Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all be careful out there through this holiday weekend, 2 riders killed all ready in my area this week so far, and both riders accidents were in town. Cagers just arent paying attention. So be double alert and have a safe holiday

Reactions: ahperson

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Mark, this point is what I think of when the topic goes to new electronic safety devices installed on our bikes. I hope they help, but until we stop reading about stories like this.....

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it seems like its the other people running over us insteads of us killing ourselves,

·
Registered
828 Posts
A lot of graduation parties with drunk drivers over the next few weekends as well. I lost my 2 best riding buddies from high school this same time of year quite some time ago.

They were going pretty fast but a drunk driver, on a one-way bridge, hit them head on with his pickup. They never saw him coming as it was at night and he forgot to turn on his lights.

Accidents are one of those things you can't be too fixated on but just have to stay aware. I had read that generally fatal MC accidents were trending downward but 2015 saw about a 10% spike back up.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
They trend downward when less bikes are sold, and up when sales are good. Its always been that way, and dates back to 1970.

Very little effort put out to avoid the problem other than, "start seeing motorcycles". All development has been pushed towards a motorcycles tire losing grip.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I herd on the news the other day something about a record number of motorcycle fatalities for the first part of this year

·
Registered
599 Posts
I avoid riding in the city as much as possible. Seems that is where most accidents occur due to collisions with cars.

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I avoid riding in the city as much as possible. Seems that is where most accidents occur due to collisions with cars.
I'm with Johnmark... I don't enjoy riding in heavy traffic unless I have to. The joy of the sport for me is being out on twisty, scenic, backcountry roads.

Friday evenings around here are crazy... Lots of people anxious to get home and start their weekend mixed with happy hour traffic. Lots of drivers on their cell phones too. It's going to be extra crazy with a three day weekend.

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Registered
109 Posts
We have had a spate in my state with fatalities, quite a few involving other vehicles, but also bikes hitting guard rails and banks on some of our very narrow twisty Adelaide Hills roads. I like twisties but try to avoid the very sharp twisties because one has such a small margin of error and on coming traffic cuts corners too often.Trying to share a narrow road with a careless car puts one at a serious risk.But then again many accidents occur out on the wide flat country roads,so, I guess it can happen anywhere.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me too, but unfortunately I have to do a little of it to get out of town. I also don't ride at night if I can help it. Too many drunks and punks out late at night.
Im with huck on that one, i really dont enjoy night riding that much and there is alot of deer in my area even in town.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This thread is a great reminder as I was just about to get on my N1K and ride down to bike night at San Jose Cycle Gear. This is one of the few occasions that I ride during this busy hectic time of day.

Thank you all for the timely reminder. I will keep this in mind over the holiday weekend.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm with JM101 and SproHd .. don't like city driving AT ALL.

Great point, too, on the 'grad season' upon everyone.

Be safe out there and ENJOY !

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes i can confirm the cagers are already in another world, about got hit twice today in my truck, i got a good mind to sty on the couch this weekend feel like its going to be a crazy one

·
Registered
828 Posts
No doubt the crazies are out. Last night I drove about 9 hours all over California. Got back about 4am in the morning. All I can say is I am glad I wasn't on a bike.

I thought it might be better today and took a new toy out for a ride. I felt like nobody was paying attention at all. They were just cruising through stop signs and not even looking. Rode through Palo Alto almost got hit by a campus bus that turned in front of me and apparently didn't even see my super bright LED headlight. I don't think I am going to bother riding much this weekend. By the time the drunks really get rolling by Sunday or Monday it will be insane.

They think this will be the 2nd greatest number of people traveling on Memorial Day. Somewhere over 37,000,000 on the road. Just think about how many drunks that will be.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe that day trippin, seems like ever body is cranked up this holiday weekend

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
DT, ive been driving all over the southern cal freeways. 405 and the 5, mostly. Near Redondo Beach, and such.

I could all learn from the riders here. They ride agressively. Between cars, and pretty much control their own destiny. I like the attitude. All kinds of sport bikes. Harleys, too. Aprilia is popular, or Im near a dealership. Several bmw r9t's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts