Jay,
Was the 2014 you rode a demonstrator?
Maybe the tire pressure was low. It could be something as simple as that.
Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jay,
Was the 2014 you rode a demonstrator?
Maybe the tire pressure was low. It could be something as simple as that.
Cheers,
Rob
Yes it was a demo model and perhaps the tires pressures were off. However it wasn't just that, but the physical lock-to-lock was tight on the bike, like not moving, just taking the bars and going one side to the other was heavier and slower.

Again, this doesn't mean ALL 2014's are this way or that I'm a professional ANYTHING, just was my opinion based on riding my 2013 vs. a 2014 I had for an afternoon.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Yes it was a demo model and perhaps the tires pressures were off. However it wasn't just that, but the physical lock-to-lock was tight on the bike, like not moving, just taking the bars and going one side to the other was heavier and slower.

Again, this doesn't mean ALL 2014's are this way or that I'm a professional ANYTHING, just was my opinion based on riding my 2013 vs. a 2014 I had for an afternoon.
It's all good Jay.
This is the kind of info that those of us who are deciding what to buy are looking for. It's all valid. Obviously we need to try for ourselves to truly decide, but again appreciate the feedback!

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's all good Jay.
This is the kind of info that those of us who are deciding what to buy are looking for. It's all valid. Obviously we need to try for ourselves to truly decide, but again appreciate the feedback!

Cheers,

Rob
To echo what Rob said, just about any info is helpful and I often think the reviews from people who aren't getting 'paid' for their opinions might even be more helpful! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

Took a 2014 Ninja 1000 out for a test ride last weekend and was very impressed. At least to me it seems like it's a centerstand away from being just about ideal for my needs. For the riders that own and have lived with the bike, what's your overall satisfaction level with it? Any regrets or lingering issues?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ivabign, It took me a long time to find a bike more than my 1996 Kawasaki GpZ 1100. I took the N1K for a test ride at a Ticket To Ride event and fell in love instantly. I love this bike and can't think of any other bike I would rather have. I look at all the magazines, test ride other bikes all the time and I STILL can't find a bike I love more than this one. I will never sell this bike. If it was a woman, I'd marry it, but it's too damned butch to even get a woman's name. I'd even consider going gay to marry this bike!

Reactions: Jay and robertv19
1 - 20 of 28 Posts