Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for 2014 Kawasaki pointed the Ninja 1000 in a slightly different direction. With the ZX 10R satisfying the hardcore sport market Ninja 1000 was essentially redundant. So for 2014 Kawasaki gave Ninja a shot of touring to compliment its sports back ground.

New features for the Liter Ninja include KTRC traction Control, dual power modes, more power and better binders. The goal is to make Ninja 1000 a more usable bike for a wider scope of riders.

For '14 Ninja 1000 saw a power boost thats evident in the low and mid ranges (where this bike is going to spend 80% of its time) via a revised intake cam. Top end performance is boosted by additional airbox vents. Engine efficiency was increased by reducing pumping losses inside the crankcase. This was done by revising the cylinder passageways. Also between your legs a new non-woven air filter increases flow to the four 38mm Keihin downdraft throttle bodies for better high-rpm response. New equal-length velocity stacks provide peppier throttle response while improvements to Digital Timing Advance creates even more in the low and mids.

KTRS traction control uses similar modes as the ZX-10R. Modes 1 and 2 maximize forward traction for optimized acceleration, while mode 3 is calibrated for wet and slippy conditions. Handlebar mounted switch allows you to select or disable.

Two power modes allow the 1000 to operate at full power or low power. It lets you tailor delivery to your comfort level. in low power the bike will operate at only 70% power.

The ABS-equipped disc brakes get new ultra-rigid monobloc calipers that pinch 300mm petal-type rotors. Pressure is routed via a radial mount race-spec master cyl. While out back, a single 250mm petal-type rotor is mated with a single-piston caliper.

The Ninja 1000s new subframe allows for the quick install and release of top boxes and side saddles.

Front forks are unchanged from '13, 41mm inverted with pre load and rebound adjustments. The rear shock has been upgraded to include a remote pre load adjuster to dial in passenger ride height or luggage speedily.

Lastly a taller sixth gear has been added to drop revs during highway cruising. Best part is for 2014 the Ninja 1000 is retailing for $100 less than its 2013 counterpart....

·
Registered
210 Posts
it's amazing how there's so many good upgrades to the 2014 and it's cheaper than the 2013 model, i wonder if people who bought 2013 models are regretting their purchase, wishing they waited for 2014.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's amazing how there's so many good upgrades to the 2014 and it's cheaper than the 2013 model, i wonder if people who bought 2013 models are regretting their purchase, wishing they waited for 2014.
Its possible, but how would they of known? I'm sure If they're really regretting their decision Kawasaki would be happy to take their slightly used '13 Ninja 1000 and sell them a new Ninja 1000 for another couple grand ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like the move more towards a touring use. I agree that if you want a motorcycle purely for sports use the zx10r is a better option.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Its possible, but how would they of known? I'm sure If they're really regretting their decision Kawasaki would be happy to take their slightly used '13 Ninja 1000 and sell them a new Ninja 1000 for another couple grand ;)
It's a quick way to get rid of your 2013 but a lot to lose, still a good way to get a 2014 model in a rush.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
although we do have to consider that buyers of a '13 ninja 1000 may be glad they purchased the more sport oriented Ninja from last year vs this years touring focused offer...

·
Registered
166 Posts
there are other features that the 2014 Ninja have over the 2013 apart from some little touring features added.

the power modes. traction control. upgraded brakes. etc

·
Registered
210 Posts
although we do have to consider that buyers of a '13 ninja 1000 may be glad they purchased the more sport oriented Ninja from last year vs this years touring focused offer...
thats true, good point. im not all that familiar with the 2013 models but I bet some 2013 owners might agree with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Refined a bit

Hi,
I like the small refinements but bought the 2013 ninja 1000 ABS new as a leftover for $4,000 off the price ! I would never use traction control so am very happy with it.
PK:eek:

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
If the price is even close, the 14 is a better bike. Better brakes, better suspension, and traction control. Big drawback is nto having Ivans reflash available.

I dont know if older is really more sport oriented, though. Are you thinking abs?

At 4k less, I'd ride my 2013 into the sunset!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I spoke to Ivan a few weeks ago. He is a great guy and I can't wait to work with him. He is playing the 14's close to the vest... in other words I get the impression that he is considering the 14's but is not ready to put anything on the page.

The bike is just so new that the performance community is just not there. Ie no full exhaust(just slip-ons).. no tuners.. heck really cant even find good dyno plots of the 14 versus the 13... for instance I found lots of dynos on the 13's that show around 125whp... I read where someone said the 14's were already in the 140whp range with the revamp... so yeah its really to new and we need to wait.. so there is a big albeit not easily seen difference.

·
Registered
483 Posts
not jack this thread out of shape too much... but when I say no full exhaust for the 14s that should be full exhaust WITH boxes. The Akrapovic will work if you discard the boxes. I called them too and they will only support slipons with boxes.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Not being able to reflash the 2014 is a bis deal. The bike does nto run right wihtout it. Figure an extra 25-30 hp right in the range you ride in.

Yes, top end is only increased @20 hp, LOL, but the range you ride in, that 6000 rpm range...its unreal. By far, the best money you can spend on the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HP difference

Hi,
The 2013 lists the HP at 136, some say 138 HP. The new 2014 says 140 HP with less camshaft lift on intake so it runs smoother at low rpm. I do not think even 4 HP will be felt. I think the 2013 will run harder if launched at a brisk pace.
Has anyone run the Ninja 1000 at the drag strip? when stock vs a tune ?
Perry.
:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts