Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RC, you asked for details as I progress on my 06 GSXR1000 project. Fortunately, I ended up with lots of spares from my 07 GSXR750 track bike and my 01 GSXR1000 projects. I stole many of the parts for this from the 01 as I have decided that the 1000 is just too much for me on a track and will just sell it. The 07 is finished and fun.

I'm still hunting a top clamp with risers. All of the engine covers are scratched up and nasty, so I'm going to strip and paint them.

Here is the front and rear almost finished. I didn't want to use the R&T forks, but rather save those for an SRAD project. I have a set of 07 forks with cartridges, but they won't fit and have the ignition lock work.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More progress. Front end on, wheels on, shock on, damper on, brakes on, clutch perch on. It took two months for my ABM triple to arrive from Germany. I'm just waiting for my upper and tank to get some stickers made to get them to paint match the rest of the bike.

It looks like I'll have a ton of money in this bike once I finish. Even with the cost of the bike, Brembo, CRG , Ohlins, Carrozzeria, Vortex, ABM, Zero Gravity, etc., I'll probably have around a third of what I paid for my H2 SX in it. I'm in California where these parts are easier to find, and cheap. Most parts were used and cleaned up.

I'll stop threadjacking, at least for tonight.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fairings are back. Trial fit seems good. The Zero Gravity Touring windscreen might work good. I think I like it with the lower/bellypan off.

Time to flush the coolant, bleed the brakes, get fresh fuel in there. clean up the tank and the tail, install the mirrors and intake tines, install a better front fender, balance the wheels. I'm hoping for a first ride on Saturday.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
That bike has to be the perfect gsxf.......this one looks better, too. That's such a great place to start from. No need to try and remove weight. That's already done.

Even the windscreen looks right. I'm anxious for a ride report.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All that is left is to put on the mirrors/turn signals and a shake down run. If all works well, it may be a run down PCH to LA for a "custom" three day weekend. She needs to have the tail and front fender cleaned/polished big time. I'll ride it ugly for a long weekend if all works out tomorrow.

If you don't know what PCH is, you should ......

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I spent a day, or so riding along pch . Near Los Angeles as well as the area closer to SF. We have the thread where we talk about new tires. If I had another chance to ride here, this is where I'd want my good tires. It was beautiful and probably the perfect riding area.

I'm an anxious to hear how your suspension works. I wonder if the new riding g position will change that?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure I'll have to be careful to not make too many initial judgements.

The front calipers are Tokiko calipers from a 2015 CBR1000RR, so they are essentially the same as the N1K and H2. New Carbon Lorraine pads. Freshly scuffed Galfer rotors. Brembo RCS set to 19x18. Braided lines. In the rear is a Taiwan caliper hanger with Brembo caliper from an Aprilia, Carbon Lorraine pads and braided line. New BT-016 tires on Carrozzeria wheels.

I'll quickly get 100 miles on the new tires by heading over to my buddies at Kyle racing that freshened up my 25mm Ohlins cartridges, Ohlins pre-TTX shock and Ohlins damper to help me set the sag on the bike.

Not only will the the top bar screw with weight bias, these sharkskins, fill titanium header with carbon can as well as wheels are much lighter. It is well known that the 05-06 GSXR1000 suffers from too little trail on the front end. This mostly impacts racers, making the bike not want to finish a corner and run wide. One counter to this is to push the forks down in the triple, which for me is accomplished by the top triple sitting 4mm down, the Ohlins caps being 7mm taller than the end of the fork tubes and the top triple is 4mm thinner than the OEM triple with the caps running flush to the top. This effectively gives me 15mm longer forks. I'm thinking this will be plenty, especially with this being a street bike. Most racers run extended fork caps to accomplish this.

I can't wait to get out there!

·
Registered
543 Posts
It is well known that the 05-06 GSXR1000 suffers from too little trail on the front end. This mostly impacts racers, making the bike not want to finish a corner and run wide. One counter to this is to push the forks down in the triple, which for me is accomplished by the top triple sitting 4mm down, the Ohlins caps being 7mm taller than the end of the fork tubes and the top triple is 4mm thinner than the OEM triple with the caps running flush to the top. This effectively gives me 15mm longer forks. I'm thinking this will be plenty, especially with this being a street bike. Most racers run extended fork caps to accomplish this.
Same with '04-'05 GSXR600 and 750. A lot of guys use fork tube extenders for the track. I'm not fast enough yet to where I absolutely need them and will probably retire the '05 gixxer600 track bunny before that happens.

Anyhow, that K5 one thou is one of Suzi's best motors, ever. Not at all surprising they based their GSXS1000 on it. It's too bad they don't put an extended subframe on it, so it can accommodate hard cases. Otherwise, it would have been a more viable contender to the N1k.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Other than the stator/reg/rec, those mid-2000's Suzuki's were pretty stout. I had an '05 Kawi 636 in blue and gold livery that I really liked as a track bike and as a daily rider. I blew it up after a big crash at BIR, unfortunately.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've not had any issues with the stator, relay/rectifier on any on my 2000 GSXR's. My 07 GSXR750 has the relay/rectifier in a bad spot behind the radiator. I'm planning on moving it. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I took her on a short shakedown run to fill up the tank. The recommendations on fork setup were a little too extreme. I'm waiting on some calculations now. That and I'll have to swap the fork springs to something lighter. I was hammering on the brakes to warm up the tires and still have 50mm from the bottom of the forks. I'm making up this suspension setup crap as I don't see anyone with this kind of setup.

Beyond the quirks, out on the road she's a dream. Seating position is good as well as wind protection. I'll lower the forks around 7mm tonight, remove some preload and try again tomorrow. Fortunately, the rear feels good. Power is as expected, just nuts.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I like the gsxr look. I wish we could have a windshield, sized like the one on the Ninja, that looked good. That one doesnt, but being able to run one extends my riding season by several months. Is this a lost art? Something we just cant manage?

Seeing your bike makes me realize what suzuki was up against with their gsxf. The area where the clip-ons were is an open space once they are gone... never thought of that before. Did you have to do custom throttle cables? Custom lines would be no problem, but cables might be?

I know the k5 and 6 didnt have the 200 hp of modern bikes, but up to about 10,000 rpm, they will destroy a modern 1000cc machine. I think it's still the best street/sportbike engine ever made.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That Ninja windscreen works fantastic. My friends call it a toboggan. My response, I can't see it while I'm riding.

I'm running a Motion Pro Rev2 throttle and kill switch so I have room for the Brembo master. The throttle and clutch cables needed creative routing, but work fine in stock length. The brake lines are still not long enough. I'm ordering custom ones.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have new tires and brakes, so I'm trying to break them in without going too crazy. Lots of heavy, straight line throttle and brakes. I came out of a corner and wasn't quite straight up yet. I cranked the throttle and pulled the front up while the rear tire was spinning. Tons of low end torque in this engine, and I'm running a stock tune with a pipe and Factory Pro intake stacks. I expect there is more in there. I did flash the ECU to deregulate the timing retard though.

I am holding off to see how much I like this. I have a set of Yoshimura cams sitting on the shelf. If I stick with this thing I'll yank the engine next winter and put in pistons, rods and some port work to go with the cams. Poof, 200 hp

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, a couple hundred miles in.

Pro's:
- Oh holy crap is this thing light and nimble
- Power is close to the H2 SX. Bottom end is a little less, on top is about the same, especially over 100MPH, in Mexico
- It took some work to dial in the suspension and I'm very close.
-- I need to go from a 9.5 to a 10 nm spring. I cannot quite get sag right.
-- I settled on pushing the forks 4mm below the top of the triple. This looks right and what the racers run them at. It's easy to go below on this one as my Ohlins caps are 7mm tall. The bike is smooth as silk, not twitchy at all.
-- Damper is right in the middle setting with no head shake, which I expected with a top bar.
-- Handling is superb, even with too much sag in the rear. I expect it to get better.
- The Suzuki gel seat may be the most comfortable seat I ever ridden on.

Cons (which is a reach)
- No quick shifter ....... yet
- No cruise control ........ waaaa, crybaby
- No luggage space. I'll have to deal with this and pack super light

I have no way to compare this to an OEM GSXR1000 setup as I didn't ride it before the mods. I'm tired of the crazy insurance on the H2 SX, so this looks like my new ride.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I like it. It makes sense in so many ways.

Your forks and brakes are at the insane level, but if a person used the stock stuff, the bike would still be excellent, and the cost is close to what one would pay for a 2011 ninja 1000. Did you do anything with footpeg position? Do you think you will have to?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All in, I have $2000 in this bike. Very lucky finds including the bike itself. I had the suspension, brakes and wheels before I got the bike. All those parts came on bikes I bought, put stock parts on and then flipped for what I bought the bikes for, including the cost of stock parts to replace them. I only had to buy top triple clamp/bar, brake pads, parts for the slipper clutch mod, fluids/filter, license plate bracket, right woodcraft engine slider and one replacement footpeg.

I have Vortex rearsets this GSXR1000, and the pegs are all the way down and back. The rearsets and titanium/carbon Akrapovic exhaust came on this bike. It's a very comfortable position.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I wonder if the H2 SX mirrors would mount on the N1k... I have to pack my bikes tight in my garage and so I'm always threading in between bikes and bumping into mirror stalks. N1k's mirrors go out of alignment easily. I much prefer mirrors with internal adjustment, like on the H2 SX and GSXR.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts