Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
2012 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the remote preload adjustment for every year model beginning in '14, are there any other differences in the rear shock absorbers from the '11-13 year models?

Obligatory pic of bike
Wheel Tire Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Premium Member
Yes, but I don't know what they are, specifically. The dog bone and the triangle pieces changed at least once, from 2014-2022. No idea if the shock became stiffer, softer, or a combination of both but the leverage ratio is slightly different as are the center to center lengths of the linkage pieces.

The frame and swingarm is the same, so there's no reason you couldn't make the change. Just buy the dog one and triangles from the person selling the used shock .

By all accounts the newer suspension was improved. You.might have a little bit of an upgrade if you made the change.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but I don't know what they are, specifically. The dog bone and the triangle pieces changed at least once, from 2014-2022. No idea if the shock became stiffer, softer, or a combination of both but the leverage ratio is slightly different as are the center to center lengths of the linkage pieces.

The frame and swingarm is the same, so there's no reason you couldn't make the change. Just buy the dog one and triangles from the person selling the used shock .

By all accounts the newer suspension was improved. You.might have a little bit of an upgrade if you made the change.
I'm thinking it would be a wise idea to make the switch to the newer dog bone and linkage plates like you're saying in addition to the newer shock. Was planning on sending the newer shock to Traxxion for them to work their magic. Never truly been happy with the suspension on my '12. Never really felt planted or secure, always overly light and wobbly (like side to side). Some point I'll need to send them my forks/get that AK20 cartridge.

Reactions: Geoff C

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure it's overly worthwhile, but for the time I was working on a '99 ZX-7R, an upgrade was to swap the forks for what's on the ZX6/10R. Have a set of Showa BPF forks laying around. Haven't measured anything but they might just slip into the triple clamps on the Ninja 1000.

Premium Member
If traxxion is fixing your shock, flip a coin. You are more than ok, either way. Other than the preload adjust, there is no reason to upgrade.

Their shock work on that stock 11-13 shock is amazing. You won't believe the difference.

I don't know what the exact change was, but if you are working with Dan, at Traxxion, he will know.

Even if you swap stock shocks, or stock forks, your outcome is still limited because you are stuck with stock spring rates and valving. Our stock suspenaion components are low quality, they end up being very good once they are sprung and valved correctly.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If traxxion is fixing your shock, flip a coin. You are more than ok, either way. Other than the preload adjust, there is no reason to upgrade.

Their shock work on that stock 11-13 shock is amazing. You won't believe the difference.

I don't know what the exact change was, but if you are working with Dan, at Traxxion, he will know.

Even if you swap stock shocks, or stock forks, your outcome is still limited because you are stuck with stock spring rates and valving. Our stock suspenaion components are low quality, they end up being very good once they are sprung and valved correctly.
How are you liking the cartridges in your forks? I think after getting the shock sorted, I'll get the forks taken care of.

Premium Member
They are really nice. I changed the oil, after 10 years. The oil looked new. It wasn't even discolored.

They set them up, almost perfect. They have the setting figured out. You can make a screwdriver width of adjustment and feel that.

It would be nice if they cost less, but they are excellent.

Premium Member
In a perfect world, I'm sure we verify our suspension settings on a normal basis. You would change preload settings based on passenger or no passenger, and damping settings to match.

What you find, after an upgrade, is that good is good. For sure I should adjust preload when my wife is the passenger, but she's small, and Im going to slow down. A slower steering bike isn't that bad, once a passenger ruins everything.

I'm going with every excuse I can think of, but I'm probably not going to adjust the preload.

Once it's set up correctly, specific settings don't feel as important. That's why I would say the upgrade to the new shock is a whatever and I would compliment you no matter which way you decide to do things.

My granddaughter is an excellent passenger. She's been riding with me since she was 2 and just gets it. My wife makes me want to scream the f-word. I swear she was coached by the Chinese motorcycle factories and is getting even with me one mike at a time.

Reactions: TheUX31EGuy

Registered
Not sure it's overly worthwhile, but for the time I was working on a '99 ZX-7R, an upgrade was to swap the forks for what's on the ZX6/10R. Have a set of Showa BPF forks laying around. Haven't measured anything but they might just slip into the triple clamps on the Ninja 1000.
They won't fit the triple. ZX6R BPF are 51/54 and the ZX10R BPF are 50/55. In addition, both of those take a 25mm axle, so you would need a new front wheel. It's worth it in my opinion. The BPF is a very good fork design. I've not run the AK20s, but my guess is they are about the same in use. The BPF has much larger valving and good adjustment capabilites.

Registered
In a perfect world, I'm sure we verify our suspension settings on a normal basis. You would change preload settings based on passenger or no passenger, and damping settings to match.

What you find, after an upgrade, is that good is good. For sure I should adjust preload when my wife is the passenger, but she's small, and Im going to slow down. A slower steering bike isn't that bad, once a passenger ruins everything.

I'm going with every excuse I can think of, but I'm probably not going to adjust the preload.

Once it's set up correctly, specific settings don't feel as important. That's why I would say the upgrade to the new shock is a whatever and I would compliment you no matter which way you decide to do things.

My granddaughter is an excellent passenger. She's been riding with me since she was 2 and just gets it. My wife makes me want to scream the f-word. I swear she was coached by the Chinese motorcycle factories and is getting even with me one mike at a time.
When I ride my wife, my Penske gets one turn of preload along with one click of comp and rebound. This is where I really notice the night and day diff between stock and now. I can go almost as fast two up and the bike feels great. I have my wife trained well and she's a good pillion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts