Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone think of any potential negative impacts for running a 180 rear tire? I have a set of Dunlop Q3's laying around that I'm strongly considering putting on. I really don't care about the tire wear. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
The six inch rim is wide for a 180. A 180 is typically associated with a 5.5. Otherwise, it's probably better.

If you try it, please let us know how big the 8mprovement is, as I think it might be. I think this bike got a 190 for looks, and that's it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be completely honest, I'm most excited to get rid of the stock garbage front tire. I took the advice of a fellow forum member (apologies for not remembering the name to be able to give credit) to inflate it to 42 PSI to round it out a little bit, and that really helped turn in, but I've run the Q3's on two other bikes (an RSV4 and GSX-R600) and loved them.

I'll probably be swapping them this weekend, so I'll post some feedback as soon as I can.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ran one on mine and didn't really care for it. Besides being a total battle to get it seated on the rim, it actually wore out way too fast (PR 3's). I replaced it with a 190/55 PR 4 and am much happier. No more 180's for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm new to the world of touring tires, having been exclusively a sportbike guy forthe past ten years.

Am I alone in the assessment that the turn in on the stock tires (at a minimum the front) is rather terrible?

I'm only using the 180 because I have it as a takeoff from a single track day, and I can't bear to let it go when I dislike these stock tires so much.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Since you'll stretch the 180, it probably won't be much of an improvement over the stock 190/50.

I only changed the front tire (same size) to a Michelin 2CT and that made the turn-in and front end feedback MUCH better, even with the stock 190/50 still in place.

I'll eventually replace the rear with a Michelin 2CT 190/55.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Dunlop Q3's were a massive improvement over the stock tires. The turn in is extremely linear and smooth, and really make the Ninja feel like an actual sportbike. When I go to replace the rear, I'll swap it with a 190/55, but for now, the 180/55 worked quite well. It also was pretty easy to seat the bead, so no complaints there either. Cheers to getting rid of stock tires!

Oh, and for those curious, I'm running 36PSI front and 38PSI rear.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
So, when this tire wears out...

Will you replace with a 180, or get the 190 instead? Lets pretend the price is the same when you go to buy one.

Oh, and before you answer, have you tried the 190-55/17 on your bike?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't had a 190/55 on this bike before, but I do have experience going from a 190/50 to a 190/55 on my old Tuono.

I agree that on a 6" wide rim, a 190 is (albeit marginally) a better choice. When the 180/55 wears out, I'll be getting a 190/55. I don't expect the change to be as significant since the major driving factor is the 5% section height change from a 50-series tire to a 55-series, but I would tend to think that the 190 would be even a little bit better still.

The attached image from a good Sport Rider article explains the difference pretty well.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have tried. Q3 190/55 on our bike for about 600+ hard backroad miles, then picked up a nail, and replaced it with a 190/50 q3, and it felt almost the same with the 190/55 but a lot different from the 190/50 oem. 180/55 is not ideal for a 6.0 rim but it would still accept it, and probably be easier to get chicken strips out of!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts