Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have researched all the differences between the 2 yrs.on specs/paper...have 2 low mile stock ones nearby...love the red '16 w/6k miles; the green'17 is within a few hundred $'s with lower miles, 2k, then the '16. Both bone stock and mint.
but thinking the green '17 factory upgrades make it more desirable..hands down....? true?...
Had an '11 and a '12 Z1000SX, Do the factory improvements on the '17 make it hands down more desirable?
I'm 69, going to put liteweight exhausts on (had urban brawlers on my earlier ones) and a Vstream screen and a sargent or corbin seat..along with murphs risers, block off plates too... Will I want Ivans flash on the '17? probably wont modify more then mentioned. I'm 6'1 210 lbs.
Is the throttle fuel mapping better on the '17? hate that jerky fuel cutoff at lower rpms...
Sold my C14,loved it... too heavy anymore...selling the Triumph 1050 GT current...but buying the SX before the 1050 GT is gone. I'll have an SX by the end of this week....!! The red color sends me...but the '17 improvements sound good...most riding is 150 mile weekend hi speed blast up in the country on 1 lane country roads...1 trip a yr to the mountains.
Thoughts...

·
Registered
2017 N1K IVANS FLASH
200 Posts
I have researched all the differences between the 2 yrs.on specs/paper...have 2 low mile stock ones nearby...love the red '16 w/6k miles; the green'17 is within a few hundred $'s with lower miles, 2k, then the '16. Both bone stock.
but thinking the green '17 factory upgrades make it more desirable..hands down....? true?...
Had an '11 and a '12 Z1000SX, Do the factory improvements on the '17 make it hands down more desirable?
I'm 69, going to put liteweight exhausts on (had urban brawlers on my earlier ones) and a Vstream screen and a sargent or corbin seat..along with murphs risers, block off plates too... Will I want Ivans flash on the '17? probably wont modify more then mentioned. I'm 6'1 210 lbs.
Is the throttle fuel mapping better on the '17? hate that jerky fuel cutoff at lower rpms...
Sold my C14,loved it... too heavy anymore...selling the Triumph 1050 GT current...but buying the SX before the 1050 GT is gone. I'll have an SX by the end of this week....!!
Thoughts...

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Now that Ivan flashes it, the 17 is the bike to have. I don't think I would buy a new bike without those electronics on it. You don't get the advanced stuff with the 2016.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
If you care at all about lighting, go with the 17. Biggest difference, IMHO, between the '16 and '17 was the addition of LED headlights. Personally, Ivan's flash was...meh on my '14. On the street I barely noticed any improvement except a bit more low end. My '18 stock throttle response is even better than the '14 (stock) was. I have no desire to get the '18 flashed with stock exhausts. If you're going with a full exhaust, maybe a flash would be in order. But I'm just a regular old street rider.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If the colour grabs you, go for the ‘16 bike as it is all the motorcycle you want. Yes, the ‘17 is superior on electronics (IMU) and lighting. The former isn’t critical to riding at all but the latter is. Budget for good quality auxiliary lights and go for something you giggle with joy every time you cast a glance it’s way. Motorcycles are bought on emotion, your heart has to sing. Ignore the electronic chatter of the mind.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If the colour grabs you, go for the ‘16 bike as it is all the motorcycle you want. Yes, the ‘17 is superior on electronics (IMU) and lighting. The former isn’t critical to riding at all but the latter is. Budget for good quality auxiliary lights and go for something you giggle with joy every time you cast a glance it’s way. Motorcycles are bought on emotion, your heart has to sing. Ignore the electronic chatter of the mind.
You mention weight as a consideration… the ‘16 bike is a good 8lbs lighter.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Either bike can have Ivan's flash. The flash you had, in 2014, isn't the same one as we have now. It's been updated at least 2 times, since then.

Other ounces have shown the stock bike is heavily restricted . If someone doesn't notice that, I miss it not being there, there probably won't be a fix for that.

Although the flash always unlocked full power, the updated flash had major improvements in the small throttle area.

I have quick turn throttles on both of my Ivan flashed bikes. Once you are able to access the unrestricted power, dimmer switch like, you don't need a huge range of motion to deliver it. My c14 is 30% less motion. The Ninja has a homemade cam, so it's even faster. Both work really well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sold the triumph today...probably gonna buy the lowest priced '17 N1K ...this morning....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How did you do on the Triumph? Did you have to discount it, or did you get your price?
got full asking price but it was far better than plain stock. very satisfied with that.
got a '17 N1K with 2,200 miles with a few bits on it...8495 but otd 9500 299 stealer fee...This was THE best price i could find after 3 weeks, 50 hours research, calling all types of sellers, all over...the market and vast majority of pricing is ...well you know
I would have been a full 1000 less a year ago or so...really cant complain because of the low miles, the thing is barely broke in, had 2 oil changes...now on to the mods, tall screen, risers, exhaust cans,( cant wait to drop 25 lbs) lowered pegs and she'll be the best...
BTW...Much smoother than my past '11 and '12....NO throttle chop at lower speeds...couldn't see buying another gen 1 after all the improvements made thru my '17....ultra smooth...really my favorite...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Something going on with prices, today saw N1K 2020 4500 miles for $11999(ohio), but bought mine 2021 with 450miles for $10999 few months ago. But in any case congrats 🎈!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something going on with prices, today saw N1K 2020 4500 miles for $11999(ohio), but bought mine 2021 with 450miles for $10999 few months ago. But in any case congrats 🎈!
Thanks...a lot of greedy delusional pricing out there...frankly I think I did quite well under the poor market conditions for buyers...yours is reasonable too.
Really like N1Ks...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts