Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I sent my ECU to 2 Wheel DynoWorks on the unknown eve of Ivan's Flash for the 2017 to 2019. Admittedly, I would have waited for Ivan's flash if I had a date certain of the release since I know folks raved about his tunes and 2 Wheel seemingly had mixed reviews. Since the ECU had been out for more than 2 years and Ivan's flash had not yet been issued, I was growing a bit skeptical about whether Ivan would perform a tune for the bike. Maybe flawed thinking on my part, but nonetheless that is why I went ahead with 2 Wheel. Nels who is the owner at 2 Wheel Dynoworks responded to all of my emails within one day and I felt that he has pride in his work. I have had my fair share of bad experiences, so I am sensitive to things going wrong. If I felt that there would be a problem, I would not have gone with him.

I should provide you with some basic information about me so that you can use that in your analysis of whether to give credence to my opinions or not. I have been riding bikes for about 30 years and riding street for the past 25 years. Over those 25 years, I had just a few bikes which consisted of; 1985 Honda Magna VF700, 1985 Yamaha FJ1100, 1986 Honda Nighthawk, 2005 Suzuki SV1000, 2007 Triumph Speed Triple and now the 2019 Ninja 1000. My riding mainly consists of canyon carving, commuting and occasionally long rides. My favorite is a long haul through twisties.I consider myself to be on the more aggressive side of riding and like speed.

My last bike which was the Speed Triple was a fun bike and owned it for 12 years. I spent lots of time and money on that bike. I used Tune ECU to get it to run "better", but I think that is what caused the issues I had with stalling, erratic idling, snatchy throttle, etc. So when I got the Ninja, I was pleased more than you can imagine. It starts up easily, idles, and overall runs nicely. I had no intentions of doing ANYTHING with the tuning, but I'm a tinker at heart and I was enticed by some of the comments made here (you can use your imagination).. So, to clarify I was not immensely unhappy with the way the bike rode and could have kept it the way it was and still loved the bike.

In case you plan to go down the route of having your bike tuned, It's super simple to get the ECU out after you disconnect the battery, remove the two seats, remove the flap and lower the rear fender. There, you can gently pull out the ECU and unplug the two connectors (be careful not to damage them). I chose to send it by Next Day Air and insured it for $1,000. They got the ECU the next day, flashed it and returned to me by USPS Priority and that took two days. So, I sent it out Monday and had it back by Thursday. The Next Day shipping is not cheap (~$100), but it had tracking and insurance. You can do it for less than that for slower shipping time, but don't skimp on insurance. When I got it back, i put some dielectric grease in the connectors, reconnected it and made sure to push it completely back in the holder and then put the bike back together.

I've had it back for a few weeks now but just had a chance to do a bit more riding. I reiterate that I was not unhappy with how the bike rode and based on my last bike, this bike is a dream,

Here is my laymen's view of the tune. If your expectation is that the bike is going to be a firebreather, that isn't the case. However, I noticed that the bike now runs smoother. Here in California, we can share lanes and while I am very comfortable doing it, one of the difficulties can be the off and on throttle needed to maintain a steady pace. Hard to explain, but the ability to do this smoothly is essential when negotiating cars, mirrors, etc.

Before, the bike had been a bit hesitant with the off and on throttle. I would need to feather the clutch. The tune seemingly eliminates any of the snatchiness or hesitation that I noticed in the past.. The other change I noticed is that the bike seems smoother at cruising speed. I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but the bike seemed to have less vibration at 70 mph or more.

The next change is acceleration feels a tad faster. When getting on the freeway, I had that rush I felt when I first got the Ninja coming off my Speed Triple. Some may say locomotive-like...almost like I didn't notice how fast I was going.

I took the bike for a short ride in the canyons. on a road that is well known to me. Not to sound redundant, but I found that I had to think less about getting off and on throttle.Seems like I could put more mental energy on lines than anything.

Today it was over a 100 F and I was in stop and go traffic, As stated before, I was sharing lanes for awhile. The bike seemingly runs cooler now. The bike seemed to run a bar or two lower than before. That was kind of cool, no pun intended. So far, no error codes and my biggest concern was how rich smelling the exhaust would become (my last bike's exhaust smell was just horrible). Fortunately, the exhaust isn't repulsive.

I know that without a dyno, this is all subjective. I imagine that some people would find fault with the tune, However, I'm cool with it. I know that Ivan gets lots of kudos and if what people say is true, the bike can probably ride itself with Ivan's Tune. Not meant to be a passive-aggressive insult to Ivan. I don't know him or have any negative thoughts about him. I am just saying that so far, I'm pretty damn happy with 2 Wheel Dynoworks.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
nice write up Train. Glad you like the flash. Whether or not it's as good, better, or worse than Ivan's flash is not very important if it's giving you what you need.
Good to know there are alternatives out there.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
I thought this guy, on the fz09 forum did a good job of describing the differences. It's not as if one flash completly sucks, and the other is amazing. What other mods do you have? I thought I remembered that you had a full

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought this guy, on the fz09 forum did a good job of describing the differences. It's not as if one flash completly sucks, and the other is amazing. What other mods do you have? I thought I remembered that you had a full

RC, no mods besides the slip on muffler. Thanks for the post, the author gives a clear nod to Ivan's. I may give it a try in the future.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
No, you guys know that's for Motoman.....I really dont care. Nothing in it for me, but I love to fire up motoman. Let's see if he shows up in this thread now that I mentioned his name. Maybe he will turn me into the mod for talking to him?

Some of the issues are so bad, and so obvious that anyone could find them. Just getting rid of some of those is a big deal and would make a significant difference.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am just saying that so far, I'm pretty damn happy with 2 Wheel Dynoworks.
That's a great review of your tune.

I would say that with my Akro 4-1, I just get a lot more of everything you described.

I strongly doubt that any other tune for your bike would be significantly different.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
you're more well versed on that than I am

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nope. I just know how to spell.

And I know someone on this Board who is doing exactly what you described.

But kudos to you for using the correct term.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
. I'm not accustomed to spelling sex acts performed on men, so Kudos to you on that.

Btw, I've known Ivan personally for quite some time, and I as well as RC am one of his biggest advocates. Much like you are for Guhl and Brock. However, like RC, I never had the urge to perform said acts on him though.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
RC, no mods besides the slip on muffler. Thanks for the post, the author gives a clear nod to Ivan's. I may give it a try in the future.
You might consider the header first, then try another flash. Maybe even look at the Lextec....was that the one Volfy bought? I dont think its as awesome as the akra, but its 1/3 the price.

Part of what a decent flash gives you, on this bike, is nice kick in the butt above 10,000 rpm. I know it's something we never get to use, but you short change the bike when you dont have it. The stock header is so restrictive that a good aftermarket header will give better throttle response, and low end.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might consider the header first, then try another flash. Maybe even look at the Lextec....was that the one Volfy bought? I dont think its as awesome as the akra, but its 1/3 the price.

Part of what a decent flash gives you, on this bike, is nice kick in the butt above 10,000 rpm. I know it's something we never get to use, but you short change the bike when you dont have it. The stock header is so restrictive that a good aftermarket header will give better throttle response, and low end.
Thanks RC. I'm on the fence about a header because of where I live. I still don't have a straight answer about the smog testing here. I need to do more research about it. The second question is what a header will do with the exhaust smell. Yeah, I know it will likely smell richer, but how much is the question. Since I like to commute to work, I don't want to smell like a gas can. Or more precisely, my Aerostich.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Where are you, again? I dont believe anyone even has a protocol for checking motorcycle emissions, once the bike is sold.

In know it is a crime, in Utah, to modify a federally compliant...anything. But, the only people who get in trouble is if you are offroad without a spark arrestor...not the arrestor, really, the sticker or name plate that says your silencer is legal. Other than that, Harley would be out of business if road legal pipes were required.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where are you, again? I dont believe anyone even has a protocol for checking motorcycle emissions, once the bike is sold.

In know it is a crime, in Utah, to modify a federally compliant...anything. But, the only people who get in trouble is if you are offroad without a spark arrestor...not the arrestor, really, the sticker or name plate that says your silencer is legal. Other than that, Harley would be out of business if road legal pipes were required.
I'm in California. One thing that is exhaust related, but not emissions, necessarily. If the exhaust is too loud, over a certain decibel, you can be cited with a non correctable infraction. So, you get fined $1,000 and then the vehicle has to be inspected before its back on the road. This is really targeted at the Fast and Furious crowd. But, you never know what can happen. That inspection means that without a CARB sticker, or catalytic converter , may as well bend over and take it.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Night Train, you had an O2 sensor to deal with, didnt you? If so, what did you do with it? Did you have to unplug it, or was it truly disabled?

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
It might be worthwhile to call and ask about the sensor. I believe Murph may have had to disconnect his when he flashed with the same software. It's also possible that the sensor was shut off and you can ignore it. Hopefully, that's it.

I swear though that Murph had to disconnect his. I remember him talking about how difficult it was to get to the connector.

If it's not 100% shut off, it will still be doing its thing over maps that the tuner put in...not good.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts