Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers), 03 KTM 525 EXC
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Nope. Reinstalling the exhaust servo didn't solve it. Guess its time to see if reinstalling the smog actuator solves it.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Remembered there's a service manual sitting on my bench. Took a gander at how to check FI codes on this thing. Bike coughed up code 64.
"Air switching valve malfunction, wiring open or short"

A smart guy would ohm out the two pins on the smog valve, then throw a resistor in there. Im just gonna throw the switching valve back under the air box.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
I guess I lied. The smog valve ohms out at 21 ohms when it's 99* F. Couldn't find a 21 ohms resistor in my mess, but found a 22 ohms resistor. Thing works and removed the FI light and the oil pressure light. Did I mention this thing sounds absolutely downright mean? Yeah, it does. Phone doesn't do justice to the deep tone of the exhaust.
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Tire Gas

Clipped the legs down a bit so it would sit right on the surface of the connector. Taped the hell out of it, then stuffed it into that black sock thing above the valve cover.

Bled the brakes with some quality, Motul 5.1 fluid. Damn the stuff that came out was nasty. Not completely nasty, just enough to justify bleeding it. Oil change was easy as pie. Or cake. Again, not very picky when it comes to those things. BMC filter & Ivan's airbox mod was pretty straight forward. Lord knows I can't follow directions exactly. Drilled three holes on either side of the intake snorkel with 1" hole saw. Left the resonance chamber thing in. Ivan said to NOT remove the baffles from the mufflers, as it's a dual outlet system. If it was a single outlet, then throw that baffle somewhere far and away. Might pull the baffles anyways for giggles. Might not, as they're tack welded and I'd hate to lose one of those damn things on the road lol.

Next up is replacing the sprockets & chain, buttoning it all up with the plastics, bleed rear brake & inspect pads. At some point I'll get that newer shock sent to traxxion for them to work their magic.

Might actually wash the thing, it's God awful filthy. I should be ashamed of myself for how dirty the old girl is.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
I always forget the plug that goes to the back of the airbox. I've probably missed that one a hundred times, or more. It's almost a tradition.

Isn't that clutch cool? I did the same thing when I bought my parts. I mean,anyone can make a part that is more complicated than the original, but to make something better, with fewer parts is as good as it gets.

Reactions: TheUX31EGuy

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Somehow this time, I didn't forget anything. It was something I purposefully omitted. Amazing. Just confirms why I wanted to replace my chain and sprockets. Sprockets look good for OEM, but the chain?
Eye Jaw Sleeve Wood Art

Think the front sprocket cover is trying to tell me something... gonna try out the cushioned front sprocket this time. Not sure how much of a difference it'll make, but the cost was almost the same as regular sprocket.
Font Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Auto part Machine

Thought for some reason it was super fancy and had the inner splined part connected to the sprocket teeth somehow thru rubber. Nope, the rubber is just molded to the outside of the metal sprocket. Still cool. Might be a novelty, might not. For a cush drive bike, it's probably not gonna make a difference. Damn it's hot today. 110* is too much for this guy.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Vertebrate Road surface Automotive tire Mammal Tire

Damn them pads are shot. New ones were nice.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

Tell you what, this thing straight up fucking flies now. It was fast before, but now?? It's a rocket! Smooth. Very smooth. Cracking the throttle in 6th makes the front end about as heavy as a feather. Kicking myself for not doing this sooner, honestly.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
I think Kawasaki worked extra hard on de-tuning that 11-13 bike. I always wondered if it was because traction control wasn't available until the 2014 machine was released?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
It's very possible they detuned/restricted it due to the lack of abs and traction control. Pdf service manual doesn't list it, but the physical one I have, think it said the california models were detuned to 70 horse? It feels like a completely different bike now honestly. Really want to take the baffles out, see how it sounds going down the road. Probably piss off all the neighbors doing that, but oh well. Really happy with how it's turned our. Tried sone aggressive downshifting and couldn't break the rear wheel loose. Think the slipper clutch works. Got that pesky 64 code again while riding. Think it'll take a bit more than a resistor to fool the ECU. Damn thing.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
I ended up with a set of Ivan bock off plates. The kit had the machines plates as well as a plug that replaced the valve. I don't remember much about the jumper plug. It's been there for many years.

I know I didn't need to do anything for the missing exhaust servo motor. That was shut off, but I left the jumper in place that the block off plates were supplied with.

My 2012 has everything removed as well as the Ivan branded block off plates. No errors in my bike.

It would have been fun to do all the mods at once, like you did. The before and after would have been more dramatic than my machine where I added the parts over a few months.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Ordered the healtech pair system eliminator. For now, just freaking out whenever I check the speedo because of the oil light on. And the FI light. Can't remember what brand the block off plates on this thing were. Guess it doesn't really matter. Don't know why the things didn't include the dummy plug to fool the ECU. Guess that's why the smog valve was just hanging out on the valve cover, lol. Been riding in this horrid 100° weather since putting it back together last night. Really fun. Definitely going to be guilty of plugging Ivan's tunes on the new member posts. Can't recommend his service any more highly than just SEND HIM YOUR ECU!!! YOU WONT REGRET IT! Well, you'll regret not doing it sooner. I sure as **** regret not doing it sooner. ****, even if you can't afford all the other stuff (exhaust mainly) just send him your ECU.

Wheel Tire Plant Car Vehicle

Thing is awesome now. Vesrah pads + ivans tune? Very very nice additions to this machine. The vesrah pads have a really nice progressive rate to them. Initial bite isn't enough to make you do a stoppie, but you know its working. Very minor pressure to get it to work too. The old pads took a fair bit of pressure on the lever to get working. Ivan wasn't lying about this thing acting just like a carb'ed bike. Engine braking is still there, but it's not as severe. Before, the engine braking was almost strong enough to give you whiplash. The engine vibrations are cut down drastically too. It's awesome. Only thing I see wrong with it is the damn seat. Need to reshape it a bit and put some nicer foam in there. Almost a little disappointed there isn't any backfiring or popping, but it's got a great sound to it. Currently has baffles in.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Yeah yeah yeah. I see that K&N sticker too. I'll replace it with the BMC sticker. That fender light is about halfway dead. Chineseuem for ya. Almost due for a new rear tire. Front seems alright to me. Probably get another 1.5-2k miles out of that rear.

Saw those black diamond carbon fairings. Things are absolutely downright beautiful. Shame I'd have to give up a kidney or two to afford the full kit right now, lol. Oh well. Probably get a set of those frame covers from carbon2race. Right side frame above the rearset, my frame is horribly scratched from the old 'stitch zipperpull. R&G makes some nice grippy frame cover sticker things, but the carbon has me drooling. Freaking gas is $6.29 for premium (91) here. Always knew times were rough when it cost more than $20 to fill up from empty.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
I had a forum member offer me his used Black Diamond kit, for about 1/2 price. The full kit. He had it in the USA. It was right after taxes, and it wasn't a good year. Still, I should have. It was foolish not to.

I wonder if there is a thinner substance , of any kind, that would compete with our frame paint? I know science has been able to some wonderful things, but they can't match that paint thinness.

You mention the carbed bikes. It really sucks that we have to go through the flash process to match them. It pretty much has to be an Ivan's flash if you care about partial throttle. The others don't have the ecu access to know what restrictions and problems they are dealing with. People pit up with it because most have not ridden long enough to know what good is. You have to go back a long way before emissions wasn't an issue for bikes.

Efi. Talk about a product that can be good, or evil. I know it has some advantages, but not really for anyone who cares to have your bike run properly.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Ah man, talk about a rock and a hard place. Shame. I think EFI is a wonderful thing. IF!!!! IF it is tuned correctly. These things come jacked up from the factory to comply with emissions. EPA says if you're not on the throttle, the bike shouldn't be using any gas. What a load of BS. That's why the engine braking is so brutal from the factory. I'd agree, most don't ride enough or haven't ridden long enough to notice the partial throttle.

Mentioned all this stuff I've done to the bike (especially the ecu tune) and they're looking at me sideways saying "why are you wanting more power???" It's not about more power. I mean yeah more power is nice, but the rideability is what I'm concerned with. If it's rides like ****, then what needs to be done to correct that? I mean, before the tune and goodies, I already made up my mind that this bike will be part of the stable for a very long time. After the tune and goodies? Yeah, good luck getting me to sell this one. Ain't happening. Be interesting the next time we (my lady's father and brother-in-law) go for a ride and do a wife swap. The BIL fell in love with this bike. Not enough to get one of his own "they're too expensive, and I don't need all the bells and whistles". Oh well, lol.

Now to sort out the KTM sumo. Got some wheels off a 625 KTM SMC. 17x3.5 front and 17x5 rear. Rear has cush drive. So nice. Only **** part is the rear has asymmetric spoke lengths. Rotor side is one, sprocket side is another. Spokes and nipples have rust spots. Will try some 0000 steel wool. Buddy recommended scotchbrite, but I don't want to jack up the spokes anymore than they are, lol. Might be worth unlacing them, cleaning the spokes, hubs, and nipples up. Then sending the whole lot off to be powder coated. Thinking black on black on black on black, since black is the new black.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Tell you what, RC. the KQR panniers and their mounts, so damn clean and slick looking without the panniers. Really like how slim the bike gets without the boxes on there.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
Those boxes are nice. I don't have them as I have a Concours 14 that has bags, so I never really needed them. Ivan's flash, for that c14, is just as good as it is for this ninja.

Both of those bikes are examples of fuel injection not being well set up. I always enjoyed lacing wheels. It was rewarding to start with so many pieces and finally have them as true as they could become.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Something about the aftermarket bags for our generation, the mounting. It looks hideous to me without the bags on there. I got away with using a 10L then a 30L + 10L Kreiga dry pack bags as tail bag. Worked pretty good. Just threw the straps around the passenger seat and clipped it in. Of course then I saw the KQR bags and just had to have it.

Hood Grille Bumper Automotive exterior Tool

Tell you what, these pipes are starting to look good! I mean they did before but the goldening? Love it.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive lighting

Pretty decent burrito-fetching-mobile. God damn I love Mexican food. Shame it doesn't love me. Gotta love it when your doc calls ya and let's you know you're starting cholesterol meds. Something about it being critically high, lol.

Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire Hood Tire

Ram mount x-grip. Replaced the handlebar clamp bolt with their bolt with 1" ball. Works great. Can't run windscreen any lower than the highest setting when there's a phone on the mount. Have to bend the mount towards the key switch to run windscreen all the way down.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Cable Bumper

Handy little volt meter usb charger. Honestly use it just as a volt meter. Usually floats around 12.8-13.6, but sometimes runs up as high as 14.4 volts. Little bit high, I'd say. Heated seat is pretty much worthless in the South San Joaquin Valley. Almost feels a little too wide when putting feet down. Might need to trim some foam at some point.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
Somethi g else is up with your bike. Ivan shuts off the emissions pieces. I'm not sure what else is involved.

One time I used an incorrect ground wire. No big deal, except it made the bike to where it would only start in neutral. That wasn't at all related to the circuit I used, yet there we were. It acted like the clutch switch was broken

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Somethi g else is up with your bike. Ivan shuts off the emissions pieces. I'm not sure what else is involved.

One time I used an incorrect ground wire. No big deal, except it made the bike to where it would only start in neutral. That wasn't at all related to the circuit I used, yet there we were. It acted like the clutch switch was broken
I only see the 14.4 once in a blue moon. I wrote my info correctly on the paper, mods and all. Maybe he didn't see it. Maybe I forgot that tid bit. Oh well. Have the healtech goodie coming in today.

Can you believe I forgot to order the damn barring tool for my cummins? Get the rocker cover off and think " oh yeah let's see if this thing is at TDC or BDC." Then I remember. No damn tool. Try to get at the bolts holding the fluid damper on, just bar it over that way. Can't get at em. Then again, wasn't really feeling wrenchy this morning anyways. I'll wait for the tool to come in.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
Your bike has seen some weather. Did you clean the connector that's between the voltage regulator and the bikes wiring harness? You know, the one that was scientifically placed to be right where water flies off of the rear wheel?

As I taught myself, this ecu has some interesting abilities to be able to do unrelated things to what's really wrong. A dirty connection might explain this.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Yeah it's seen some weather
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Just got the healtech goodie from the mailbox yesterday. Will install it today and see if that sorts it out. Will also checkout the rectifier connection. Kinda funny they put it back there. That KTM has it up by the radiators. I can't remember where it was on that old ZX7R.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts