Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
When did you move and how close to the twisties are you now?
I moved in February. I can do a 160 mile loop of the of the threes and be home around noon :). I run at least a couple of the threes 3-4 times a week.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I moved in February. I can do a 160 mile loop of the of the threes and be home around noon :). I run at least a couple of the threes 3-4 times a week.
Very nice. I enjoy the same sitch but I'm lucky if I get in two rides a week (other than commuting). I'm looking forward to many more when I retire!

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Got a quick 100 mile run in today between downpours. I'm jealous of both you guys. My favorite road was covered with wet leaves and mud that not even Roadsmart IIIs could get a grip on...:(

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
215 Posts
Got a quick 100 mile run in today between downpours. I'm jealous of both you guys. My favorite road was covered with wet leaves and mud that not even Roadsmart IIIs could get a grip on...:(
Yeah but in my case I have to constantly hear about friggin droughts.

• Sad
Reactions: kenors

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was thinking about this today. I have both bikes mentioned, and post occasionally on forums related. The forum for this bike is way more active, and has had a lot of new members this year, and alot of them bought the new (very well done) Ninja 1000. On the other forum, I rarely see any new members that bought the new ZX10R. That bikes been updated just twice since 2011, and the new gen 2021 bike is FUGLY. The changes are pretty minor too, just a better suspension and a little more top end.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
I know covid pricing has changed things, but that's part of how stock based racing has screwed us..offroad is a similar story. I guess rhe plan was for affordable Professional racing?

Kawasaki has an old bike that's good enough to win...barely, but it is,, and the Yamaha isn't much newer. It took Yamaha 6 Years and lots of penalties to have a competitive machine.. Honda had to do something. For all their success, they might as well have kept the old bike.

If Kawasaki builds a new bike,, they go back to square 1. But, no one wants a zx10 with a new fairing. They don't sell many, and it becomes a full circle jerk.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's got to be rough, being expected to update a bike yet keep it at the same price point, and also develop entire new bikes (EV, maybe hydrogen LOL). Which is why there's basically been no new bikes from Japan in a while. We'd all just be happy with a racebike with decent midrange that can be ridden by people larger than jockeys. But we'll never get that of course.

I really am going to have to ride a K5 Gixxer or the Widowmaker one day.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
You know, by the time we start discussing 1000cc, performance motorcycles, we are way down the rabbit hole.

They say Kawasaki sold 370,000 motorcycles, worldwide, in 2020. 499,000 in 2019. Kawasaki motorcycle sales are nothing compared to Honda.

The search said "Honda sold 19.3 million motorcycles worldwide and about 330,000 to motorcycle shoppers in North America, a volume which increased by 2,000 in 2021."

Even if those figures are off by 50%, Honda could stop selling 500cc +bikes and not even notice the loss.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
873 Posts
You know, by the time we start discussing 1000cc, performance motorcycles, we are way down the rabbit hole.

They say Kawasaki sold 370,000 motorcycles, worldwide, in 2020. 499,000 in 2019. Kawasaki motorcycle sales are nothing compared to Honda.

The search said "Honda sold 19.3 million motorcycles worldwide and about 330,000 to motorcycle shoppers in North America, a volume which increased by 2,000 in 2021."

Even if those figures are off by 50%, Honda could stop selling 500cc +bikes and not even notice the loss.
Wow. That's a lot of Groms

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Wow. That's a lot of Groms
Not quite, but they are smaller bikes to be sure. See:
Honda Motorcycle sales in Karnataka cross 4 million vehicles - Times of India

This discussion goes around every few years. The fact is We motorcyclists in the US are lucky to have any say in what comes our way since US mc sales are not gonna make them much (any?) money. Even European motorcycle sales dwarf that of the US at 1.7 million bikes this year. (Ever wonder why our bikes meet EURO standards?) We (US public, NOT people on this forum) just don't buy motorcycles.

And all us who like Kawasaki ought to be concerned about their lack of world wide sales...

Reactions: MicMac

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
You should go to the Honda India web site.
Their small bike line up is insane.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
You should go to the Honda India web site.
Their small bike line up is insane.

I did. But I would have said awesome! H'mmmm, I wonder where the majority of the R&D $$$ are going???

I just read a statistic that nearly 75% of all vehicles on the road in India are 2 wheeled. It's 3% for the USA.

And another chart that leaves me shaking my head in disbelief...

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Isn't it funny how we are a society that's heavily based on performance.....yet, we see this?

Did you see the cb350rs, on rhe India page? I'll bet Honda could sell that here and do really well. That bike looks good, and would be a fun neighborhood bike.

That Harley figure is way lower than they were...go figure?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Doing the math on the CB350RS: 400 pounds, 348cc, 20 bhp, $2600. You really think it would sell here? I doubt Honda America's marketing agrees with you or it would be here. Or maybe bringing it up to EPA standards would make it too costly? It is a pretty bike and practical. But when has an an American ever bought a bike for practical transportation reasons? (Except for me in the 60s and 70s?) (OK, and @57x 's daily commuters? :) )

It also begs me ask...a 1973 CB350 in the USA was 375# wet, 325cc, 36 bhp, ~$750 (1973 $) Nevermind...twin vs single.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
I don't know....Not for a performance minded person, but the bike fits that role like our old bikes did. Fun, reliable and cheap. A good way to get people into motorcycles. I haven't looked, but is the Grom the cheapest Japanese motorcycle that's street legal?

If they could sell it for 2600, maybe? That is Chinese bike like pricing. A Grom starts at 3300, and this would be way more motorcycle than that. Hondas cb300 sells for 4950.00.

Based on their total sales numbers, they probably wouldn't even notice if they sold them here.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Doing the math on the CB350RS: 400 pounds, 348cc, 20 bhp, $2600. You really think it would sell here? I doubt Honda America's marketing agrees with you or it would be here. Or maybe bringing it up to EPA standards would make it too costly? It is a pretty bike and practical. But when has an an American ever bought a bike for practical transportation reasons? (Except for me in the 60s and 70s?) (OK, and @57x 's daily commuters? :) )

It also begs me ask...a 1973 CB350 in the USA was 375# wet, 325cc, 36 bhp, ~$750 (1973 $) Nevermind...twin vs single.
Yeah, my practical daily commuter..... I just bought a turbo ZX12R with 315 rwhp. Practical .......

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeah, my practical daily commuter..... I just bought a turbo ZX12R with 315 rwhp. Practical .......
You really have the best garage of all time...
It's hilarious that you just bought a turbo ZX12R after spending so much time modding the blue one. I mean I would too if I could.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You really have the best garage of all time...
It's hilarious that you just bought a turbo ZX12R after spending so much time modding the blue one. I mean I would too if I could.
I'm not wealthy by any means. I buy and sell bikes and parts as a hobby. It makes me available to see great deals that others may not. I can take this turbo 12 and pull the turbo kit to sell for more than I bought the bike for. I won't have it long. I'll quickly restore it add a few toys and easily double my money when I sell it.

My fortunate thing is I have more tools than most dealerships that I have accumulated over 40 years and have either the experience or friends to help me do whatever I need to do.

I just traded my 06 GSXR750 track bike for an 07 GSXR1000. I happen to have a C&S stretch swingarm and a Yosh pipe laying on the floor. I'll send the rear wheel to Kosman to widen it so I can put on a 240 tire, add some lights, and again, double my money when I flip it. I'm doing similar with an 01 GSXR1000 I recently bought by adding 6" extensions and lowering it, then making a bunch on it. I'm in Houston, there are no corners unless you count freeway ramps. Long, lowered, blingy and fast is the game here.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
That's the first one I thought of...

Reactions: 57x

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm not wealthy by any means. I buy and sell bikes and parts as a hobby. It makes me available to see great deals that others may not. I can take this turbo 12 and pull the turbo kit to sell for more than I bought the bike for. I won't have it long. I'll quickly restore it add a few toys and easily double my money when I sell it.

My fortunate thing is I have more tools than most dealerships that I have accumulated over 40 years and have either the experience or friends to help me do whatever I need to do.

I just traded my 06 GSXR750 track bike for an 07 GSXR1000. I happen to have a C&S stretch swingarm and a Yosh pipe laying on the floor. I'll send the rear wheel to Kosman to widen it so I can put on a 240 tire, add some lights, and again, double my money when I flip it. I'm doing similar with an 01 GSXR1000 I recently bought by adding 6" extensions and lowering it, then making a bunch on it. I'm in Houston, there are no corners unless you count freeway ramps. Long, lowered, blingy and fast is the game here.
Interesting...chrome though 🤢
Since you're getting that much horsepower with the turbo kit on the ZX12R, it begs the question why anyone would buy an H2 when you can buy a turbo kit for most big bikes.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts