Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it will fit? I like the the look of a wider tire so it's only for aesthetic reasons.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, it will fit.

With that said, why would you want to do such a thing? I know you said aesthetic reasons, but why would you sacrifice turn-in for looks?

·
Registered
633 Posts
As said before, it will have a negative effect on handling. Turn in will be slower and the bike will be less responsive to steering inputs. Best tire for this bike is a 190 / 55.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Well at least the speedo will finally be closer to accurate...

I can understand why the Nitracity would like the better looks but if performance isn't degraded too much, he still might be happy with it. Then again it could suck terribly and he might want to change it immediately.

Who knows, he might like the handling better. I'd love to hear his feedback if he does it though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yea, I would definitely be worried about the handling. It will also limit your tire choices. A lot of sport tires don't go higher than 190.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well at least the speedo will finally be closer to accurate...

I can understand why the Nitracity would like the better looks but if performance isn't degraded too much, he still might be happy with it. Then again it could suck terribly and he might want to change it immediately.

Who knows, he might like the handling better. I'd love to hear his feedback if he does it though.
Will it affect the speedo at all? When i changed the front sprocket (+1) I didn't notice a change in the offset of the speedo with my GPS. I think its been discussed on the board that the speedo is getting its reading from the ABS sensor on the front wheel. If that's true then changing the size of the front tire might affect the mismatch, but changing the rear tire would have no impact.

·
Registered
23 Posts
rear tire size

I am not judging anyone. If some one wants to do something to there bike its their choice but does anyone else think the tire looks to narrow? That tire to me looks huge compared to my 78 GS1000 and 80 GS1100e

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think there's a thin line between show bikes (for show purposes) and a street bike. However, street bike means street cred either by the machine or by rider skill.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The bike is sharper and crisper on turn-in. It has the same effect as decreasing the rake on the forks. The normal tradeoff would potentially be less stability at high speeds. I can assure there is no issue with that. Let's just say I've seen the theoretical top speed achieved on a Ninja 1000 ABS racing game and no stability issues.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
the bike is sharper and crisper on turn-in. It has the same effect as decreasing the rake on the forks. The normal tradeoff would potentially be less stability at high speeds. I can assure there is no issue with that. Let's just say i've seen the theoretical top speed achieved on a ninja 1000 abs racing game and no stability issues.
lol!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
About speedo accuracy with tyre changes and the speedo working from the front ABS . I would dispute that because when I altered sprockets ,41 to 39 and 15 to16; estimated alteration of 12% reduction of engine revs, left me with the more or less standard speedo error showing 106 mph for an actual 100 mph. I was under the impression the speedo was worked from the rear ABS.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Changing gearing had no effect on my speedo's accuracy vs. true. Only when I changed my rear tire did the indicated speed actually become closer to true.

As for gearing change, I'd not recommend anyone who is heavier, or rides more aggressively, to consider going much more than 16T front sprocket and the taller (/55) rear tire.

If you are lighter, on flat land, low altitude, no passengers, or not very heavily loaded then you could consider the smaller rear sprocket as well. I meet none of the above criteria so I am staying where I am now (16T & /55 tire). I can cruise at 80 mph and be in the vibe free zone. Roll on is still good (also helped by Ivan's reflash) and peak acceleration is better than stock (thanks again Ivan).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts