Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers), 03 KTM 525 EXC
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the time to give this machine some long overdue attention. (Not necessarily ordered in terms of priority or planned progression)

Ivan's tune
2014+ Ninja 1000 rear shock
Akrapovic full system
BMC air filter
Valve inspection/adjustment
JT sprockets and chain (factory ratio, currently running a 55 rear tire)
Vesrah brake pads
Airbox mod
Clutch mod
Oil and spark plugs

Some say these pads are G2G, and I'd agree. G2G to the bin.
Bicycle part Machine tool Engineering Metalworking hand tool Gas

Snagged up these stainless/titanium look akrapovic cans off Ebay. Some wrecker in San Diego pulled these off a Z1000. Should be delivered tomorrow. Along with that optional header from Akra. So it would be a 4-2-2? Or a 4-2? Either way, so much better exhaust flow.
Font Office supplies Metal Pen Auto part

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Completely forgot about doing the pair valve delete on this beast

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Artifact Gas
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Laminate flooring

Doc said I was heavy, and I agreed with him. So glad I'm on the path to weightloss!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

Can't have anything nice down here in the south San Joaquin Valley, damn dust gets into every single nook and crevice. The dust is evil. Then you got Valley Fever to contend with. Awful place to live, honestly. Miss Sonomarin area more and more as time goes on. If not for the weather, atleast for the great roads that make for good rides.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes it's a good idea to crack your valve cover off. Last valve check was at about 13k miles, only a few of the shims were tight. Now at 24,365 miles, some of these valves surprise me.
Rectangle Wood Brick Font Tree

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
I would verify the .457 valve. My guess would be it's measurement went off the mark on the first check, or it isn't closing all the way.

This sounds like, "Who the hell can't measure something properly?". In reality, this is like grabbing a stack of cheap copy paper and separating it into thick bs thin sheets.

Seeing the dust build up, I would remove the k and n filter as fast as I could.

Reactions: TheUX31EGuy

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would verify the .457 valve. My guess would be it's measurement went off the mark on the first check, or it isn't closing all the way.

This sounds like, "Who the hell can't measure something properly?". In reality, this is like grabbing a stack of cheap copy paper and separating it into thick bs thin sheets.

Seeing the dust build up, I would remove the k and n filter as fast as I could.
You know, that's the trouble with carpentry. Measured it once, cut it twice, and the damn thing is still too short. I'm thinking the 0.457mm measurement is off as well. Will recheck tomorrow. The dust build up is definitely concerning, but when you consider the bike lives under a carport of sorts, it makes sense given its in Bakersfield. Haven't ridden it that much being down here, honestly. Planning that with each oil change (5000 to 7500 miles interval, give or take), I'll clean and oil the BMC. Running heavy equipment in the Valley quickly makes it crystal clear WHY we don't run oiled filters. But that's in the dirt and dust. For the pavement pounder that this Ninja is, thinking it'll ride alright.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got in those dual Akrapovic titanium slip-ons, thanks FedEx. Now if USPS can get their stuff together and get the header delivered. What the hell kind of vague tracking update is this?
"In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility."
Almost makes the whole point of tracking, very damn pointless.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.g
You replaced the shock with an OEM?
Not quite. Found a newer (used) shock with remote preload. Going to be sending it to Traxxion for them to work their magic. Already have the newer passenger pegs with the mounting holes for the preload adjuster. Gonna be a quick minute before I send it off to Traxxion, wallet is still glowing, haha.

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
Look in the airbox, under the filter and that will give a good indication of how it works. Just like we would on the industrial equipment, although all these filters are garbage as compared to the heavy equipment filters.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look in the airbox, under the filter and that will give a good indication of how it works. Just like we would on the industrial equipment, although all these filters are garbage as compared to the heavy equipment filters.
Honestly it's not that filthy before the filter in the airbox. Really don't ride much when it's hot and dusty out. Really ride this thing in the "winter"/not summer/less summery months here in Kern County. The filtered side is definitely clean, to my standard. Which could be completely out of wack to what the "standard" should be.

Nice. Good move.
Send that wallet my way before you empty it. I need to allot as well :)
You're gonna have to fight my old lady over that one, lol. She's tolerating this because I'm "fixing" the bike. Says I need to stop spending so much money on toys and more on retirement. Well, God damn it! How am I going to enjoy retirement if I ain't got something worth riding?!

Reactions: Rock

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check this out, Gents. Honesty dig the dromedary box for the bikes. 登录 Facebook

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
I like the Freightliner. I went to Vegas for a drag racing event. The trucks and support equipment was as cool as the race.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but if you haven't had Ivan reflash your 2012, you need to stop everything and send it in, today.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the Freightliner. I went to Vegas for a drag racing event. The trucks and support equipment was as cool as the race.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but if you haven't had Ivan reflash your 2012, you need to stop everything and send it in, today.

Actually just mailed it off the other day. He should have it by Monday.

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
I can't wait for your ride report once you get it back

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can't wait to have the bike back together. She's sitting in pieces for the moment. USPS is now "looking" for the akrapovic exhaust manifold that is somewhere in their LA facility. I'll probably end up finding the damn thing on Ebay/marketplace/offer up 🤦‍♂️
Thanks USPS.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure which I'm gonna like riding better once I'm done with building them... The '12 N1K or the '03 KTM 525 EXC that's getting a sumo conversion. Sourced some 625 SMC wheels and appropriate adapters/spacers to make it work. Shame Kawasaki hasn't had any models to compete with those bigger KTM's. I mean, there's the KLX300SM, the KLX250SF, and of course the conversions folks have done with the Kawi MX bikes. Larger street legal enduro or sumo would be badass. There was a dude out in Lompoc selling a '93 KLX650C. Was looking at doing a sumo build on that, but sourcing the parts for the engine on that bike just didn't turn out a very fruitful endeavor. Oh well. Long live the RFS!

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
They appear to be ok with KTM owning off-road, and that midsize single market, don't they?

1 - 20 of 143 Posts