Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get some miles in on the new wheels. Backgrd to this is I'm still sub 4000 rpm's (800K breakin period). All mpg's are based on Imp gallons.

First fill was 34 mpg. Mostly in-town riding. Thought that was low. Kinda was dissappointed with that. But, thought its 'tight' .. after break-in it will loosen up.

Next fill for 47 mpg. Much better and was more of what I was hoping for in this bike. Some normal around town riding, errands, etc but more out of town riding. I commute to work 1/2 hr ea way on hwy. By the way, I dislike in-town city riding. Too much worrying bout being cut off, staying out of bind spots, etc. No fun and not why I got this bike.

Last fill up was a 6 hr day. All hwy. But still keeping sub 4K which is hard. This was for about 3 of those hrs. Then, travelled thru a federal park very nice trip. Speed limit is 50 mph. Lots of turns and changes in elev. Also Los of wildlife hence the regulated speed (moose, deer, bears, etc) and saw all three yesterday. Did get the bike up to 55 and 60 in spots. Still, tho, basic cruising speed. And managed to average 51 mpg. Very happy with that.

Bought this bike mostly for touring and one and two day trips in mind. Love the torque, tho, and all that potential power and is going to be fun to expose that here and there BUT if I can get low 40's or push 50 or beyond in the fuel consumption, then I will be most pleased. It's comfortable, gobs of torque, flick-able (huge fun factor for me) and great on gas.

Highly recommend this bike to anyone who's considering one - but just not mine! haha

Reactions: sprockethead

·
Registered
456 Posts
Gas Milage

I'm at 5500 miles on a 2014 Ninja 1000. I'm very consistently getting 45 mpg. Most of my driving is weekend country roads. At 3000 mi. I changed my oil to Rotella T6 and my mpg immediately bumped up by 1 or better, also the shifting is much smoother.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All mpg's are based on Imp gallons.

First fill was 34 mpg. Mostly in-town riding. Thought that was low. Kinda was dissappointed with that. But, thought its 'tight' .. after break-in it will loosen up.

Next fill for 47 mpg. Much better and was more of what I was hoping for in this bike. Some normal around town riding, errands, etc but more out of town riding. I commute to work 1/2 hr ea way on hwy. By the way, I dislike in-town city riding. Too much worrying bout being cut off, staying out of bind spots, etc. No fun and not why I got this bike.

Last fill up was a 6 hr day. All hwy. But still keeping sub 4K which is hard. This was for about 3 of those hrs. Then, travelled thru a federal park very nice trip. Speed limit is 50 mph. Lots of turns and changes in elev. Also Los of wildlife hence the regulated speed (moose, deer, bears, etc) and saw all three yesterday. Did get the bike up to 55 and 60 in spots. Still, tho, basic cruising speed. And managed to average 51 mpg. Very happy with that.
I posted this in another thread and like you the mpg is Imperial.

As for fuel economy in the first 3000 km most tanks were measuring 5.8 L/100 km, but then it improved. On a 1000 km two day trip I got between 4.9 to 5.2 except for one stretch where the speed was 'spirited' and it dropped to 5.7 L/100 km. The qualifier is the terrain was mostly fairly flat and wind speeds would be under 20 kph.

The 5.2 sections were obtained running speeds of between 70 to 75 mph according to the GPS. My speedometer is out by 6% so indicated speeds were higher. The 4.9 section had some construction zones so I was running speeds between 50 and 70 mph. For the metrically challenged 4.9 L/100km is 58 mpg Imperial and 5.2 is 54 mpg.

I do not know why the fuel economy improved from a fairly consistent 49 MPG to over 50 other than I was probably more steady on the speed with a longer trip. I do have a throttle lock which helps a bit. Not as good as a cruise control, but does keep your speed from creeping up too much.

The other item is the stock seat is FIRM. There were cruisers in the group so we were stopping every 180 km or less for fuel. My range was 350 km so depending on the section I would top up or wait until the next stop. If I had to run till the tank was low instead of the hour and a half, my butt would be begging for a longer break.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are impressive numbers, KR52, particularly at those speeds. Consistency in the throtte is likely a must in any good mileage. What octane are you mostly using?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those are impressive numbers, KR52, particularly at those speeds. Consistency in the throtte is likely a must in any good mileage. What octane are you mostly using?
I use 91 Octane except the odd time I have to top up with 89. I can't feel the difference between the two nor see a difference in economy and that is probably because when you blend them you come out to 90. I have never run a full tank of 89 to see if it affects the mileage. You might have missed that the mpg are Imperial, which does make the numbers a little higher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts