Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have 2014 1k Kawasaki ninja and I live in SF.
$1,600 sounds a lot.

What do you think?

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
That is a lot, but I'm not sure what you are supposed to do about it. The valve adjustment is a big job. Did they quote you for a "major service" where they also lubricate the steering head and suspension linkage?

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
186 Posts
I'm a three hours south of you. Shop rates here are ~120/hr and the book time for Ninja 1000 valves + spark plugs is 7 hours. Comes out to $840. Still a big yikes.

Reactions: YellowHat and Bc2

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would just do the entire job myself but, if I were you, I'd at least pull off as much plastic as possible, keep it safe at home, and not pay someone $120/hour to pull it off and put it back on again. It's not like they have a nice, clean table in the shop where they're going to lay out all your fairing pieces on a towel, you know?.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
We need more info. Something tells me this isn't for a valve adjust, by itself I don't know if a Kawasaki dealer would agree to do just a valve adjust? My thought is he got a price for the 16,000 mile maintenance?

If he needs a valve adjustment, he has to have at least 16,000 miles on the bike. Isnt that the first scheduled valve check...USA bikes? If so, that maintenance also includes an air filter swap, coolant, fuel filter, brake fluid, and steering head bearing service.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
OP's thread title suggests it's valves, oil change and spark plugs.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I’ve never paid more than 800-900 for a full service that includes valves. That includes 1600 BMWs and a Ducati. The truth is I have not had a single valve out of spec on any bike I’ve owned in the past 16 years

·
Registered
75 Posts
The licensed Kawasaki dealer here charges $200 for oil change and $500 for spark plugs. So I won't change the sparkplugs until 15k and might skip valve checks until 30k.
In General McAuliffe's words, "Nuts!" An oil change can be done with $35 in supplies and 20 minutes time. Spark plugs, another $35 and two hours, maximum.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
This is partly why I may never get valves checked again. Having had it done 3 times on 2 N1ks ($800-$1100) and never had a valve out of spec I'll wait for some other sign that things need to come apart before having it done. Reliable Japanese bikes have really hurt the service industry I think. There used to be at least 3 independent shops that I could go to for service and now there are none. Even our big dealership that used to have 3-4 mechanics now has 1 that knows what he's doing + another that does mostly tires and oil changes. They also can't get stock and their showroom floor is half empty. They also told me that if it wasn't for selling quads & jet skis as well they'd be out of business. It's a tough time for motorcycle shops and it kind of feels like a downward spiral.

• Sad
Reactions: YellowHat and Bc2

·
Registered
823 Posts
Based on what I have read most N1K bikes don't have any valves out of specification at the first service interval of 16,000 miles. If you don't ride your bike too hard you are probably fine to skip the first inspection.

I stripped my bike down of all the fairings and hauled it to the shop. For 500 bucks they did the valve inspection and throttle body synchronization. I had skipped the first interval at 16,000. At 33,000 miles mine had four exhaust valves and one intake that needed new shims, and those were not out by much. Bike runs like new.

Reactions: YellowHat

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is San Francisco we're talking about. One of the top 5 most expensive cities in the country. The shop rates there average around $150/hour so it sounds reasonable to me. Best case scenario is the valves are within spec and all OP needs is an oil change and new spark plugs and the bill would be around $1,200.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you very much for the replies.
1. SF was the most expensive city for 14 years, until last month NYC took the first place. The median rent for 1 BD here is $2.8k. (it's madness).
2. The store gave me an updated range: between $1.2k to $1.4k. Hourly rate is $150.
3. If you will take a look at the service manual, there are other things that make this service expensive as well:
  • Fuel filter - replace
  • Fuel hose - replace
  • Coolant, water hose and O-ring - replace
  • Engine oil (*C) and oil filter - replace
  • Brake fluid (front and rear) - replace

** Steering stem bearing: the store told me they will not do
* Chassis parts: need to check if they will do.

After reading your comments, I understand that ~1.3k is a normal price for this service and the location.

I usually doing all of the other services by myself: (chain, brakes, tires etc.).
It's OK to let the professionals do the Valve clearance, as this require time, energy and experience.
My current mileage is 48k, the previous owner checked the Valve clearance when the moto had 16K.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Call up Evolution Motorcycles in San Jose. Schedule an appointment and ride it down the night before. Take CalTrain home. Uber to the station will be a few bucks. Take the train back down the next day and ride it home. Frank is good people! It will be way cheaper.

You can stop at Alice's both ways in the ride. It's well worth the detour.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The licensed Kawasaki dealer here charges $200 for oil change and $500 for spark plugs. So I won't change the sparkplugs until 15k and might skip valve checks until 30k.
I'm coming to FL a couple times this winter. I sold the damm Hardley because it just sucks (yeah, I know, it's a Hardley) and am bringing it to a buddy in SC, then swinging down to pick up my two ZX10Rs in Miami I bought some time ago. I have another trip a couple months later to pick up my Bimota and my ZX-7R fairings that are at my painter in Fort Meyers (yes, he's that good a painter).

I'll stop by and do an oil change, spark plugs and a valve adjustment for half price.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently paid $1800 for the major service (oil, plugs, fork oil change, valve adjust, brake fluid change, new battery, etc.) for my BMW 1000RR. Yours sounds "within the ball park" to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would just do the entire job myself but, if I were you, I'd at least pull off as much plastic as possible, keep it safe at home, and not pay someone $120/hour to pull it off and put it back on again. It's not like they have a nice, clean table in the shop where they're going to lay out all your fairing pieces on a towel, you know?.
I found taking off the plastic difficult and broke off one of the lugs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found taking off the plastic difficult and broke off one of the lugs.
A trick I used to do on my Gold Wings and have employed on my Ninja also, is to coat the inside of the rubber grommets with a good silicone grease. It sure makes it easier to remove and replace the fairing pieces.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts