Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers), 03 KTM 525 EXC
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
CEL is still on after riding to new POE. Unfortunate. Will have time to check out whats going on with it this weekend, hopefully. Or maybe tonight.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

Tire Building Sky Automotive tire Wheel

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
Would be interesting to disconnect anything that isn't oem wiring, if possible.

You didn't happen to connect something to that open wire,back by the tail light? It appears to be an open wire, for power, but it isnt, or it won't function as one for very long.

I remember it as I almost connected my pcv to it.

Reactions: TheUX31EGuy

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Been riding the heck out of this thing. Brings a smile to my face everytime. Pretty sure I've done a few power wheelies from stops. Love it. Except for that pesky FI warning. Hopefully have some time this weekend to mess with it. Truck is currently down, waiting for parts. Unfortunately, because of new job, have to have something to reliably transport myself to work. Whether it be the usual 7:00 a.m. start time or the good ol' 2 a.m. emergency call out. Good times.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Cloud

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Wheel
Plant Window Building Asphalt Road surface

Just had a new RS3 190/55 put on the bike. Feels better, not being flat spotted and all, lol. Needs a wash. Gonna attempt to sort out that FI light this weekend. Am really wondering if the ECU is jacked up.

As we saw prior, that resistor ended up giving up the ghost. Installed the healtech pair valve eliminator. That didn't sort anything out. Reinstalled (electrically) the original pair valve. That didn't sort out the FI light. Tried putting a jumper in the pair valve connector. The bike started to act funny. Funny as in, key switch on, killswitch on, engine off, the usual priming sound the fuel pump gives us, it wasn't the usual running till prime/pressure was achieved. It sounded like someone was intentionally flickering a switch. On-off-on-off and so on. This leads me to believe the wiring is fine back to the ECU. Perhaps when that resistor melted, maybe the ECU didn't like that much? Might be worthwhile to hunt down another ECU.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
Ivan shuts that valve off with the reflash. He would have noticed a damaged ecu and sent it back, unflashed, if he thought it had an issue.

I would check the grounding block, under the tank. Your bike was covered in that. I remember seeing the first pics of your bike. The underside of your tank was covered with that Bakersfield silt and/or Buck Owens ashes.

Grounding block is a really poor description, too, and about as unhelpful as it gets. As I recall, there is an area , under the tank that is hidden. In that spot 6 or 7 wires come together for a ground. It's easy to overlook if you are troubleshooting.

I know your error is specific, but I saw my ecu throw a code when I hooked up my fce. I had tied into the wrong grounding wire. The fce worked. The whole bike worked except for having to start it in neutral.

That's fine, but nothing I did had anything to do with the clutch switch or kickstand switch.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Any ecu damage would've occurred after I installed it. My thought is the resistor melting, upset the ECU. I'll check out that grounding point. Think I've seen it once or twice. Probably clean it and slather it in dielectric grease. Or maybe not. Don't let all the plants and people misguided you, Bakersfield is a legit desert. I like the "Buck Owen's ashes" lol.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
I went through Bakersfield and it displayed 114 on the trucks temp sensor. I had to double check as I thought it might be the clock. It was still a nice place. I liked it there and I'll bet winter makes the 114 worth dealing with. No snow and 50 degree December's would be nice.

I don't know how to explain my thought here,but my amazing wiring job caused an issue that wasn't even related to the items I was working with.

Reactions: TheUX31EGuy
141 - 147 of 147 Posts