Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking the new 1000SX "Bruce" out for his first weekend at the track this weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park, along with my Street Triple R. I am riding with Performance Riding Experience, which is an awesome track day group in the NC,SC,VA area.

This will be more of a shake-down session, to see what items need to be addressed this winter(brakes, suspension, etc) I think the S22's will be more than capable of handling anything I can throw at them, especially considering the new asphalt at CMP.
I will have the suspension setup for my, by the guys at Max Speed Cycle, who do all of the track-side suspension/tire work for P.R.E.
I decided to just leave the bodywork off, since I already had it off to install the crash cage.
I think it looks pretty bad *** with the bodywork off...

I will post some pictures throughout the weekend and will post some of the professional track photos next week.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Drop the pressures some and the S22s should do just fine. If this is not your first rodeo, you probably know already. Otherwise, the regulars at CMP should know what works well for that track.

I too have a Street Triple R parked next to the N1k. Right now it's set up for my son to ride with me, but I bought it to replace my Gixxer track bunny, which is just getting old. Plan is when he gets to point where he is comfortable riding the N1k on the road, The 765R will get a Streetona treatment. I've already got an Ohlins shock for it. Forks will either be reworked or replaced when I get to that point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you're overthinking this a bit. If it's your first trackday, you're going to be in group C, there is not a lot of crashing going on in group C, ever. It's mostly parade laps. Most of the crashing happens in group A (and some in B), where people have dedicated race bike and push the limits with the expectation of sometimes going over that limit.

To give you an idea of how slow most people are in group C, this was me in B 2 weeks ago, with a bunch of people that honestly did not even belong in B. So imagine a group even slower then these guys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not my 1st track day. I do however ride fairly aggressively on the track. I don't plan on using the cage, but I feel better knowing it is there.

I haven't reinstalled the bodywork yet. I have to modify the cage a bit, due to it not fitting the '20 N1k right. I have some longer bolts on order and should be able to reinstall the bodywork next week, before heading off to the mountains for a couple of days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course. I will post a pick of the camping/pit setup in the morning and should have the photographers photos Tues/Wednesday.

In a slight turn of events, I had been toying with the idea of selling my Street Triple and this evening I came to a verbal agreement with a guy that I have been talking to for a while about it. If it is sold, then the Ninja will get a lot more track time than I planned..

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Why sell a street triple? You know you deserve both..

You know, GB racing makes engine covers for the ninja. I ordered mine right from the page. Delivery was within 5 days, and the cost was less than the usa distributors were asking. I like them because they wont tear tabs off the frame if something goes badly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Bruce(It's a Ninja, come on) and I have started to get along well. I kept tinkering with the suspension, adding preload front/rear until I felt like I wasn't getting much dive under hard braking. My times stayed pretty consistent through the day.
On the last session of the day, I got behind an R6 and we ended up mixing it up for a couple of laps. After the session, we gave each other a fist bump and I headed back to my pit. I was surprised to see that I beat my personal best lap by 3 seconds!!

Needless to say, I am very pleased with how the bike is performing.

Another full day of riding tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
That's impressive. You dont even have good tires yet. How were they, by the way, in a place where tires are everything?

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
It's always more interesting when people do things the hard way. When I was a kid, I remember how impressed I was when people were touring on their xs650 Yamahas. You would look at the odometer and see 85,000 miles on a bike that should have been a commuter. This is like that. Anyone can ride a zx10 on a track, at least I hope so. The way you are doing it is the hard way, and much more impressive because of that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts