Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

My N1K came with the 190/50 S22 on it and I really like it. However, I don't expect it to last more than 8000kms. I do not ride aggressively so I was thinking of going with the 190/55 Angel GT2 tyres.

My question is what would be difference in the shape (ovality) between two, considering the difference in the profile and one being a sports tyre and the other a touring tyre.

Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
I cannot directly answer your question about going from a 50 to a 55. But my 2020 came with the S22 and I now have the Angel GT (original, not the II). I’m very pleased with the Angel GT, and I’m a pretty aggressive rider

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 55 series tire will change the geometry of the bike. Going up from a 50 to a 55 doesn't seem like a big change, but on the older bikes, 2011 thru 2013 it made a notable difference in how well the bike would turn-in. Once electronics were introduced, the 55 series was not recommended due to it messing with the programming. I've been gone awhile, so I'm sure there is a discussion thread about this somewhere, but I don't know where it is at this time! I ride a 2012 with no electronic aids. I run a 190/55 and I pushed the forks up 7mm into the risers (topped them out) and the bike handles much more like a sportbike than it did out of the crate. I ride aggressively though and do trackdays on my N1K, so tire life is not really a concern of mine. Plus, I'm a Dunlop fanboy, so I can't help you with those tires... :D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Even if you ride spiritedly, which is I'm sure what you meant ("aggressive" gets used a lot, but to me means something completely different), you really don't need hypersport tires on public roads. A better Bridgestone comparison to the Angel GT would be the new T32, or the older T31 EVO. If your Ninja is a 2020+, 55 series tires probably wouldn't make as big a difference, as it does on a 2019 or older N1k.

I had the older Angel GT on a Speed Triple R and like it a lot. Then again, I have not come across a sport touring tire in the last 8yrs that didn't work well for general road riding and spirited twisties. I would suggest you consider the local prices in your locale. Here in the USA, Bridgestones seem to sell at larger discount than others brands. Plus they have rebates just about twice a year ($50 right now thru Nov 30th). That's what I would buy today, if I don't already have several sets stashed away in my garage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I currently have the Angel GT2 mounted on my bike. My bike has a IMU and I heard the 190/55 can throw codes so I stuck with the 190/50. I mostly commute and didn't want the more aggressive geometry anyways.

That being said. My commute involves grooved pavement. The tire grooves on the front Angel GT2 catch the rain grooves on the freeway and cause the handlebars to shake. I would highly recommend another tire if the roads you frequent have rain grooves in them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I currently have the Angel GT2 mounted on my bike. My bike has a IMU and I heard the 190/55 can throw codes so I stuck with the 190/50. I mostly commute and didn't want the more aggressive geometry anyways.
Has this been confirmed or dispelled? My 2021 S22 is toast after 3500 miles. the 50 does look pretty low-pro for the bike. I like the twisties, but with a '21 I don't want computer issues. Thoughts? I also considered the Q3+'s and SC2's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has this been confirmed or dispelled? My 2021 S22 is toast after 3500 miles. the 50 does look pretty low-pro for the bike. I like the twisties, but with a '21 I don't want computer issues. Thoughts? I also considered the Q3+'s and SC2's.
I had to special order the Angel GT2s so I didn't want to take any chances and I didn't want to change the steering geometry anyways so I went for the 190/50.

The Angel GT2 is a twitchy tire and would probably work for you unless you also commute on your bike and your route has rain grooves.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have not heard anybody that had fault code from just changing from 190/50 to 190/55. As long your front or rear sprocket size are the same as stock, you should be fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to a Pirelli tyre shop a couple of weeks back and checked the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 4 (190/50/17) and the Angel GT2 (190/55/17) side by side and the difference in the height of the two was very minor if any. However the 190/55/17 Diablo Rosso 4 was visibly taller than the 190/55/17 Angel GT 2. The Angel GT2 had a much flatter profile.

I'll try to go again and take some pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts