Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I dont know how many of us checked the tps settings on our stock 2011-13 ninjas, but Jay's bike, and my bike, were not set properly from the factory. We verified , with meters.

Obviously, once we realized we could adjust them, it was game on to try and outsmart kawasaki and find a better setting to get rid of the flat spot. The experiment was a total failure. You had to have Ivan's fce to fix it. It was only 75.00, and worth 10 times that in how it made the bike feel

I still have my fce. If I didnt have to pass local emissions tests, it would be installed on my car.

You had a ton of Miles's on your fjr. How was reliability other than the throttle body thing? Did it get dirty from fuel, or worn out?

·
Registered
273 Posts
You had a ton of Miles's on your fjr. How was reliability other than the throttle body thing? Did it get dirty from fuel, or worn out?
Well, it is a very long story. The bottom line for me, I didn't really like the bike as a whole. It had some nice feature, but it just didn't fit me and/or I did not fit it. And, my dealer, who made a gallant effort to fix it was unable and the final fix I did myself. I had already decided to sell the bike but refused to put the problem on a new owner. The short story however and final act that brought the bike back to reliable and safe condition was cleaning and tightening the battery terminals. I know that sounds like 101 stuff, but it got past 3 certified technicians as well as techincal support at Yamaha!! When they returned my bike saying they think they got it, but wasn't sure, I didn't drive it 3 miles and the problem was still there. I took it home and was about to tear it down myself and in the process I checked the battery, that is what I always do with bike that have FI and electronics. It was easy to discover that know one had checked the battery! So the battery connections was not all the issues, but the final one that made the bike safe to ride and saleable by my standards. What I don't know is if anything else cropped up in the future as I did sell the bike. In two of the FJR forums I belonged to back then there were others who experienced the whiskey throttle. Some found fixes and others did not. I'm not sure why they did not, probably gave up and sold their bikes.

I think the FJR is a reliable bike and like many gen bikes it hade some quirks that effort some but not all. My FJR was a Gen3 2007 model. I think there has been a lot of improvements made to the bike in later models.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
As someone who works on the same equipment, over and over again, what you said is 100% true. There is never a time when you can overlook the basics. Its tempting to do just that, but if you do, it will end wasting time, or costing a lot of money.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
That's how it's always worked , for me. Send it on Monday, and I'm riding by Thursday afternoon.

That's how it all worked if I paid for next day air shipping. I went to next day air, all the time, after i realized the post office could do that for 25.00 if i used their mylar envelopes.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I put the ECU back in and reassembled the tail. Just did a very short thirty minute ride. My initial impression is that the bike runs smoother and more responsive than the prior tune. That says a lot because I didn't dislike the first tune.

I will be hitting the canyons on Sunday and plan to write a comparison in a separate thread Sunday or Monday. So far, I'm very pleased with the tune and the purchasing experience was pleasant. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I had a personal emergency today, so I couldn't do the full ride this morning. Everything is OK, but I have to delay the write up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
. I'm not accustomed to spelling sex acts performed on men, so Kudos to you on that.

Btw, I've known Ivan personally for quite some time, and I as well as RC am one of his biggest advocates. Much like you are for Guhl and Brock. However, like RC, I never had the urge to perform said acts on him though.
That's certainly up for debate. You're the one who started this whole topic.

I am an equal opportunity advocate. I have used many Tuners. Never Brock. Each one has their strengths and weaknesses. Several of my bikes have been custom dyno tuned using a PC-V before flashing became widely available.

And I am not a freak about 'small throttle openings'. That is NOT where I spend most of my time.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
specifically the ninja and specifically a flash, who else is there? And if you used 2wheel than you may have indirectly used brock so not entirely sure the point your trying to make.

btw, since a bike needs to start from a closed throttle, regardless where you wind up, those openings matter as they are unavoidable regardless of where time is spent. But it makes it sound cool to imply you're constantly at wot I suppose.

and no, it's not up for debate. reread your posts.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Rock, that the point, those small throttle openings. Ivan's flashes have that, and hes not afraid to post dyno charts showing the large throttle openings.

Motoman is correct in one way. Any tuner who leaves the O2 sensor active doesnt care about small throttle openings. Leaving that sensor active means he never tuned in that area. But then he turns that sensor off if he is dealing with a full header? It makes no sense.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've already said I'm not going there on this topic with you guys.

You're gonna bow down and worship Ivan no matter what. And you're not gonna listen or respond to anything I say.
There is no point in talking to you. I saw the M109 thread, which made a lot of sense to me... but he's going down the same rat hole with you that I did. He'll learn.

It's too bad Night Train didn't get a dyno run with his 2WDW before he sent it off. Then we might have a valid comparison.

Here's the thing: The N1K is NOT a high performance bike. No matter who flashes it! You're gonna hit a HP ceiling and that's that. So I threw on an Akro and a Flash and called it good. I have other high performance bikes capable of a much higher percentage power increase from a Tune. So I focus on that. I really have no interest in this topic anymore.

As far as small throttle openings, no I don't spend all my time at WOT, but I will say that the power on my N1K seems to come on around 3K RPM. And that's about 5-10 mph in 1st gear? I don't really know. When it hits 3K, I feel a little 'shove' and things start moving. Fast. And it blows right through the Rev Range like never before.

I would think that not only is fine tuning the bike below 3K a waste of time, but adding more fuel there can lead to carbon deposits, oil dilution, and cylinder wall washing. So I'm fine with it. I don't remember whether the O2 sensor is there or not. I'd have to look. I think it still might be there, but the Flashed ECU ignores it. Or I pulled it and plugged the bung. Unlike you, my Entire Life does not revolve around this bike.

That is all. I am done. Goodbye. Probably selling this fine motorcycle next spring and then....Ducati?

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Pretty long goodbye for someone who keeps saying "I've no interest in this anymore." Man, your boyfriend must not be able to close the door on you during one of your "I"m done with you" rants. Done...done again... done a little more... really done this time... really really done this time.. I swear I'm done this time... yeppper. We await your next five page post.

hummm... curious though, the NInja will never be a high performace bike.. and who cares about the low rev range... well since the Ninja is an everyday bike, wouldn't the non supersport type riding count? Seems to me there's a contradiction here... but that's just me. But then my head's probably so full of Ivan's Gizz I just can't think clearly anymore.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Why would anyone buy a 1000cc motorcycle (or larger in RC's case) and ride around at 10mph?

I would think you're dangerously close to lugging the motor.

You might as well get a 250cc or a Honda Grom.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
With an Ivan's reflash, you can ride around at 10 mph. The bike will handle full throttle at 1300 rpm, and 4 mph.....and it pulls fine from that range.

When do you use that range? Never....other than when you leave stop lights, stop signs, school zones. Accelerate from a stop...otherwise, never. It's also nice when you stop. Judging from crashbar sales, people would appreciate this , too.

When you have a bike that rums this clean, you dont need as much flywheel weight. That makes this bike about 10x as much fun...I dont think it does anything measurable, but it is fun.

Ivan has had his dyno charts up since 2012, and a separate page for the 2014 and newer bikes. The only other person who equaled his top end performance ...and I say "top end" because the low and midrange isnt even close. Brock never found the restrictions. He was able to equal Ivan's peak numbers (146 to 147 Ivan) only by running 0w-30 oil and MR12 fuel. That brock video is on youtube. Ivan runs pump gas.

Mr 12 is awesome. I recommend everyone try some asap. You fell it. Its amazing. Your bike just works better with it in the tank. Their literature says 10% power increase, and it's TRUE. It would give a similar gain in Ivan's bikes. The stuff is magic, and low priced for what it is. The price fluctuates, but right now its 135.00 for 5 gallons. The can is free, and you dont want to store your bike with it in there. Especially fun on a 125cc dirt bike.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I never use low revs when I start from a complete stop at a stop at a light when turning. I spin the tires until they smoke so I can leave the light from a complete stop at 8k rpms or better. So I guess he's right now that i think about it. This is pretty much what everyone does. Also in parking lots I pull the clutch in while I'm pinning the throttle so I can rev at 10k while finding a spot.

Now that I think about that makes perfect sense. There's almost no occasion that a proficient rider would ever rev less than 6k rpms. But because the Ninja is not a high performance bike we won't take it to the track or do any street racing, but we will rev it to 10k rpms at stop signs and around town because that's how you ride a non high performance large bore bike. Makes perfect sense. I don't know what the heck I was thinking.

With Ivan's flashes you don't lug at 2k rpms in first. But then why should that matter? It's stop/wot with nothing in between.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why would anyone buy a 1000cc motorcycle (or larger in RC's case) and ride around at 10mph?

I would think you're dangerously close to lugging the motor.

You might as well get a 250cc or a Honda Grom.
Im not getting involved in this, but this was one bloody stupid comment. 1000cc bikes also have to stop & not everyone rides like a dickhead all the time.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Speaking of dickhead, it was difficult to ride a stock concours 14 in a parking lot without looking like a dickhead. The bike is top heavy, the low speed fueling was inconsistent, and its response wasnt very good. Lane splitting as well. That's legal here.

Having that flashed made a massive difference. The ninja was just as bad, but it's not heavy, bulky or as top heavy.

Even though you ended up with 20-30% more low end.....and that's not normal. Very few bikes will see low rpm gains like that. I happened to end up with 2 that were very restricted. Even with more power, both bikes were a lot easier to deal with when you had to ride at slow speeds.

It sounds insane, but a good flash doesn't evolve around fuel. Correct fueling might be worth 25% of what you are buying.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts